What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

Really I think it's just that BA isn't designed to be an s-tier character. He's going to have a few 7-3 or 8-2 match-ups that he gets facerolled in. He's still going to be able to go toe-to-toe with 90% of the cast.

Also, am I just being ignorant or can't you punish d1 pokes with armored f+3? I mean, if you know they're going to throw out the poke, as long as they can't break the armor and get a full punish before f+3 lands, you have a full juggle combo at the cost of one meter. It would also be really good to trade against people in the hitbox above you, so like if they try to do a cross-over you just eat their air normal with the armor and then brutalize them with a big combo.

Teth really only needs 4 1-meter combos to kill, and you earn a lot more meter than that during the course of a match, so spending meter to stay safe and force them to block/respect your tools when they enter your threat zone should be fine. Yeah you're going to spend time holding back when they're not in the areas you control, but that's just how the character works, and there are only one or two people who can really stay out indefinitely (like Hawkgirl).

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
No the problem with this is the same thing I keep trying to tell you. You want to continue pressure after all these strings whether positive or negative but don't know how to do it. You aren't just going to be able to do string after string and lock someone down. THAT'S ALL I'VE BEEN TRYING TO SAY! If you really want to pressure with him, it's going to take conditioning and forcing your opponent to respect your options. Whether it be frame traps, special cancels, MB cancels it doesn't matter, with this character you are going to absolutely have to show them that they can't just mash out on you and beat you out.

You know what, this is the most ironic conversation I have had for some time. Because you know who's pressure is almost exactly like Black Adam's...REPTILE'S. The fact that I'm arguing with you about downplaying this characters pressure has opened my eyes to what a downplayer I probably was with that character even more now.

ImNewbieSauce Let it be known today, I no longer downplay.
Let there be light! The clouds have parted, the muffins are freshly baked, and the world is full of beer fountains and available women who are turned on by the speed at which you hit BF2.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
STB TakeAChance we need to play man. Ill show you how to deal with all that shit you are saying is bad. Jumping and aerial prowess in the ONLY weakness Black Adam has. He has huge meterless combos, traps, insane whiff punishing, and he stockpiles meter like a mad man. There are tons of new options in this game for the problems you suggest (many of which im working on) and in time trust me, the jumping and air to air problem wont even exist. You have said so much stuff that is just way too crafted to even really make sense in the scope of the game. Adams poke game is about as amazing as it gets IMO. I dont see how you think it is bad. His d1 is amazing and on hit you get tons of options. His strengths involve setting people up and getting some damage full screen, then when they try ANY counter zoning you hit that EX divekick for 32% and even more setups. The ONLY character still giving me trouble right now is doomsday cause that monster is ridiculous. But in time ill have tons of solutions for him too. Trust me. Black Adam is one of the best in the game. Top 8 IMO.

Joker8417 sorry for making you hold down the fort for that. I was sleeping :D but i agree with you on just about everything.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
what if you do like the how scorpion. When I would use b2 to anti-air someone i would anticpate the jump, then dash back use b2 for a easy punish. that move back use 2 2 has a good hitbox it looks like. idk haven't really played with people to try anything too much yet.I agree with stb though air dashers a re gonna be a bitch.

SoVi3t

Noob
What should I be using as my AAs? I am getting blown up by characters that constantly jump in at me (ie Nightwing). Foot dives and jump attacks losing out to his j3 all day :(

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
@Everyone Black Adam does not have a reliable AA. You will have to use other options than a standard AA. They made him like this cause other parts of his game are abnormally strong. Using meter/backdashes/pushblocks are gonna be your best options. Block the jump ins and pressure which in this game dont do the chip or meter gaining like they did in MK9. Getting pressured in this game is fine and we will get used to it. Getting opened up is terrible. Be patient with adam up close. Find space for a d1 or other option and find a way out. Trying to AA with him and air to air for the most part is gonna get you blown up.

LuciusAxelrod

Robot Ninja
I'm thinking maybe just standing 1 for anti-air. It's fast, has a lot of vertical range, and you can combo off of it.
You can do 1(anti-air), 11xxBlack Magic, dash forward, b23u1+2 for 25%.

SoVi3t

Noob
@Everyone Black Adam does not have a reliable AA. You will have to use other options than a standard AA. They made him like this cause other parts of his game are abnormally strong. Using meter/backdashes/pushblocks are gonna be your best options. Block the jump ins and pressure which in this game dont do the chip or meter gaining like they did in MK9. Getting pressured in this game is fine and we will get used to it. Getting opened up is terrible. Be patient with adam up close. Find space for a d1 or other option and find a way out. Trying to AA with him and air to air for the most part is gonna get you blown up.
That pretty much was what I was doing. Like I said earlier though, I fought a Nightwing who would just constantly jump in, do a combo, then back to jumping. I was either in pressure, or I was trying to avoid yet another jump, or I was eating pain. He never stayed on the ground so every projectile I had was useless, and lightning cage has like no positive use that I know of. Everything Adam has seems to require the opponent to be on the ground.

