What's new

Bottom 5 Character Project

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I think Tier Lists are about how the characters would do when played in the highest possible level. I think Tom Brady did took the character to the highest possible level, but patch after patch, new tech after new tech for other characters, he got less and less success with the character. Let's face it, there IS NOT new worthy tech for Sub-Zero out there to be found. There just isn't. If anything, a combo with 3-7% more damage than the current standard ones, with the use of meter. I dare ANYONE to prove me wrong. Really, do it. (Please).
The only thing that could possibly change his game right now would be a hard to escape reset or something like that, but I bet that won't happen.

You might get around a few bad matchups while playing decent-good players with SZ, but when it comes down to top player vs top player, most of the time the other character can adapt quite quickly/easily to your tactics.

Most of the people who say sub is top-mid or even top-tier (lol) don't play the character (and never will, most of the time saying they have done good with [supposedly] worse characters) or don't/can't take the game seriously enough to see how weak and avoidable his (few) options are. To me he feels a little like cage, but he doesn't really destroys anyone anywhere anymore while at least cage has the hope of getting in once and win the round.
I completely disagree with you about this character. I've played Sub-Zero since just about day 1 and while I don't claim to be a top player, I understand the character at a pretty good level. Sub-Zero is really nothing like Johnny Cage. The only thing they share is good offense but their offense is good for completely different reasons. Sub-Zero's offense is not a frametrap-based offense and never will be, it isn't even about staggering your strings with him, although you can sometimes do that with 21. Sub-Zero is 100% footsies, whether you're playing him offensively or defensively. 100% footsies. As a result, Sub-Zero doesn't really have a plan A and only a plan A. Sub-Zero is a catologue of a character; you dump all your matchup experience into him and respond to characters based on how they are played by the other person. You exploit any and all patterns you see in your opponent's game. The thing with Sub-Zero is while he has to get in, he only needs one good read to do it, and if you play Sub-Zero around knockdowns, as you should, in my opinion, there's no reason why you can't open up the most favourable aspects of Sub-Zero's offensive game, a lot of which does revolve around your mixups on your opponent's wakeup and your corner game.

Be patient, and fall like a hammer when you score the knockdown. I don't mean to sound condescending or arrogant, because I don't even think I am good enough to do it myself, but I know this character is better than other Sub-Zero players say he is and many of their problems stem from trying to be too one-dimensional in their approach to the character.

It's not necessarily a case of finding "new tech" with this character, in my opinion.

Panque

Random foreign guy
When I said he feels like Cage, I didn't mean he plays like cage. What I mean was that both have various weaknesses and limitations and won't do anything without taking risks to overcome them. The main difference is that i am much more afraid of getting pressured by Cage both at mid-screen and the corner than I am to get pressured by SZ. Cage has a lot more pressure options than SZ plus when he hits hard with a full combo, nut punch can be used to keep the godlike pressure going. Sub-Zero has few options, and will only do THAT great in the corner, still depending on many good reads now that almost everyone has armor and wakeup attacks work better. Of course his only option isn't pressuring, but then what? 25% combos off a clone/traded ice blast sometimes won't even encourage your opponent to use meter on breakers.
On paper, SZ has a lot of potential because stuff like the ice-clone, 2, 22, D4, b121 and corner pressure are really good, but it seems the whole engine conspires against him.
The thing is, CD Jr won't just jump in your clones all day. REO won't just let you slide on reaction to his iaGBs all day. 16 bit won't let you turtle against him avoiding fans and doing clones all day and so on. His options are just too few and avoidable to catch top players with often enough to be competitive. I'm not complaining, I like this character and I would main him even if he was shit-tier, but it's about time people stop being delusional and start listing him lower on their tier lists.

About tech, every day I come here I find new great stuff for the likes of Cyrax, Scorpion and Kabal on the front page. Considering they already are/were 5-5 matchups to begin with, do you think sub can keep up with these constantly improving tactics while he himself stagnates with a few unsafe gimmicks like b2 cancel?

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
The thing is, CD Jr won't just jump in your clones all day. REO won't just let you slide on reaction to his iaGBs all day. 16 bit won't let you turtle against him avoiding fans and doing clones all day and so on. His options are just too few and avoidable to catch top players with often enough to be competitive. I'm not complaining, I like this character and I would main him even if he was shit-tier, but it's about time people stop being delusional and start listing him lower on their tier lists.
I haven't played any of them so I don't really know what they'd do against my Sub-Zero. I have played against very good players, however, and I feel Sub-Zero is very competitive at the highest level. My losses are always down to me and not the character, and that is actually a fact, lol, as I don't feel anywhere near as confident with any other character as I do Sub. Foxy needs to pick Sub up as a fourth or fifth character as he does play a very good Sub-Zero, or he did, haven't seen him play him in a while.

