What's new

Question Can a fighting game be game of the year?

Can a fighting game be game of the year?

• Daniel Bryan: YES!YES!YES!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Daniel Bryan: NO!NO!NO!

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
oh you mean that 829,829 dollars they raise for their crowdfunding? Which was a combination of casual and competitive players. They're doing fine right now...and that game did sell well.

funny sidenote: There are actually people who bitch and moan about the tutorial mode for skullgirls for being too hard.
But where's "Skullgirls for indie game of the year"?

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Fighting games fall under a niche market. GOTY awards are usually rewarded to games with mainstream appeal. The reason fighting games don't have that is because of their learning curve. A casual going into any traditional fighter will play to see fatalities, supers, or other flashy stuff (or game modes), but not to join tournaments. There's not much lasting appeal if you're not going to invest the time to become better at the game, and there isn't exactly a universal appeal to "training" to be the best at a video game.

If you're not going to try to understand the meta-game, then there is virtually nothing going for traditional fighting games (especially Capcom ones). NRS is the only company that is trying to make fighters that break that barrier by incorporating many modes and unlockables, but implementing all of that is only enough to get fighter of the year, not GOTY.

I think the closest fighting game considered for this award was Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. lol.

IMost people don't even got the time to put in for an RPG.
By most people, I assume you mean 20+ year olds. =P

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
No most "gamers" dont like putting time into practice mode so they rsther plays game that require no skill like cod etc.
I'm decent at mortal kombat because I practice a whole lot. I suck at COD because I don't play first person shooters. You get what you put into something. That's life. Don't let you bias of COD let you believe that you could just get on there and destroy people that play it day in and day out. Everything requires you to learn....

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
But where's "Skullgirls for indie game of the year"?
Well Sly 1 didn't get much love either and went on to be a big bomb. Skullgirls made their money and id well. Sometimes you don't need media awards to say to did something. The Sg team already got ideas for another game anyways.

I think the closest fighting game considered for this award was Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. lol.
By most people, I assume you mean 20+ year olds. =P
line by line...

Nintedno and it's brain wash fanbase that don't even know what a fighting game is.

And younger too man...RPG take time..and there is a lot to take in.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Well Sly 1 didn't get much love either and went on to be a big bomb. Skullgirls made their money and id well. Sometimes you don't need media awards to say to did something. The Sg team already got ideas for another game anyways.
I know, yes, you are right. But you were asking if a FG could get GOTY. If it can't even get Indie GOTY how will it get to GOTY itself?