What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

Well black magic works as AA but from far away/fullscreen. Good luck reacting online though.

And 2 xx black magic can work as AA but you need perfect spacing. And it still loses to some jump ins. I try to condition them to attack in the air early with lots of air to airs. Then they become much easier to AA.

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
Black Adam seems to be a god when it comes to controlling the area and mix ups, but has poor wakeup options and a weakness to jump ins.

Interesting

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Black Adam has nothing for anti airs lol. The only thing you can do is walk backwards and hope for a b23 punish when they land.
It barely counts, but you can use his B2 like Smoke's B2 for anti-air on anticipation (not reaction). lol

But yeah, his AAs are ass. His D2 is as reliable as his D1...

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
For cross overs try using lightning cage on wake-up. It actually has a shit ton of invincibility frames a nasty hitbox. For anti airs I usually space and shocker, or as the others have mentioned B23 as they land and take the frame advantage.

Also, for those of you who didn't know, B2~Trait guarantees you a throw. The opponent MUST tech. Should help soften them up a little bit ;)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just gonna post this here as well as the MU discussion. Gonna post it here in case anyone wants to watch it and even give me some pointers/advice. Its me and pig's sinestro. 26 games 13-13 was the score.
didnt watch it all, dont have time right now but ive some advice, watched only the first few minutes so what im saying will probably be bs

ex lightning hands is useless vs someone like sinestro where you wanna keep close, BAs oki game after it is mostly about stuffing wakeups with B2, backdashing to whiff punish them or just go for an ex lightning on their wakeup

this might just be me but i feel black adam should rarely be letting others zone, when i saw pig doing meteors i felt like you could dash ahead and get an ex divekick on block minimum

his dash is also godlike, theres to need to whiff divekicks on the way in, i could tell pig was trying to whiff punish them, we need some data from somberness on those frames

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
his dash is also godlike, theres to need to whiff divekicks on the way in, i could tell pig was trying to whiff punish them, we need some data from somberness on those frames
Record it in practice mode and see what you can punish it with? I havent needed to ask anything regarding frames now we have all the move list frames and record mode, its absolute godlike.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Record it in practice mode and see what you can punish it with? I havent needed to ask anything regarding frames now we have all the move list frames and record mode, its absolute godlike.
you cant record stuff like that because you cant accurately measure when in a real match youd "react" and youre already in practice mode expecting the divekick to come and solely focusing on punishing it

totally different thing in an actual match

Smarrgasm: I haven't watched everything yet but a couple of things I noticed:

You sometimes sent him full screen with moves like Lightning Storm MB. This is not only a poor use of meter but it's a bad decision overall. Sinestro is clearly the superior zoner so you want to be close to him most of the time.

Sometimes when you entered a Clash and it was obvious you were going to lose you still wagered 1-2 meters. Again a bad decision. Not only did you lose the clash but you also lost some precious meter and your ability to comeback. This happened at least 4 times in 19 minutes btw. imo meter is far more important than winning or tying a clash.

Everytime you landed a fullscreen black magic, your reaction was to combo with a lightning strike. But the smarter choice would've been dive kick to close distance.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
you cant record stuff like that because you cant accurately measure when in a real match youd "react" and youre already in practice mode expecting the divekick to come and solely focusing on punishing it

totally different thing in an actual match
Find characters moves that are 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 etc etc frames and test them all until you find the interval which adam can block and can not. If he gets punished by a 20 frame move but can block a 21 frame move then you know its -20 on whiff.....

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

You sometimes sent him full screen with moves like Lightning Storm MB. This is not only a poor use of meter but it's a bad decision overall. Sinestro is clearly the superior zoner so you want to be close to him most of the time.

Sometimes when you entered a Clash and it was obvious you were going to lose you still wagered 1-2 meters. Again a bad decision. Not only did you lose the clash but you also lost some precious meter and your ability to comeback. This happened at least 4 times in 19 minutes btw. imo meter is far more important than winning or tying a clash.

