What's new

Boon hints at Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batwing, Blue Beetle, Lobo & Story details

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Beast boy=/=Animal man.

Beast boy is not making it into this game, not in the base game, and not as DLC.
He has the same problem Shang Tsung does, NRS can kinda half ass Shang like they did in MK9, but not BB.

Ok well you just made my day !!!! "In the Titans Tomorrow alternate future from Teen Titans vol. 3 #17-19, Buddy Baker died in a crisis along with most of the other main DCU superheroes. His replacement as Animal Man in that future was Garfield Logan (aka Beast Boy)."

So Animal Man is essentially Beast BOy!!!!! Ok im good.. IM gonna main Animal Man

Reedoms

Noob
Batwing would be better as an alternate costume to Batman. I would love to see either Swamp-Thing or Animal-Man. I know it's a deal breaker for a lot of people if either got in.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Animal Man and Swamp Thing would be absolutely incredible as a nod to more diverse DC characters in general. It would go a long way towards showing more attention to DC's universe as a whole to throw these two in because though they are niche and not as well known as Bat characters they are tearing it up currently and on stage to climb the ranks. Plus the moveset versatility they offer designers is golden.

Blue Beetle is pretty much faster Cyborg in terms of visuals in a fight however his moveset would easily be different. He's known for flight, invisibility, blasters, Shooting these capture staple-looking metal bars that staple you to the wall, strength, and durability along with a lot of scanning abilities. He's basically about creating whatever tool he needs and that offers up a lot of potential.

Lobo is a beast with his regeneration and strength. Can reform from a single cell and generally is known for using large guns, his bike, and a chain with a hook on it. I could imagin him having full screen normals and mad chip like Ghost Rider in Marvel except with a few projectiles to mix it up and possibly even an armored normal or two. Maybe it'd be easier to call him Sentinel-like in his potential over Ghost Rider like. The Main Man would be one helluva good choice for 90's comic fans and for players alike with tools like that no matter which way he leans though.

Out of all of Boons hints the ones I am most hyped to see in order are:
  1. Swamp Thing
  2. Lobo
  3. Aquaman
  4. Animal Man
  5. Power Girl
  6. Deathstroke
  7. Batwing

If I left off anyone else he hinted at They Likely be around the bottom of my list with Batwing always in last.

n9195v

Noob
I said this when they first announced the game and I'm saying it now. If Swamp Thing is in this game he will be my main.

Flagg

Noob
The only DC characters I ever really liked were Lobo, Swamp Thing, Bat Man and Darksied.

"Blue Beetle" sounds like the worst character ever and I have no idea who he/she is.

Jaime Reyes huh? Victor Stone was already released, looks like they're covering their race bases. actually even without cyborg isnt batwing african batman or something?
I'd still like to see Black Canary. She'd be like sindel with better mobility, no hair crap, big damage, and she links into green arrow's story... yknow... cuz they got married and all (and... the aftermath)
and a wedding dress outfit would be amazing :D

shaowebb

I don't like white washing in fighting games and the amount of ethnic diversity in the genre has always bugged me so I'm excited for potentially more black characters in any fighter (especially after UMVC3 still refused to add any). However, I gotta say there are WAY better choices with bigger fanbases than Batwing.

• He's pretty unestablished so he's not well known.
  • He's definitely just going to be perceived as another "bat" character being worth more than anyone else in DC which will inherently insult the fans to every character not on the roster
  • He's not going to add a whole lot of new options in fighting style that aren't already being covered by other cast in some manner due to his toolset options
  • If they want to appeal to an audience by including more black heroes then why aren't they choosing their favorite ones like Static, Aqualad, Black Manta, Lightning, Firestorm, Steel, or Mr Terrific?
The whole idea of Batwing being added is just begging for the roster flamers to go nuts. The rest are all homeruns in my opinion and I definitely think Blue Beetle would be awesome because there are next to no hispanic super heroes around and he is definitely picking up a ton of steam with Teen Titans and Young Justice appearances. Guy is really well known in DC and offers a lot so he'd be a homerun to the players and the fans. Not like we ever got any latin characters in Marvel and it really bugged me that both them and the black crowds didn't get any representation especially given Luke Cage ,Black Panther, Elektra, or even Reptil has his own surprisingly loyal fanbase out or Superhero Squad and Avengers Academy.

Add more ethnic heroes? GOD YES! Bout time someone did something about diversity in fighters. Add Batwing as your choice? No...use someone they actually care about that doesn't come across as a token hero who is literally just trying to cash in off of their demographic and someone else's gimmick.

