What's new

Block Breakers Confirmed in Mortal Kombat

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I'm all for this mechanic as long as it costs two bars for a couple of reasons...

1. Sometimes chip in mk is salt inducing, lbsh
2. 2 bars is a lot to pay for a pushblock so it will be a big risk on the defender and still provides profit to the attacking player.
3. Hopefully this mechanic can help avoid any sort of Rune Trap/Resets that would otherwise be possible.
Exactly my feelings on the subject. I think this is great. If it was one bar of meter for the "push block" mechanic in MKX, I would have been very, very disappointed. Non issue here.

My whole game revolves around pressure, and it excites me that I can now drain my opponents meter with pressure if they panic now...and many will panic.

D

Deleted member 35141

I was never good at fighting game lingo but what makes this different than other breakers we have seen.
Im pretty sure this is in most games and only useful at near death situations considering it takes 2 bars

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Right I get it, but I'm saying that it may solve problems that would otherwise be present in mkx, not mk9.
What kind of problems can you think of that are solved by this mech while being immune to allowing opponent to hit you once and then break? Except when you are at like 5%, at which point being killed isn't exactly a problem.

Am I the only person that has noticed that we don't know how fast meter is built in this game?
Looks similar to MK9. Hitting opponent doesn't give you meter like it did in IGAU too. Specials may give you a little more meter or same. That's what I can pick up by watching story trailer.

Armor didn't work in Injustice the way it did in MK9. In MK9, armor lasted for the duration of a move and had an unlimited number of hits it could absorb from the time the armor started, to the time it ended. In Injustice, it was typically one hit of armor.
Not every move was like that though. I'm pretty positive that some moves either had only 1 hit, or weren't covered from start to finish, enough for even stuff like Raiden's 12... to break.

What I find interesting though...is that both Grundy in Injustice and Rain in MK9 had a lot of armor, and both are considered shitters.
Most of Rain's armor was wasted on him though as he wasn't meter building machine. For Kenshi and Kabal (Ex-ND(c) was enough for him tbh) it mattered because of sick meter building.
Those two weren't bills because of their armor being bad though.

I was never good at fighting game lingo but what makes this different than other breakers we have seen.
Im pretty sure this is in most games and only useful at near death situations considering it takes 2 bars
There are 2 differences I see:
- It can break pressure with moves that don't combo (think Cage's f3 ... f3 .... f3 for days in MK9); useful when you don't want to risk with unsafe armor to blow such pressure up or don't have enough hp, and so there goes second difference:
- It doesn't require you to eat opener in order to break.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Or block breaker traps with Liu Kang orb's, reptile's acid ball, Raiden's lightning, Cassie's Missile...

There will be tech with this tool.
I suppose that a lot of this stuff will also work against regular breakers. Unless those remove all garbage from the screen.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Not exactly sure where the name comes from, but it was used to describe certain universal attacks in Persona Arena that were armored attacks that were deseigned to get you out it block strings if you could time the gap properly.
NRS equivalent of that is armored or invulnerable attack (which most of "DPs" are anyways).

This one is blatant pushblock that knocks opponent down, an equivalent of combo breaker for the same price except that you can use it during blocking and not just during hitstun.

At least it looks very much this way. There may be some caveats there.

P.S. DP is generally an unsafe attack with rising hitbox that has some universal or aerial invulnerability frames on startup. Alternatively it's a motion that is used to input classical Rising Dragon Punch: forward, down, down+forward, or 623.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
NRS equivalent of that is armored or invulnerable attack (which most of "DPs" are anyways).

This one is blatant pushblock that knocks opponent down, an equivalent of combo breaker for the same price except that you can use it during blocking and not just during hitstun.

At least it looks very much this way. There may be some caveats there.

P.S. DP is generally an unsafe attack with rising hitbox that has some universal or aerial invulnerability frames on startup. Alternatively it's a motion that is used to input classical Rising Dragon Punch: forward, down, down+forward, or 623.
Well what I meant is its NRS universal method to escape pressure. The way it happens is completley different but they serve the same purpose.

And yes they were horribly unsafe, whiffing ken's was pretty much a guaranteed loss

Audit

Falls down too much
I get yelled at so much on PS4 when playing Injustice about "blocking too much". It's laughable, really. It's ridiculous how people (new to the game or not) complain about such a thing. It's like, "You fool. You have the same option, you're just refusing to use it."
How dare you play a fighting game and not do exactly what your opponent wanted you to do.

Why is everybody incensed about pushblock? The cost is waaaay too high for anything but end-of-game chip.