What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Can someone tell me what is the frame advantage on block for f2, 1 ? Looks better than f4 as a starter, longer recovery for the opponent, it makes same damages in combo (more without combo) and it's 9 frames instead of 13, the execution is also easier.

I really think we should use more f2, 1 as a starter, and also f2, 1, 2, (ex)-dc (a red dash slash combo can be allowed to this, and if the opponent is blocking it's still pretty safe at worse they just poke you). In this way, after using those a few times,when you will be doing the f2, 1, 2, 1+2 the opponent won't expect the overhead.

And can you advise me in what case we gotta use the b2 ?
The reason no one uses f2 unless the jip or a frame trap connects is because is 19 frames not 9, hits high and is risky because whiff against a crouched opponent

f4 is 13 frames but has fast start up , hits special mid, hit confirmable and has more reach ^^

b2 can only be used on Skarlet's BnBs, if you're trained enough you can b2 if a jip hit confirms, high level skarlets will take the b2 after they hit confirm the 1st string combo to down slash to increase damage.

for example: jip, f3,2 rd dslash, b2 dslash, f4 rd dslash, 2 rslide, this should hit about 40% meterless

Edit: Its a bit worthless just pull f212 dc to another string, if they crouch block on the moment you pull the dc they can poke you out and you will waste a meter and pressure advantage, i've tried believe me ^^

on the countrary performing the entire string fuels more meter and its interruptible, pus, you can dc by the end of the string and they'll be forced to block another string or what ever you decide to do.

ryublaze

Noob
Some stuff I want to ask/talk about...

1. According to Somberness 's recent posting about delayed Red Slide being neutral on block...does that mean you should always delay the Red Slide? I'm not sure if that gives your opponent more time to poke before the Slide hits.

2. Midscreen dagger toss dash cancelled into Red Slide can be jumped after the Dagger is blocked or ducked. Do you guys think delaying Red Slide would be good here because it gives you more time to react if they jump so you can do Up Slash?

3. After your opponent blocks Slide, now what do you do? Do you go for D1 into Slide again? D3 poke? EX Red Dash? I don't think there's any way to know for sure whether you delayed the Slide at the exact frame to make it neutral, so it becomes a guess. Even if you did make it neutral, only P1 side would win the poke.

4. Not really sure but I think Blood Ball's only uses are to get unbreakable damage if need be, and when you see the opponent lying on the ground. Since they chose to lie on the ground and not do a wake-up, they would have to block it.

5. Corner combo: F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Down Slash, B1, 1, 4, Down Slash, B1, 1, 4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2 - This combo has been frustrating for me in Training Mode. I don't think the second B1, 1, 4, Down Slash is necessary. It only does 5% more damage and makes it more difficult to time the 1, 1, 4 after the standing reset.

Somberness

Lights
Some stuff I want to ask/talk about...

1. According to Somberness 's recent posting about delayed Red Slide being neutral on block...does that mean you should always delay the Red Slide? I'm not sure if that gives your opponent more time to poke before the Slide hits.
It only affects using slide from range. No matter how long you delay it, it will still hit on the 8th frame. It's actually pretty hard to make it hit on the 11th frame because her forward movement almost stops, 8-10 are far more likely. You'll know it hit after the 8th frame if Skarlet gets to the point that she is lowest to the ground before it hits.

Warborn

Freebies for all
5. Corner combo: F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Down Slash, B1, 1, 4, Down Slash, B1, 1, 4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2 - This combo has been frustrating for me in Training Mode. I don't think the second B1, 1, 4, Down Slash is necessary. It only does 5% more damage and makes it more difficult to time the 1, 1, 4 after the standing reset.
That combo gives me a hard time as well! I have been judging on how high my opponent is in there air whether I will do another B1, 1, 4, down slash. EVEN if the down slash connects sometimes the 2 in 1, 1 , 2 will whiff. Too many holes...
I would rather sacrifice the 5% for the guaranteed damage + reset.

ryublaze

Noob
Another thing I want to discuss:

Let's say you knock your opponent down with Red Slide or something and your opponent chooses to stay on the ground isntead of doing a wake-up attack. Usually you can use D4 to pick them back up and go into Red Dash mix-ups, but something I've been messing with is doing the F2, 1, 2, 1+2 string while they are on the ground.