My top picks would be to go for Static, Firestorm, Black Manta, or Aqualad. They carry the most weight with the fanbase. Jon Stewart for a costume alt for GL should be a thing too really alongside of every other male GL.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I don't want Batwing in the game.

Nothing against him personally, I think he is an all right character.
However he has a huge bat wings, it would make him an annoying character that takes up to much screen space.
Just like Ogre, Devil Jin, and that one stupid ass alt for blanka.

If we needed a non white Bat peson, I would rather have Nightrunner.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I don't like white washing in fighting games and the amount of ethnic diversity in the genre has always bugged me so I'm excited for potentially more black characters in any fighter (especially after UMVC3 still refused to add any).
I partially agree. I think diversity does not mean "white and black" chars, there are also other "ethnic" groups, just look at nightwolf or liu kang in mk9, or Dhalsim, T.Hawk and Fei Long in street fighter. So no problem with the ethnic diversity as long as it embrace more than black and white.

shaowebb

I don't want Batwing in the game.

Nothing against him personally, I think he is an all right character.
However he has a huge bat wings, it would make him an annoying character that takes up to much screen space.
Just like Ogre, Devil Jin, and that one stupid ass alt for blanka.

If we needed a non white Bat peson, I would rather have Nightrunner.
He definitely has a better costume design and better visuals in his comic than Batwing does. The French Muslim Batman Inc guy has a pretty loyal fanbase too since his parkour gimmick appealed to pretty much everyone interested in the idea of a free running Superhero patrolling the city he knows better than anyone (in this case Paris). He also made a lot of sense with this gimmick given David Belle is the father of Parkour and it began in France.

He's the more popular of the two, but honestly neither really should make the roster over a lot of the other DC heroes that are laying off on the sidelines unspoken for right now.

Lets look at some unsung heroes just as an example.

• Plasticman
  • Booster Gold
  • Shazam
  • Black Adam
  • Black Manta
  • Steel
  • Aqualad
  • The Ray
  • Gorilla Grodd (yes I honestly put my most hated DC character above these two in roster viability)
  • Captain Atom
  • Dr Fate
  • Zatanna
  • Doomsday
  • Darkseid
  • Firestorm
  • Martian Manhunter
  • The Demon Etrigan
  • Starfire
  • Beast Boy
  • Black Canary
  • The Atom
  • Hawkgirl
  • Vixen
  • Vibe (for some reason people like him)
  • Hawk & Dove
  • Fire & Ice
  • Mr. Miracle
  • Orion
  • Blue Devil
  • Obsidian (has a following for being a really well written gay hero who doesn't come across as a stereotype. Gets mentioned a lot lately and he may be coming back using his shadow powers in New 52)
  • Big Barda
  • Geo Force
  • Starman
  • Adam Strange
  • The Spectre
  • Hourman (think beefed up Captain America for an hour)
  • Dr Mid Nite (black out bombs, control your nervous system, control heat or cold...Quan chi on crack)
  • Red Tornado
  • Atom Smasher
  • Phantom Lady
  • Ravager
...and it just goes on and on like this and I'm not even touching the one's Boons named and I'm leaving a bunch off by not going near things like Outsiders, Suicide Squad, or Doom Patrol.

Neither Nightrunner or Batwing have been around that long and even the more obscure dudes on this list offer more tools than them and while bizarre could offer at least more of a taste of what DC has that won't come off as just them trying to pander Bat characters or poorer substitutes for any of the really popular black heroes like Static most fans would prefer.

Those two would just be different takes on various things we already see covered by Nightwing, The Flash, Catwoman, Batman and even Harley, or Cyborg to a degree. Leave em both out for someone that has a bigger fanbase and more potential for gameplay is my opinion. I will be honest though...I just wanted to post a huge list of heroes from across DC for folks to look at and get excited over. Name some more folks if I missed one.

I partially agree. I think diversity does not mean "white and black" chars, there are also other "ethnic" groups, just look at nightwolf or liu kang in mk9, or Dhalsim, T.Hawk and Fei Long in street fighter. So no problem with the ethnic diversity as long as it embrace more than black and white.
Agreed. Street Fighter started off as a "world warrior" tournament though and its theme was to have someone from everywhere so its held up well and I got no problem with it, though. Its why all I mentioned was Marvel since it was a fighter and also hero based in its roster. Everyone else is kind of lagging behind though. Some are okay like Tekken or KoF to a degree but I think they could do better because most of what they have are stereotypes for those demographics and a lot of those weren't even viable cast. I'm still wanting a Filipino character in a fighting game personally and does every hispanic character have to do Lucha Libre?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice, I just hope we see Doomsday! That would make my day, this game is def buy anyway cause I love DC>>>>Marvel way more.