What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

So I just picked up this character as my secondary and I have a few questions:

1.) Are there ANY good wakeups that will get me out of strong rushdown pressure? Especially against enemies jumping over me. I've tried every one and they all get stuffed, so I've resigned to just blocking. I've even been told by players online "you need to learn wake ups", but I don't see how a wakeup is ever a good idea against a proper rushdown.

2.) Do I have any good punishers for sweep distance? This would be something that can reach far enough to punish DeathStroke's sword flip. Right now, I seem to be able to get a b23 to punish it every time, but I'm kinda accustomed to getting a full-combo punish, and b23 limits me to around 20 percent damage if I add in the air throw.

3.) What are the best setups for the lightning bomb trap? Right now, my only setup for it is 22b1-lightning bomb, and I'll either follow up with a jump to divekick, or wait to bait a wakeup attack. So far I'm not very happy with this setup, as it gives pretty little reward for the risk, and I feel I'm guessing just as much as my opponent is on it. Are there ANY good setups with lightning bomb?

4.) What is the best way to follow up a mb divekick regardless of where it hits? I don't have the reaction time to change which combo I use based on where I hit the enemy, and this seems to have a large effect on my distance from their airborne enemy, and hence what I can use to follow up with it.

5.) If I hit an enemy with a regular dive kick, I believe I've still got very good frame advantage. What is a good safe followup string for this? Will it work regardless of where I hit the enemy with the dive kick (this seems to have a large effect on the resulting distance to the enemy).

6.) For j2-man. Just float back when he jumps and hit with b23 repeat and win? This is what I've been doing, and it's been working well. Bet dam, it's a really boring fight.... What ways can I reverse pressure on a whiffed j2 from j2man?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
LtLuthor

1- Lightning cage is an insanely powerful wakeup. Be careful using it a ton because good players will know how to blow you up for it.

2- B23 is your best footsie move and whiff punisher. You can get 31% with no orbs off b23 and up to 46% with orbs. Look in the combo thread for better options than just b23 u1+3

3- Lightning bomb does not have too many amazing set ups. If you can end a comb in 13 somehow it grants a decent enough knockdown to throw a bomb but still doesnt give great options after.

4- MB Divekick 11 Black Magic (or orbs if available) B23 u1+3 for 31-39%

5- Regular divekick is only +2 on hit. I would advise against doing anything immediately after a divekick on hit. I would just sit in your footsie range and go from there.

6- Yes, play insanely lame against batman for as long as you can. Its almost the only option to really deal with him.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Do you guys have have tips when getting cornered? I was playing vs a Nightwing and Doomsday offline recently. Every time I attempted to dive-kick out they would sniff it out and AA me. Pushblock didn't matter and if I jumped out I would simply get thrown back into the corner when I landed. If I got cornered I was fucked. Super frustrating.
b2 trait throw, d1 trait throw, 6f d1, b23, b1, instant ex divekick, so many options.

Mt Mutombo

Banned
Sooo yeah... i was mopping this guy in a BA mirror online. And all of the sudden this fool pulls off a MB divekick into a normal one into b23 ender for 37%...

I had a little less than a full health bar advantage, i dropped the controller and let him win...whoever pulls that shit off online deserves to win.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Did they adjust the timing to land a B3 after MB Lightning Cage? I used to miss it often but now after picking up BA for the first time in ages I can land it consistently.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Do you guys have have tips when getting cornered? I was playing vs a Nightwing and Doomsday offline recently. Every time I attempted to dive-kick out they would sniff it out and AA me. Pushblock didn't matter and if I jumped out I would simply get thrown back into the corner when I landed. If I got cornered I was fucked. Super frustrating.

Take a hit and clash if you can. If you get cornered vs some characters it can really go badly for you. Clashing to get out of the corner will probably save you more health than clashing a combo.

i wonder what they're gonna nerf? i can see no more advantage off of B23. that's fair. MB low lightning doesn't do as much damage.
Cage is slightly more negative on block... As long as they don't touch his MB dive kicks and trait. then ill be pissed.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
If the whiners get their way im betting on a movement speed nerf or trait: cooldown up OR advantage "normalised" (see Killa fro$t)
im guessing ex lightning, backdash nerf or trait nerf

either way if they touch those the nerfs gonna be huge

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
im guessing ex lightning, backdash nerf or trait nerf

either way if they touch those the nerfs gonna be huge
Yup personally i would like them to half the startup of his bombs, they can do what they want to his backdash that way.

NHDR

Noob
Question for you guys: is Black Adam's execution considered difficult? I just got the game and fooled around with him last night. He's very similar to Cyrax, I can tell that his gameplan revolves around his bomb.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
nothing big? The reason be wins most matchups are those 3 things lol
No, he wins because of the tools he posseses and those three things are just perks. Nothing about our gameplay changes. Same character, just toned down to hopefully a reasonably great character.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
No, he wins because of the tools he posseses and those three things are just perks. Nothing about our gameplay changes. Same character, just toned down to hopefully a reasonably great character.
those are the utilities of his tools... He forces zoners in because he outchips them when he can do lightning, his often trait ensure constant pressure and damage , meter gain is why he can chuck out ex lightning and divekicks. Nerf just the chip and we suddenly lose to aquaman, batman, GL, raven and go even with so many 6 4s

SaJa

FH_FenriR
If Black Adam is not changed then fine. I prefer having such a top tier than Superman. x)

BA is just an easy char. Maybe giving him a worse jump or forward/back dash would be more interesting.

I wish the speed walk will be buff for everyone.