What's new

Big Question No1 is seeming to bring up!! MKX tournament rules wise.

I'm all for the winner being able to switch the variation BEFORE the loser selects their character. It would also be fine if the winner or loser both used hidden variation selections. This way at least there would be hope that no more cage/kenshi mu's like we saw every time anyone fought Dizzy.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Then I misunderstood. But when you say "why should anybody be allowed to counter-pick?" doesn't that mean the loser shouldn't be able to change his character?
I mean why should either player be forced into choosing anything? Why can't both players remain free to choose however they deem fit, just like they do before match 1?

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Can anyone give me a legit argument against this that isn't "other games have done this in the past".

variations can be seen as a way to compensate for certain bad matchups. If the loser is picking a different character then you should be allowed to choose a variation that may matchup better with that character. However, loser still gets "final say" as they pick their variation last.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
variations can be seen as a way to compensate for certain bad matchups. If the loser is picking a different character then you should be allowed to choose a variation that may matchup better with that character. However, loser still gets "final say" as they pick their variation last
Why are we trying to eliminate counterpicking?

coolwhip

Noob
I'm asking. You said "overcomplicated." Why not keep things completely neutral throughout a set? Again, it's neutral before game 1, why not keep it that way?

I guess I still don't understand the artificial handicapping.
It's not handicapping if you're forcing a guy who just won a match with a character to stick to said character. Clearly, he wasn't handicapped since he won. A huge part of tournament play is making adjustments on the fly. That would be far more difficult if the winner were able to change characters completely, especially in a first to 2.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

It's still a counter pick, in fact it's a counter pick to a counter pick to a counter pick.

Loser changes character: counter pick.

Winner chooses best variation to match up against new character: counter pick.

Loser chooses best variation to match up to winner's variation: counter pick.

It's not elimination, it's simultaneously limiting and expanding counter picking.

Locked character for both through entire set.

Both can change variation after every match, winner has to lock in variation first.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Clearly, he wasn't handicapped since he won.
Right, he wasn't handicapped for the first match. But now we're going to make him handicapped for the second match. And if he loses that; we're gonna handicap the other guy for the third match.

I don't get it. Just determine the winner with neutral "rules" throughout. If the argument is you don't want to see two guys douche out for 10 mins on the select screen playing chicken with their characters... hidden select.

Counterpicking is lame bruh.

But seriously, I don't want to eliminate counterpicking entirely, and nothing ever will unless we do a 100% character lock for the whole tournament. I more want to change the form of counterpicking, and the reason why is because my personal philosophy is this: counterpicking should be about exploiting a weakness in the player, not the character. Picking another character to exploit someone's unfamiliarity with the matchup and/or their playstyle is totally fine and an excellent part of fighting games. What's lame and frustrating is when a counterpick happens because one characters tools directly counter another's to the point that player skill almost doesn't matter.
Yeah but I don't like YOU :DOGE
Ok, quick sidenote, what podcast/episode was it that this came from? I've been wanting that as my ringtone for a long time.

coolwhip

Noob
Counterpicking is lame bruh.

But seriously, I don't want to eliminate counterpicking entirely, and nothing ever will unless we do a 100% character lock for the whole tournament. I more want to change the form of counterpicking, and the reason why is because my personal philosophy is this: counterpicking should be about exploiting a weakness in the player, not the character. Picking another character to exploit someone's unfamiliarity with the matchup and/or their playstyle is totally fine and an excellent part of fighting games. What's lame and frustrating is when a counterpick happens because one characters tools directly counter another's to the point that player skill almost doesn't matter.

Ok, quick sidenote, what podcast/episode was it that this came from? I've been wanting that as my ringtone for a long time.
You mean the Tom Brady soundbite? It's some episode of the KCP (Kryptonite Council Podcast). I want to say from last November but I can't remember off hand.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
We like to overcomplicated issues. The answer to this is very obvious: Winner is locked to both the character and the style. It's really a no-brainer.
If you win: Locked character & variation

If you lose: Option to change character or variation.

