What's new

Question Can a fighting game be game of the year?

Can a fighting game be game of the year?

• Daniel Bryan: YES!YES!YES!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Daniel Bryan: NO!NO!NO!

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I asked this because a game like MK9 could have been a GOTY contender at least...and when I look at least Injustice...I see something that can be GOTY. I know the game isn't out yet, but this is just a thought. Why?let me break it down in three simple words/ phases.

Replay value
Content
Lasting Impact

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Of course it can. Its just too bad Injustice and Bioshock Infinite had to come out in the same year. :coffee:

No. Most likely not. I don't think a fighting game can be game of the year. it's more like a competitive sport than just a video game. they dont have deep stories that suck you in and have an impact on you or anything like that. and more people play first person shooters and games that don't require any real skill. bioshock infinite is looking like its gonna take game of the year.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think the problem is that it belongs to a genre that is not "that" popular compared to others like FPS and RPG

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I still need to play Bioshock infnite..Injustice is going to have a crazy storyline.

No. Most likely not. I don't think a fighting game can be game of the year. it's more like a competitive sport than just a video game. they dont have deep stories that suck you in and have an impact on you or anything like that. and more people play first person shooters and games that don't require any real skill. bioshock infinite is looking like its gonna take game of the year.
but a game like mk9 and possibly injustice have a very good story mode that told an excellent story.

I think the problem is that it belongs to a genre that is not "that" popular compared to others like FPS and RPG
an RPG doesn't take GOTY in less it's mega mainstream bro. Most people don't even got the time to put in for an RPG.

I still need to play Bioshock infnite..Injustice is going to have a crazy storyline.

but a game like mk9 and possibly injustice have a very good story mode that told an excellent story.

an RPG doesn't take GOTY in less it's mega mainstream bro. Most people don't even got the time to put in for an RPG.
so many people love skyrim. and mk9 does not have a good story :p . it was okay. but you can't compare it to something like bioshock

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
By mainstream gaming media? No.

Neither can things like racing games or sports games.

The only way MK9 or Injustice could win GOTY is if they removed all the fighting parts, the multiplayer parts, and replaced it with QTE in between the cutscenes.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
so many people love skyrim. and mk9 does not have a good story :p . it was okay. but you can't compare it to something like bioshock
you mean a storyline...hat actually ties up all the ends compared to one that actually has plotholes...i heard from reports they don't wrap everything up...and the plotholes in infinite are kind of rookie level mistakes if you love to write.

The only way MK9 or Injustice could win GOTY is if they removed all the fighting parts, the multiplayer parts, and replaced it with QTE in between the cutscenes.
That sounds like a bad game....but it features your favorite mk/dc characters.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.

Ouch! Asura's Wrath felt that one.

Posthuman

Where's TJ Combo?
No most "gamers" dont like putting time into practice mode so they rsther plays game that require no skill like cod etc.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I was thinking of MMORPGS like World of Warcraft, etc. Maybe Im wrong but those kind of games are more popular than fighting games.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Yes but the larning curve on FGs are steeper than those of other genres. And knowing most don't invest time in actually learning to play, most just say the FG sucks because they don't win.
even though FG devs have gone out of there to make the games as easy as possible?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Not going to happen. 'cause if they did, well...look at Skullgirls.
oh you mean that 829,829 dollars they raise for their crowdfunding? Which was a combination of casual and competitive players. They're doing fine right now...and that game did sell well.

funny sidenote: There are actually people who bitch and moan about the tutorial mode for skullgirls for being too hard.

It's possible, but not very probable. It just isn't an easy genre to get into these days because of online play. Back in the days, you were the best if you could use specials and beat your siblings and close friends. When these guys get online, they get bodied and discouraged BAD. It's, unfortunately, not a very popular genre, and it's not easy to get into or learn. It requires commitment at every level of play, and that's something "casual," modern, and average players are just too lazy to do.