What's new

Block Breakers Confirmed in Mortal Kombat

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i could have sworn either at E3 or somwhere that they explained what the block breaker was, but its basically a push block that cost 2 bars and knocks the opponent down. i can foresee some broken shit with this already, like takeda EX ground daggers then block breaker, if they are in a hit state afterwards i bet it would launch them up, so for 3 bars you can get a free hit guise!!! but for real though 2 bars makes this most likely not worth it unless its towards the end of your life bar and you need to use it. 1 bar and it will probably be over used.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
In before huge qq threads because accidental block breaker spam while holding block and forward.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Looks to me like a breaker that you are allowed to do whilst blocking, obviously.

Probably best used if you know chip damage will kill you. If you use it like an injustice push block (which cost one bar), then it will be a complete waste of your meter and you won't be able to break a full combo anytime soon...

Another use for it that I can see right away, will be when an opponent sets up a safe jump after a combo on hit, you can block, not take any further damage, and block break the first hit from the jump in.

Although...when you are being openly hit (not blocking), hopefully NRS will only allow combo breakers to activate after the first hit, so that the opponent can't just stand still and mash breaker whilst being hit with one off overheads, lows, or throws.

Having a push block for one bar, and a breaker would maybe be too much. Considering that breaking combos in exchange for two bars of meter with no repercussions, is an incredibly privileged thing to have in a fighting game, especially when you can do it at any point in a match, as long as you have the meter.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. They do need something on block, especially in MK where you get shit like johnny, but I've always felt the pushblock mechanic was fine. Getting an actual knockdown from this is...awkward. I'm guessing it'll be like combo breakers where you reset to neutral when all the frames are done (rather it BETTER), but that feels pretty awkward that with 2 bars you can't even block pressure someone.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
nice feature, I like defense options , even more to a ultra fast pace game as MKX is showing to be ..... we love to have lots of advantage while attacking, but we cannot forget that we need to have some defensive tricks in order to avoid boring "one-side" rushdown pressure matches majority of time, so, this stuff showed it's welcome

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
why are some people whining about pushblock being in when Liu Kang, Reptile, and whoever's got the electric hands have been shown to do the same chip damage you'd expect from a full combo

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
And people said there's no zoning in MKX. Pfft.

With pushblock, invincible backdashes, breakers and armor there are more defensive options for runaway when compared to MK9. Plus, no dash-blocking so people have to walk their way in and hold that chip.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. They do need something on block, especially in MK where you get shit like johnny, but I've always felt the pushblock mechanic was fine. Getting an actual knockdown from this is...awkward. I'm guessing it'll be like combo breakers where you reset to neutral when all the frames are done (rather it BETTER), but that feels pretty awkward that with 2 bars you can't even block pressure someone.
Two bars is a pretty huge cost though, especially considering you can only store a maximum of three. It certainly doesn't look like something you could use as liberally as pushblock in Injustice, which only cost one bar out of four...

E

Eldriken

1.PSN message sound playing
2.Open epecting hatemail
3.Read : NYAAAAH STOP BLOCKING AND START FIGHTING NOOOOB

Happened to me way too many times :DOGE
I get yelled at so much on PS4 when playing Injustice about "blocking too much". It's laughable, really. It's ridiculous how people (new to the game or not) complain about such a thing. It's like, "You fool. You have the same option, you're just refusing to use it."

AssassiN

Noob
GGA already was not huge on using pushblock when it was 1 bar in a 4 bar game. How much more will we not use it if it costs 2 bars in a 3 bar game!
Exactly, how many people used pushblock in Injustice?
People used it more against Aquaman and Doomsday or to prevent being chipped to death. But that's it.

The fact that it costs 2 bars and it looks like meter will play an important part in the game.
On the plus side, it knocks the opponent down. So that will be interesting.

E

Eldriken

Exactly, how many people used pushblock in Injustice?
People used it more against Doomsday
Too bad they got screwed half the time if they timed it wrong when trying to pushblock MB Venom! >=D

I also encourage them to pushblock me during trait. FREE FULL COMBO PUNISH, LOLOL.

But I agree, people didn't really use it too much except against certain characters or chip death situations.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
People disliking this because it's similar to injustice is beyond stupid. We've actually had breakers while blocking in MK games before.
We also don't know how mkx will play out yet, so how about you wait before jumping the gun and saying things like "MKX doesn't need this". Because, frankly, you don't have a clue