Agree 100% on the damage nerf issue, Uigi.

You can see a lot of examples of Scorp's jp just winning for no reason when I played against Dizzy's Cage. It was pretty much the main reason I pulled it out. Its awesome lol.

A Scorpion X-Ray? Wtf? HAHAHA!! Wow..

Anyways, yeah gotta agree:

1. Sheeva
2. Sindel
3. Jade
4. Stryker
5. Cyber Sub Zero

Espio

Kokomo
Pig's head is going to explode. Lol.

That's a heck of a choice, though, but I'm sure it's not without reason.Aside from lack of good fights, what makes you bottom her out?

After I watched you Vs Detroit, I stopped underestimating Skarlet.
Just like guys like DanCock/Runway/the Sindelians have made me respect the Queen and gotten her some limelight.

As far as truly not-all-that-well-put-together characters, it really all comes down to Jade, sadly.
And she's far from unplayable. There's just too many people who are more playable/have further-reaching advantages. Does she even have an armored move?
Jade has armor on her shadow kick, staff overhead, glow(obvious, but just adidng it).

It's just her boomerangs that don't, I forget about her staff grab, I only use it as a combo ender, so I dunno.

Panque

Random foreign guy
and Panque, PLEASE READ THE POSTS IN THIS FORUM PLEASE
Oh of course, 17 pages of awesome bottom 5s, all containing basically the same characters. I sure will.
If the list had Kabal, I would think you were joking. Sektor is kind of plausible.

salvificblood Were those matches on the current patch? Did those players have experience on the matchup? Did they use their best character? If yes is the answer for all three questions, then I think you are way better than you think you are.

The damage nerf is ridiculous , but the worst thing is damage scaling... SZ's damage already sucks to begin with. Cyrax, on the other hand, has a WAY better version of the Ice blast and the scaling barely hurts him. In fact, he can do >70% damage with ONE bar off a net that hits (I've seen more). The most guaranteed damage sub can get is 55% on the corner with 3 bars :)x)... Fucking retarded stuff.

greguu

GOTCHA
1. Jade
2. Stryker
3. Sindel
4. Cyber-Sub
5. Ermac

This list was much harder to make than I thought it would be.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Oh of course, 17 pages of awesome bottom 5s, all containing basically the same characters. I sure will.
If the list had Kabal, I would think you were joking. Sektor is kind of plausible.

salvificblood Were those matches on the current patch? Did those players have experience on the matchup? Did they use their best character? If yes is the answer for all three questions, then I think you are way better than you think you are.

The damage nerf is ridiculous , but the worst thing is damage scaling... SZ's damage already sucks to begin with. Cyrax, on the other hand, has a WAY better version of the Ice blast and the scaling barely hurts him. In fact, he can do >70% damage with ONE bar off a net that hits (I've seen more). The most guaranteed damage sub can get is 55% on the corner with 3 bars :)x)... Fucking retarded stuff.
On current patch, I can go back and forth with good players and all their characters as Sub-Zero, apart from when I play against a few like Foxy and Jay. That's not the character though, that's just them being better and as I say, it really wouldn't matter who I played, the results would be the same. There are plenty of people who are better than me at the game so I try not to blame the character I play or the one I lose to. Sub-Zero can compete, honestly. I understand the frsutration as I;'ve been frustrated lots of times with Sub but he's still good. As an example, I've played against good Jax players, and I think Sub beats Jax which is apparently a matchup he loses according to many. It's all about reads with Sub. His damage sucks but you have to use what you have. I am convinced good reads are way more important than a few more points of damage here and there, anyway.

Also, remember that Cyrax doesn't have the ice clone and he's probably one of the worst to compare Sub to, anyway, just because he's retardedly broken, lol. I don't want Sub-Zero to be a broken character like that.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
After fooling around with Jade in practice mode I can rest assured knowing she's pretty much the worst character in the game.

14% off of an AA jump punch (and the combo may not even connect after the Dash 12, since the 2 is iffy)
18% off of a deep jump kick
only 36% damage on her most consistent BNB
only 25% average damage off her B2 AA
only 27% average damage off her NJP
You can crouch or D4 her X-ray and it will whiff
Glow often accidentally gives you low boomerang
Low launcher only gives 12% damage (16% if they don't block the first hit, 19% with jump punch)
No overhead normals

All that and her U3 no longer hits crouching opponents, which screwed over quite a handful of her match ups where she was relying on the move (such as the match up vs. Mileena).

To make up for all this, EX Glow is pretty nice, and her EX Boomerangs do set up good pressure...but this all requires meter, and just can't be sustained in a high level match.

IKizzLE

BloodHound

No...all you had to do was read the page the actual post was on.