Everytime you landed a fullscreen black magic, your reaction was to combo with a lightning strike. But the smarter choice would've been dive kick to close distance.
that depends on the life and meter you have, if you have meter then instead of a divekick, which sets things to neutral with you closer, you can do an ex lightning for 19% and a guaranteed ex lightning afterwards

generally, adams oki traps are brutal when he has (always) meter

Well duh. :)

But I wasn't talking about MB lightning strike. I was saying he often comboed full screen black magic into regular lightning strike which did nothing and only left him at disadvantage in this particular matchup.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Find characters moves that are 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 etc etc frames and test them all until you find the interval which adam can block and can not. If he gets punished by a 20 frame move but can block a 21 frame move then you know its -20 on whiff.....
on whiff its punishable by many things, i know almost all the fast advancing moves below 13f can punish it, things is what would happen in an actual match where you have to account

Reactions
Reads that make what you thought was a reaction invalid
Time it takes to press the buttons needed

what im trying to say is that the divekick might very well be -20 but a human in an average non-read situation might not be able to punish it unless with something thats 10f (assuming).

my personal motto is do it until theyve learned, i do it with a 9% full combo punishable slide in MK9 and will do it with a divekick until im punished

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well duh. :)

But I wasn't talking about MB lightning strike. I was saying he often comboed full screen black magic into regular lightning strike which did nothing and only left him at disadvantage in this particular matchup.
i wasnt talking about MB strike either, the regular lightning strike still is a wakeup frametrap with ex lightning because the lightnings hit about 1-2 frames after each other, making it ridiculously easy to break through any wakeup invincibility

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
on whiff its punishable by many things, i know almost all the fast advancing moves below 13f can punish it, things is what would happen in an actual match where you have to account

Reactions
Reads that make what you thought was a reaction invalid
Time it takes to press the buttons needed

what im trying to say is that the divekick might very well be -20 but a human in an average non-read situation might not be able to punish it unless with something thats 10f (assuming).

my personal motto is do it until theyve learned, i do it with a 9% full combo punishable slide in MK9 and will do it with a divekick until im punished
I know what you are saying but why ask somberness to come in here and do frame data work when you can do it yourself quite easily. Lazyness!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i wasnt talking about MB strike either, the regular lightning strike still is a wakeup frametrap with ex lightning because the lightnings hit about 1-2 frames after each other, making it ridiculously easy to break through any wakeup invincibility
in addition, thats also because ex lightning catches jumps and you need time to get up and jump

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

Yea i should stop using ex lightning hands its just a bit ingrained at the moment. The clash stuff im starting to work out a lot more but i think making a clash tie when i can keep him from regenerating 25% or more is good since black adam is a meter powerhouse . I do need to get used to making sure i dont give them the best of clashes though (making them win by 2) which i have already started to think on and work with since its such a mindgame. At times i found it possible to outzone sinestro and trade incredibly well. It is however my first elongated set vs him but i have some really good ideas for how to play him both full screen and up close. Right now im just more comfortable using my adam away from people which is why im working on up close stuff more now. I always take the damage off the black magics right now and i shouldve at least whiff divekick to get closer after the knock down but again im just comfortable right now staying away. Im working on MBing black magic every time for 30% combos full screen for a bar and that will also bring me close so in time i wont need to worry about that. Thanks for the notes so far guys.

Be sure to tune in thursday to BNB on Twitch.tv/funkyp ill be showing off adam for the first time in tournament. Im feeling pretty damn good going in to it also.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's smart. Keep using your meter for 5% chip if you feel like it.
6% and 30% of my bar back during which if they unblock i get 19% and a free setup of MANY

all for a little over half a bar

why not?

but using it for ex divekick which is a third of the chip and all the pressure afterwards is backdashable is better?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's smart. Keep using your meter for 5% chip if you feel like it.
I usually only start burning Ex lightnings like crazy at the ends of games cause its amazing for closing especailly if you are waiting on trait for more closing options. I dont use it too much just in the neutral game. Adams lightning (normal or EX) might be one of the best true projectile in the game. It is so good. Low and setups a lot of things.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I usually only start burning Ex lightnings like crazy at the ends of games cause its amazing for closing especailly if you are waiting on trait for more closing options. I dont use it too much just in the neutral game. Adams lightning (normal or EX) might be one of the best true projectile in the game. It is so good. Low and setups a lot of things.
to add, jump distance pushback for 0.70% of a bar with crazy chip + damage and setups on hit is something even deathstroke would envy