Every hit of this string whiffs since they are on the ground, except the overhead. The overhead hits them OTG so they must either block low and get hit into full combo, or block high and get stuck in standing block for EX Dagger blockstrings. Since F2, 1, 2, 1+2 moves Skarlet forward, it will still hit the opponent if they tech roll. I'm pretty sure the opponent can get out of this if he times a poke after getting up, but it's risky to do so.

Might make a video later to show this.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Let's say you knock your opponent down with Red Slide or something and your opponent chooses to stay on the ground isntead of doing a wake-up attack. Usually you can use D4 to pick them back up and go into Red Dash mix-ups, but something I've been messing with is doing the F2, 1, 2, 1+2 string while they are on the ground.

Every hit of this string whiffs since they are on the ground, except the overhead. The overhead hits them OTG so they must either block low and get hit into full combo, or block high and get stuck in standing block for EX Dagger blockstrings. Since F2, 1, 2, 1+2 moves Skarlet forward, it will still hit the opponent if they tech roll. I'm pretty sure the opponent can get out of this if he times a poke after getting up, but it's risky to do so.

does it beats late wakeups?

ryublaze

Noob
does it beats late wakeups?
If you choose to stay grounded (by holding down after a knockdown) you can't do a wake-up attack. You can tech roll anytime you wish though.

I just did some more testing and if he times it right, the opponent can get up and immediately go to crouch and poke while Skarlet is doing F2, 1, 2. He can also get up and enter crouch block animation right away to fuzzy guard the overhead. So I guess D4, Red Dash is the better option...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If you choose to stay grounded (by holding down after a knockdown) you can't do a wake-up attack. You can tech roll anytime you wish though.

I just did some more testing and if he times it right, the opponent can get up and immediately go to crouch and poke while Skarlet is doing F2, 1, 2. He can also get up and enter crouch block animation right away to fuzzy guard the overhead. So I guess D4, Red Dash is the better option...
It seems so, don't worry we'll find a way ^^

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

It also requires Skarlet to make a decision as well - either you assume your opponent is going to get hit so you do a red dash into up slash or you assume they high block it and you go into ex dagger cancel. It's important to look at the potential difficulties and commitment requirements when looking at a setup.

Personally I find either building meter by dagger cancelling, instant air daggering, or red dashing into ex down slash a lying down opponent, depending on what character they are and how the person plays. For instance against Cage I would backdash dagger cancel to get distance and try to lock him into blocking daggers, forcing him to advance or bait an ex shadow kick.

Tough mudder in the morning. I plan to have the first part (normals, specials, combos) of the video guide out by the end of this upcoming week. I've been getting a lot of projects at work which have spilled into my after work time or I'd have it out already. Sorry it's taking so long guys, I know I've been talking about it for awhile.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

ryublaze

Noob
It also requires Skarlet to make a decision as well - either you assume your opponent is going to get hit so you do a red dash into up slash or you assume they high block it and you go into ex dagger cancel. It's important to look at the potential difficulties and commitment requirements when looking at a setup
There's an extra hit after the overhead so I think you have a bit of time to confirm whether they blocked low, blocked high, or got hit.

Tough mudder in the morning. I plan to have the first part (normals, specials, combos) of the video guide out by the end of this upcoming week. I've been getting a lot of projects at work which have spilled into my after work time or I'd have it out already. Sorry it's taking so long guys, I know I've been talking about it for awhile.

Can't wait. Will be a good week for me next week since I'll be done with school too. :D

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I'm not one of them, sorry ^^, but despite the red dash you can ex-tp against projectile (fullscreen for example), you can roll + NJP when you see him jumping over you, you can stay on the ground, you can ex-down splash, it has an invincible start frame and a huge hitbox so if the opponent is rushing you while you're doing that wake up, he will eat a full combo., so the ex-downsplash is very viable but it cost one meter and it is useless if the opponent stay far away ofc (dunno about the ex-up slash, never used it).

The skarlet biggest weaknesses is probably her wake up (like quanchi or shang) that's a good point to know and maybe that same point make me think she's not top 5.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I'm not one of them, sorry ^^, but despite the red dash you can ex-tp against projectile (fullscreen for example), you can roll + NJP when you see him jumping over you, you can stay on the ground, you can ex-down splash, it has an invincible start frame and a huge hitbox so if the opponent is rushing you while you're doing that wake up, he will eat a full combo., so the ex-downsplash is very viable but it cost one meter and it is useless if the opponent stay far away ofc (dunno about the ex-up slash, never used it).

