What's new

Block Breakers Confirmed in Mortal Kombat

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
GGA already was not huge on using pushblock when it was 1 bar in a 4 bar game. How much more will we not use it if it costs 2 bars in a 3 bar game!
I think the only real use for it, is to block and breaker an opponent's safe jump that leads to well known chip damage that will defiantly kill, without having to take the first hit of a JIP.

And hopefully, you can only use the traditional combo breaker by taking the first hit of a combo.

For anyone who is getting injustice push block confused or drawing similarities with a breaker that you can perform on block, thats not what this is. (Not saying Jeremiah is)

Two bars is a pretty huge cost though, especially considering you can only store a maximum of three. It certainly doesn't look like something you could use as liberally as pushblock in Injustice, which only cost one bar out of four...
No, but my biggest concern is that depending on how far it pushes you back and the frames after, it could be an easy "get out of the corner free" play.

Whatever. It's still speculation at this point. Hopefully all goes well.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
For the record, as a Scorpion player in MK9, I had more reasons to hate Cage than most, but all this talk of Cage in MK9 as a justification of pushblock is just plain silly. His entire design ethos revolved around yomi to make you afraid of counterpoking. I can't vouch for sure if what Cage evolved into in MK9 was entirely what NRS intentionally planned/foresaw (although Flame Fist Liu does make you wonder?), but if pushblock was in MK9 for one bar, all of his matchups would have essentially followed the same meta as Cage/Kenshi. It's probably not a coincidence that he was armed to the teeth up close but was laid bare at just about anything else.

Besides, training mode has improved tenfold since then, you now have reasonable, variable means to explore how to systematically defend within close quarters. If some form of pushblock is in, it's probably to address guaranteed chip, not because somebody can't be bothered to read part of a string.

Its most likely a breaker that can be used while you are in block stun, instead of the traditional breaker which requires u to be in combo state to activate, so yea this is sort of like a push block if u look at it, now whether it will cost a lil less then a regular breaker is yet to be seen, I think they implemented this mechanic as an answer for chip damage in this game, there are quite a few variations in this game that allows characters to do crazy chip damage, like JC, and Liu Kang, Reptile, ect. I for one do not want to be in a close match then get locked down in the corner with a fire fist activated Liu Kang and get chipped out on block with half or full meter with no answer to get my opponent off of me with the meter I have at my disposal. So if this is what I think it is I say good shit NRS
Probably the best analysis of this. Thank you based Scar.

Last edited:

LockM

Noob
It's obviously not "for free". You are literally paying 2 bars of meter and stamina for it. It is the opposite of free.
Doesn't matter that it is 2 bars, there should be a downside other than simply losing 2 bars. I've brought this up before in another htread but people seemed to disagree with me. A pushblock mechanic like this should be able to be baited and leave you vulnerable. Otherwise everytime you are in blockstun just do this pushblock mechanic for 2 bars and you get a KNOCKDOWN and solid opportunity to COMPLETELY switch momentum to start set up your offense, for ONLY 2 bars. Momentum in MK is such a big factor.

What i hope is that this pushblokc mechanic has startup frames and isn't instant and is heavily negative on block and whiff. This way you might bait it by performing a blockstring with a move with short recovery, or better, cancel a move into a teleport and make the pushblock whiff. Personally i like this metagame instead of always having a guarenteed opportunity to pushblock when you are in blockstun and have two bars available.And i find the latter literally braindead way of implementing such a mechanic.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Doesn't matter that it is 2 bars, there should be a downside other than simply losing 2 bars. I've brought this up before in another htread but people seemed to disagree with me. A pushblock mechanic like this should be able to be baited and leave you vulnerable. Otherwise everytime you are in blockstun just do this pushblock mechanic for 2 bars and you get a KNOCKDOWN and solid opportunity to COMPLETELY switch momentum to start set up your offense, for ONLY 2 bars. Momentum in MK is such a big factor.

In SFIV people abused the f*ck out of FADC shoryuken attacks. On hit they egt massive damage, on block they are safe. In USFIV they altered it slightly to make both forward dash and backdashing after shoryuken FADC negative and punishable, it is still a tight window though. It was recognized by both players and developers this mechanic and tactic was too abuseable.
You can definitely bait and punish pushblock in Injustice.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Exactly, how many people used pushblock in Injustice?
People used it more against Aquaman and Doomsday or to prevent being chipped to death. But that's it.

The fact that it costs 2 bars and it looks like meter will play an important part in the game.
On the plus side, it knocks the opponent down. So that will be interesting.
Harley players always use pushblock

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
Exactly, how many people used pushblock in Injustice?
People used it more against Aquaman and Doomsday or to prevent being chipped to death. But that's it.

The fact that it costs 2 bars and it looks like meter will play an important part in the game.
On the plus side, it knocks the opponent down. So that will be interesting.
Also very useful for stripping batman of his bats and to get out of flashes trait (if he messed up and didn't activate it mid combo, or dropped etc). I pushback batman all the time

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
You get all of that with a normal breaker, why should a player who blocked well not be allowed that as opposed to a player who got opened up?

People aren't going to be using this willy-nilly. 2 bars is a big cost to avoid chip damage when they could later get opened up, not have those 2 bars to breaker and eat a full combo damage.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
JC & Lui Keng have a trait like special that do what? The ability to do massive amount of chip damage on block(and who knows there might be others who can do this with a setup or two), if this doesn't convince you that MKX needs pushblock you're kidding yourself.

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
God i hope not, injustice had enough with get out of pressure free card button.

Hopefully its something else.
FREE?????

Did the definition of that word change since today?

Its 2 Bars dude in a 3 bar game where Meter means everything
Injustice was a more far away easy meter build game with 4 bars and push block was only 1 bar

MKX looks to be a close up in your face, with a RUN BUTTON and ts 2 bars to use.
i dont know, but that doesn't sound Free to me.

plus Injustice is not the only fighting game that has a pushblock mechanic, its almost a staple for fighting games

Last edited:

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Pushblock isn't a new Inj thing lol... To people saying 2/3bars plus 2/2 of stamina is a "free" get out of jail button are crazy cause if you see it this way than breakers are as well.
Also you guys failed to mention that the opponent has the same options as well.
Set ups were you knock down and opponent And want to go for a follow up pressure could easily be counter but another pushblock on wake up lol.

And if you dont like it then idk what to tell you, dont play the game?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
What I want to know is: Can you armor through these?

I'm cool with either answer, but if you can it will lead to some crazy hype matches!