>_>

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
No, this Sektor talk really is outrageous. The character literally has every tool in the game.

-Great anti zoning
-Good zoning
-Great pokes
-Good pressure
-Good throw
-Good 50/50
-Great EN moves
-Good damage
-Good punishers

I like how you guys are making a 6 FRAME JAB THAT LAUNCHES seem like a BAD thing just because it doesn't have godlike range. Jesus Christ. Let alone one of the best uppercuts in the game. His b1 and f2 are some of the best mid range pokes in the game as well. Come on son.

This crying about b34 needs to stop too. Especially you IKizzle since you already know what to do to make it good. b3 alone is a good poke, and every character in the game save for Mileena you can get the spacing down to where the opponent has to block both kicks. (Sektroll was very good at this) Mix in a few b3's to soften them up, get the spacing down for b34, then mix in some u3's and your good to go.

And if I can make Scorp's shitty wake-up moves work then so can Sektor players. Get over it.

Outrageous.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
No, this Sektor talk really is outrageous. The character literally has every tool in the game.

-Great anti zoning
-Good zoning
-Great pokes
-Good pressure
-Good throw
-Good 50/50
-Great EN moves
-Good damage
-Good punishers

I like how you guys are making a 6 FRAME JAB THAT LAUNCHES seem like a BAD thing just because it doesn't have godlike range. Jesus Christ. Let alone one of the best uppercuts in the game. His b1 and f2 are some of the best mid range pokes in the game as well. Come on son.

This crying about b34 needs to stop too. Especially you IKizzle since you already know what to do to make it good. b3 alone is a good poke, and every character in the game save for Mileena you can get the spacing down to where the opponent has to block both kicks. (Sektroll was very good at this) Mix in a few b3's to soften them up, get the spacing down for b34, then mix in some u3's and your good to go.

Outrageous.
Agreed totally with Slips here. It's insane to put Sektor in such list, even more that he is a hell of "underused" and/or unexplored in tourneys, and even this way, he has decent gameplay tools to go face-to-face with almost the entire roster of MK9.

I add to the fact he has the second faster dash speed, after CSZ. Sektor is good, people, it's only way underrated, but, he is for real.

:D

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
Last place: Jade
+ 1 : Sheeva
+ 2 : Stryker
+ 3 : Cyber Sub Zero
+ 4 : Kano

I think only Jade and Sheeva are really bad, every other character has something to work with, but the top characters make them look bad.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Smoke seems to have Mr Stretch arms in the air too
Air grab range is pretty diabolical too, its really good air to air, just most air to airs arent planned, so taking the airgrab is usually not what you are tryin to do.

Jump punch has insanely strange hitbox, sometimes i can jump in on a standing opponent and miss punching just above their head, while other times il JIP over the top of an anti air.

Kano is a 5-5 as is Cyber Sub in my opinion, Sonya is close to a 6-4 but i can't call that match-up in sonya's favor. I believe reptile is Raiden's only slightly bad MU.
true u have to superman efficiently to beat cyber, kano prolly isnt that bad considering the characters limitations up close. Reptile can be rough.. none of them are really "bad". personally i struggle with kung lao the most

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
After fooling around with Jade in practice mode I can rest assured knowing she's pretty much the worst character in the game.

14% off of an AA jump punch (and the combo may not even connect after the Dash 12, since the 2 is iffy)
18% off of a deep jump kick
only 36% damage on her most consistent BNB
only 25% average damage off her B2 AA
only 27% average damage off her NJP
You can crouch or D4 her X-ray and it will whiff
Glow often accidentally gives you low boomerang
Low launcher only gives 12% damage (16% if they don't block the first hit, 19% with jump punch)
No overhead normals

All that and her U3 no longer hits crouching opponents, which screwed over quite a handful of her match ups where she was relying on the move (such as the match up vs. Mileena).

To make up for all this, EX Glow is pretty nice, and her EX Boomerangs do set up good pressure...but this all requires meter, and just can't be sustained in a high level match.
okay yeah she has her issues is 36% really that bad for a bnb, xray is useless since you're usin meter constantly anyway. I thought the accidental boomerangs were just my lack of stick control. but low launcher turns into 30% percent if you enh shadow kick, shadow kick after and in corner is very good. i'm not sayin she's great but a jade player should be constantly glowing building meter and the accidental boomerangs definitely hurt that, which is a flaw that shoulda been addressed instead of nerfin her u3. her 1,2 is an awesome aa that goes into combo. with jade its not about big damage combos she's more about range of her normals her anti zoning zoning and corner game. with her you should be building meter doing constant glows and specials which are safe on block and when they start to pressure you with offense bam ex invincibility for 35%, but this thread is all about opinions and i'm definitely in the minority thinking jade isn't bottom 5.