What's new

MKX tournament stage selection?

Which stage selection rule for tournaments?

• Total voters

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
So I'm aware that variations have been pretty much decided on variation lock no matter what. But has their been any answers to what we are doing for stage selection? MK9 was Courtyard and then loser selected the next stage. Injustice it was 50/50 and loser selected after. This time for MKX there is an actual "random" button for stage selection. So will we have random stage no matter what? Or are we still doing loser selects?

Me personally I would rather see stages random so we don't have the constant counter picking of stages and let fate decide on stages. How about everyone else?

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Stages might be the same size this game, if so intractable advantage would have to be the only thing considered which would be just go random if people can't agree. And as far as I'm aware interactables are universally mechanically similar among characters

And just so you know not every tournament is running var lock. I know one isn't.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Stages might be the same size this game, if so intractable advantage would have to be the only thing considered which would be just go random if people can't agree. And as far as I'm aware interactables are universally mechanically similar among characters

And just so you know not every tournament is running var lock. I know one isn't.
I agree that size will definitely be factored in. This is another reason why I would like to see the random stage select used over loser selecting stage as it is based on RNG vs attempt at player (loser) advantage. Counter picking stages after 2 games worth is something I personally not a fan of. As a spectator it seems almost stupid if I didn't understand the tournament scene. I would like to see all stages not 2.

cfw

Toys can't save you!
I am not a tournament player, but it should be random every time.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I don't even know why stage select was ever a dispute in NRS games. Random, just like everything else (sept for SF4, 'cause they always like trainjng stage for some reason)

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
I don't even know why stage select was ever a dispute in NRS games. Random, just like everything else (sept for SF4, 'cause they always like trainjng stage for some reason)
It's because Injustice and MK9 had stage advantages such as stage size or intractables that favored their respective characters. I understand where your coming from. People just would like to be able to have the chance to counter pick not only their character but also their stage in order to attempt to favor themselves.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It's because Injustice and MK9 had stage advantages such as stage size or intractables that favored their respective characters. I understand where your coming from. People just would like to be able to have the chance to counter pick not only their character but also their stage in order to attempt to favor themselves.
Yea, why not make your opponent start with 50% health too when you lose?

Energy Crisis

new to posting, but I been a ghost for years
The were other variables in MK9 that some players didn't like. The shaking in the Kratos inspired stage. The fact that the street stage had cars passing between the camera & the characters (which I personally didn't mind given how fast the cars were moving I hardly noticed my character was out of view... Plus that stage had 1 of my favorite stage fatalities)

cyke_out

Noob
Variation unlock for winner if loser changes character. Winner must pick variation after loser selects character but before loser selects variation.

Stage is random select every singe time.

This is my ideal rule set.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Everyone has already decided on 50/50 random, the game even allows this everytime, just look at the streams.
Well I never saw posts about stages which is why I created this thread. So I wasn't certain on it. As for streams of MKX we only see the devs select stages. They pick the stages in order to please us so we don't see the same stage twice or whatever their reasons are.

I just don't want the community to end up changing their mind down the road when they end up finding out that. Stages are drastically different sizes or people find level specific combos for their character/variations. Just wanted to have a poll that everyone would see and hopefully agree on in either decision.
The 50/50 thing did work to an extent. There were very few times that someone may move their cursor and they would forget what they had selected previously. With everyone selecting the random button "everytime" now the issue is completely remedied.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Well I never saw posts about stages which is why I created this thread. So I wasn't certain on it. As for streams of MKX we only see the devs select stages. They pick the stages in order to please us so we don't see the same stage twice or whatever their reasons are.

I just don't want the community to end up changing their mind down the road when they end up finding out that. Stages are drastically different sizes or people find level specific combos for their character/variations. Just wanted to have a poll that everyone would see and hopefully agree on in either decision.
The 50/50 thing did work to an extent. There were very few times that someone may move their cursor and they would forget what they had selected previously. With everyone selecting the random button "everytime" now the issue is completely remedied.
It's in the consensus thread, the only thing we agreed on was 50/50 random stage