What would you recommend I do after a pushblock, if I have enough meter to use it? Especially if they go right back to jumping?

I just did 2 reps of b23 1 black magic raw. I don't know if it'll loop in a combo, and I don't know if you can get more reps, but any tech is good tech, right?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I just did 2 reps of b23 1 black magic raw. I don't know if it'll loop in a combo, and I don't know if you can get more reps, but any tech is good tech, right?
Yea its way too hard to combo and the b23 up throw does a lot as a combo ender. Thats crazy that you can even hit follow ups on two b23's though.

Yea its way too hard to combo and the b23 up throw does a lot as a combo ender. Thats crazy that you can even hit follow ups on two b23's though.
It's actually a super-easy string to confirm. You can land it off 11 trait, b12 black magic, 22 black magic, EX cage, f+3, and probably a bunch of other stuff.

But like I said, I don't know if you can do more than 2 reps, and I don't know if you can even do 2 reps in a combo that doesn't start with raw b2, because I was just testing it raw to see if it worked at all. My execution is kinda bad right now and my thumb is sore atm, so I haven't been able to test it in longer strings, but even if you can just loop it once you can do the b23 1 black magic loop and then just do b23 up 1+3.

Interesting side note, jump 3 footdive does the same amount of damage as b23 up 1+3 at all scalings, meaning they're interchangeable in combos that you end with EX cage. They also land the opponent in about the same spot. Not that useful to know, but I'd figure I'd put it out there, because it basically means that there's no reason to specifically try to set up the jump 3 foot-dive, as even though it's 2 hits, it doesn't actually scale the damage any less.

EDIT: if it loops indefinitely Black Adam has an infinite that's confirmable off basically anything.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Well black magic wont hit 2 times on one combo so theres no chance of an infinite. And yea what im doing off of b23 is (B23 - 11 Black magic - B23 1+3) which is 31% meterless. I need to work on the 41% but its for a bar and trait as well.

I'm like 95% sure you can do 11 trait b23 11 black magic b2 EX cage b23 up 1+3 (or jump 3 foot-dive), don't know how much damage it does though because like I said, my thumb is sore and I haven't been fast enough to confirm the EX cage yet.

And even if that doesn't work, you can still do basically the same thing by just doing 11 trait b23 1 black magic, which moves them less horizontal distance and would make the b2 EX cage a lot easier to land.

just doing 11 black magic b2 EX cage b23 up 1+3 is a 45% combo, but it would do less with a 11 trait in front of it, which is why I don't know exactly how much it does. I think you can also do it off b12 and a couple other combos, which might be more damage, but those don't start off of a b23 loop.

EDIT: actually I think the 45% combo was 11 trait b2 EX cage b23 up 1+3. I was doing it to compare the damage on EX cage b23 up 1+3 to the damage on EX cage jump 3 footdive.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
just doing 11 black magic b2 EX cage b23 up 1+3 is a 45% combo, but it would do less with a 11 trait in front of it, which is why I don't know exactly how much it does. I think you can also do it off b12 and a couple other combos, which might be more damage, but those don't start off of a b23 loop.

EDIT: actually I think the 45% combo was 11 trait b2 EX cage b23 up 1+3. I was doing it to compare the damage on EX cage b23 up 1+3 to the damage on EX cage jump 3 footdive.

I also am having trouble understanding the scaling when using black magic in combos, I dont know why but they end up doing less. I understand that more hits in a combo means it will scale more but doing less damage is kinda crazy.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
I also am having trouble understanding the scaling when using black magic in combos, I dont know why but they end up doing less. I understand that more hits in a combo means it will scale more but doing less damage is kinda crazy.
Injustice has two types of hit scaling, damage scaling and gravity scaling. Pretty much, the more hits you have the less damage each consecutive hit is going to do (to a point) and there will be more gravity when juggling your opponent so. Air moves tend to scale gravity considerably.

I wonder what the threshold is past which damage doesn't scale anymore, because b23 up 1+3 is 5 hits, but jump 3 footdive is 2 hits, yet my tests so far have shown them as interchangeable in combos, doing the exact same amount of damage and scaling.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I wonder what the threshold is past which damage doesn't scale anymore, because b23 up 1+3 is 5 hits, but jump 3 footdive is 2 hits, yet my tests so far have shown them as interchangeable in combos, doing the exact same amount of damage and scaling.
Jump 3 does 11% alone and divekick 10% so 21% total. B23 1+3 does 20% total. Thus why they do about the same in combos. Each and every hit in this game has its own damage values.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I just don't understand the scaling in this. So if you cancel a string into black magic and combo it does less damage then if you just start combo without it.

22b1, nj1>db3, 22b1, b23u1+3 = 34 damage

22>db1, 22b1, nj1>db3, 22b1, b23u1+3 =32 damage

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
BTW guys, EX dive kick is his best move on hit and even on block. 32% Combo on hit and +9 on block which spaces for a perfect 6 frame b2. Abuse this, cause i know i am.