What's new

Cage's Projectile?

leek

Noob
What's the general opinion on his projectile? pros cons?

Pros: -Can't be jumped, either version. 50/50 at full screen against sindel or kitana that does iaf.

-Ex-forceball is +5 on block, follow up when done to the frame is inescapable and gives HUGE chip damage if you want to close out a match. F33~ex-forceball grants an extra bar of meter once 3 volleys are complete and you can perform a fourth volley. F33B3 I believe, but don't take it to a tourney without testing, gives 5 volleys. again maybe not, so take it with a grain of salt.

-can make someone jumping around at full screen stay grounded. Makes a player think twice.

-some say you can trade with anyone with it.

-ex-forceball at distance can be used to get a free dash or two in with 4% chip, and keeps the opponent grounded.

cons: -Can whiff(low forceball) at about jump-sweep distance and high will not hit at all.

-sort of long startup and huge recovery. takes forever to get it out and forever to be able to block or attack again.

-standard version on block is punishable by pretty much anything from jump to sweep distance.

these are just immediate thoughts on it. anyone else? If there was a ranking from 1-10, 10 being the best and OP, 1 being so worthless it's better to use it for the WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT factor than the actual damage/meter/frame adv-disadv/etc

What's the general opinion on his projectile? pros cons?

Pros: -Can't be jumped, either version. 50/50 at full screen against sindel or kitana that does iaf.

-Ex-forceball is +5 on block, follow up when done to the frame is inescapable and gives HUGE chip damage if you want to close out a match. F33~ex-forceball grants an extra bar of meter once 3 volleys are complete and you can perform a fourth volley. F33B3 I believe, but don't take it to a tourney without testing, gives 5 volleys. again maybe not, so take it with a grain of salt.

-can make someone jumping around at full screen stay grounded. Makes a player think twice.

-some say you can trade with anyone with it.

-ex-forceball at distance can be used to get a free dash or two in with 4% chip, and keeps the opponent grounded.

cons: -Can whiff(low forceball) at about jump-sweep distance and high will not hit at all.

-sort of long startup and huge recovery. takes forever to get it out and forever to be able to block or attack again.

-standard version on block is punishable by pretty much anything from jump to sweep distance.

these are just immediate thoughts on it. anyone else? If there was a ranking from 1-10, 10 being the best and OP, 1 being so worthless it's better to use it for the WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT factor than the actual damage/meter/frame adv-disadv/etc
I would say 6 (normal), bad projectile when comparing with lui kang, kabal, ect because it can be ducked mid screen, but it has good air control and jump in. So fights against kitana, sindel would be like 8. Against other would be 6. But the most worth cost has to be the ex version for the ridiculous fram trap/ pressure, so if you have close up and a bar then it would be like a 9 or even a 10

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Forceball has to be a good candidate for the "worst projectile in the game award". Startup is meh, but the recovery is inexplicably bad. Seriously, just go into training mode and throw one then immediately hold block, its atrocious. Its okay in a few situations but is way to bad for regular use. I would not suggest using this if the opponent is closer than 3/4 screen or if the opponent has a teleport and somewhat decent reactions.

EX forceball on the other hand is amazing but not for its projectile properties, but rather its use in strings for traps and chip.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
I've actually been considering making regular forceball a bigger part of my game. People know it's such a bad projectile and thus never expect you to use it. I know for myself I literally never touched until I played against a kitana for a few matches and got bodied. Started throwing balls out of frustration, ended up doing a babality by accident at the end of the round. Go figure. Obviously, once someone gets accustomed to your pattern, punishment becomes a big issue. But letting your opponent know that you have options, like red kick, can make all the difference IMO. I'd give it a 6.5/7 out of 10 in terms of usefulness.

leek

Noob
Lol trust me I thought long and hard about what the pros were. It took about 10x longer to think of them over the cons..

I would personally say around 5/10.

it's useful if you throw it first in a trade or most importantly against wake ups in a safe zone (risky against teleporters), i always hit subby on his wake up clone
when you think about it it's a bad projectile but it's still there and no one ever sees it coming and that make is a tad better............i give it a 6.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Definitely has its uses

Like in the SZ matchup at fullscreen you can chip him so long as you dont trade with a freeze, thats a plus :p
It can also bait a freeze from him so you can Ex SK and get a lifelead, or if it baits a Ex Freeze and you're just dodging projectiles with nutpunch you'll be wasting his meter.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Anytime you knock them down and they are beyond dash-in-pressure range (like after a shadow kick), you can toss a free Green Ball and they generally have to block it because of the arc of the low GB. Cant duck it. So there's that.

I really only use the regular forceball against an opponent's wakeup, or for projectile trades to close out a round. Using it against Raiden or Kung Lao is risky, but I'll usually throw one out against Sub-Zero on wakeup. If I have a pretty good lifelead against a character, I may throw one out to trade projectiles or to test reactions.