The skarlet biggest weaknesses is probably her wake up (like quanchi or shang) that's a good point to know and maybe that same point make me think she's not top 5.
thanks for the reply they were just the 3 off the top of my head i noticed dat about her db2 its slow but it seems to absorb a hit

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I find Skarlets wakeup game to be weak-strong depending heavily on the matchup. 11 invincible frames on an advancing special (red dash) as well as the step back+ducking motion of normal up slash are both situationally viable startups. Ex red dash obviously is an excellent wakeup to counter pressure to a combo or literally to run away. But other than that, I agree her wakeup game leaves something to be desired.

That said, as a player and not Skarlet specific, always be looking to turn weaknesses to strengths. An unexpected backdash to down slash in response to a jip attempt or advancing string whiff can turn down slash, a generally unsafe move, into a full punish. Things like that. Later guys, gonna see The Avengers :)

ryublaze

Noob
Getting 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger to hit in the corner (works on all characters):

As some of you may know, if you end a combo with 1, 1, 2 in the corner and use EX Dagger right after it it will fly right over the opponent's head. Well if you wait until the opponent is close to the ground and do 1, 1, 2 the EX Dagger will hit and you can go into F2, 1, 2, 1+2 easily. Dashing backwards before doing the 1, 1, 2 may help. You don't have to wait when doing high damage corner combos because they are already close to the ground. Examples:

F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, back dash or wait, 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger

B2, Down Slash, U3, U3, Air Dagger (Far), B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger

It is more difficult to do on Mileena for some reason but she has to be almost touching the ground when you do 1, 1, 2. I don't think it's worth it to do this on low hitbox characters anyways because the F2 at the end will whiff on them so it's better to not use EX Dagger and just do Red Dash, 1, 1, 4 IMO.

Oh yeah and what this means is that Skarlet can get a guaranteed 70% damage in the corner on high hitbox characters (F2 whiffs on low hitbox characters) but it's really impractical and requires good execution for her 57% wall combo.

ryublaze

Noob
For low hitbox characters in the corner you can do 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger and go into F2, 1, 2, 1+2. The EX Dagger does fly over their head, but the first two hits of F2, 1, 2, 1+2 will connect. If you make the EX Dagger connect, then the F2, 1 will whiff on low hitbox characters. Sorry if this sounds kind of confusing. I'll probably make a video later.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
For low hitbox characters in the corner you can do 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger and go into F2, 1, 2, 1+2. The EX Dagger does fly over their head, but the first two hits of F2, 1, 2, 1+2 will connect. If you make the EX Dagger connect, then the F2, 1 will whiff on low hitbox characters. Sorry if this sounds kind of confusing. I'll probably make a video later.
This is because of the long blockstun on 1, 1, 2, and the lesser on en-daggers. It's a cool tip to have in mind.

ryublaze

Noob
I put the OTG Air Dagger on video so people can see how it works.

The best way to get the OTG Air Dagger is to use it after a forward throw in the corner. This doesn't work with a backwards throw, and if you throw the opponent at anywhere but the corner he will be too far for you to throw an Air Dagger. You can use it after combos too but it's usually better to end combos with a standing reset. What the OTG Air Dagger does is it disables your opponent's wake-up attacks after a throw and increases Skarlet's throw from a measly 11% to 12%. If your opponent blocks it, you are both actually at neutral. If he doesn't block it, you can dash in for a blockstring or another throw.

Opponents who know how to fight Skarlet will block the OTG every time. Your opponent can still input a wake-up attack and block the OTG Air Dagger if he just holds down block.

EDIT: Actually idk if you both are at neutral when the dagger is blocked. I think I got it at a good height and paused it at a good time when doing the jump test in the video. Somberness

ryublaze

Noob
Got the 1, 1, 2, EX Dagger in the corner thing on video.

After a combo ending with a standing reset if you use a Double Dagger right away it will fly over the opponent's head. If you wait until the opponent is close to the ground before doing the standing reset, the Double Dagger will connect. For some characters like Mileena, they have to be really close to the ground.