So simple a caveman can do it.
I think it's simple for the most part but you also have to consider stages. that makes things more complex because player/character x may feel like they can best player/character y in a set on stage a but not stage b. We already know that there will be some type of environment interaction involved so this must be considered. Now people, so not take what I am about to say as saying current ruleset is wrong, that is not my aim. My opinion is, however, in a tournament setting I believe random factors should be minimized to a degree. I also feel that inj ruleset somewhat encourages counterpicks, which is fine, it is up to the player to prepare themselves for that situation, but with intractables playing such an important role in the game, the selection of stages should be more controlled. I think this would increase character viability across the cast. Example, NW vs Sin is a 3-7 MU, one of NW's toughest matchups, so most would prepare themselves by having a character for those troublesome MUs. However, a character loyalist would have no options when he loses since stage selection is random. If there were stage counterpicks then there would be balance for those who are forced to lose the interactable war. I think any game where the environment plays a role in the MU should not be random, and an example would be Super Smash Bros, MK9, there could be other examples also.
Please don't take my opinion as declaring the ruleset wrong, just how I feel would affect the game differently. I would like opinions on how others think this would affect inj, preparing for MKX.
Looking for top level inj, mk players but everyones opinions are welcome.
@AK Pig Of The Hut
@daddydab32ho
@WoundCowboy
@Blind_Ducky
@FOREVER KING
@HoneyBee
@Biohazard
@16 Bit
And all other top level or not players who have input on this. Looking for serious responses plz, no negativity plz

trufenix

bye felicia
Apparently a few more since you aren't getting it either. This is not new. Other games have had variations and none of those had variation locked.
None that mattered. This "debate" is asinine. Nobody cares about the incredible bendable rules of some 20 man anime side tournament that happens online or in the bathrooms.

trufenix

bye felicia
I hear SFIV is pretty big.
In SF4 you get to repick ONE MOVE that you get ONCE MAYBE TWICE A MATCH. In MKX that ruleset would allow you to change Kano into a grappler with high and low parries (Commando) or a zoner with full screen anti-air lasers (Cybernetic). If you really can't see the difference between an Ultra and the lose / gain of Sub Zero's Ice Clone or Raiden's teleport, there can be no discussion.

I think it's simple for the most part but you also have to consider stages. that makes things more complex because player/character x may feel like they can best player/character y in a set on stage a but not stage b. We already know that there will be some type of environment interaction involved so this must be considered. Now people, so not take what I am about to say as saying current ruleset is wrong, that is not my aim. My opinion is, however, in a tournament setting I believe random factors should be minimized to a degree. I also feel that inj ruleset somewhat encourages counterpicks, which is fine, it is up to the player to prepare themselves for that situation, but with intractables playing such an important role in the game, the selection of stages should be more controlled. I think this would increase character viability across the cast. Example, NW vs Sin is a 3-7 MU, one of NW's toughest matchups, so most would prepare themselves by having a character for those troublesome MUs. However, a character loyalist would have no options when he loses since stage selection is random. If there were stage counterpicks then there would be balance for those who are forced to lose the interactable war. I think any game where the environment plays a role in the MU should not be random, and an example would be Super Smash Bros, MK9, there could be other examples also.
Please don't take my opinion as declaring the ruleset wrong, just how I feel would affect the game differently. I would like opinions on how others think this would affect inj, preparing for MKX.
Looking for top level inj, mk players but everyones opinions are welcome.
@AK Pig Of The Hut
@daddydab32ho
@WoundCowboy
@Blind_Ducky
@FOREVER KING
@HoneyBee
@Biohazard
@16 Bit
And all other top level or not players who have input on this. Looking for serious responses plz, no negativity plz
This is one where we'll probably have to wait and see, but I feel like they probably wont be as match up changing as they were in injustice since they seem to be more subdued and standardized. The weird thing with balancing interactibles in injustice is that aside from the fact that you couldn't block them, there were basically 3 classes of interactible users. In MKX from what we've heard, they're mostly for mobility, you can block the ones that cause damage, and it seems to me like characters more or less use them all in the same way. As long as we don't wind up with a situation like what's happend with Zod, Manhunter, and Batgirl....we should hopefully be ok.

In SF4 you get to repick ONE MOVE that you get ONCE MAYBE TWICE A MATCH. In MKX that ruleset would allow you to change Kano into a grappler with high and low parries (Commando) or a zoner with full screen anti-air lasers (Cybernetic). If you really can't see the difference between an Ultra and the lose / gain of Sub Zero's Ice Clone or Raiden's teleport, there can be no discussion.
That "one move" and landing it is often the difference between victory and defeat in a match. It may be a different mechanic but it absolutely has an impact on matchups.