What's new

Best Characters-Tier list prediction

Best character in the near future

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You bring up that MK9 players dealt with playing 20+ bad math-ups and won with low-tiers, and then you use Mileena as example. Good job.
Another thing, according to tier list by some of your top players, Mileena is on the same level as Smoke.

Do either of us remember why we are debating about Mk9? Because I don't and I stopped caring.
A. I just gave the example with Kano, worst character in the game.
B. My whole point of this is that having 2-3 good matchups is not a bad thing. You cannot possibly know enough about the game, correction: NO ONE can know enough about the game to say that matchups are unwinnable. This zoning seems impossible because people have not figured out movement(hint: You cant dash block, walk blocking is the new way to get in). Buffing any character for one or two specific matchups WILL have affect on their other matchups and may make other matchups unwinnable for others.

Side note: Anyone who says Mileena is on the same level of smoke is an idiot and most definitely not a top player.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
A. I just gave the example with Kano, worst character in the game.
B. My whole point of this is that having 2-3 good matchups is not a bad thing. You cannot possibly know enough about the game, correction: NO ONE can know enough about the game to say that matchups are unwinnable. This zoning seems impossible because people have not figured out movement(hint: You cant dash block, walk blocking is the new way to get in). Buffing any character for one or two specific matchups WILL have affect on their other matchups and may make other matchups unwinnable for others.

Side note: Anyone who says Mileena is on the same level of smoke is an idiot and most definitely not a top player.
Top 16 isn't winning...

Yeah, it's not a bad thing, but it can be fixed to lessen that number and make all of them only 6-4 at most.
My point
^
your head

No one is saying a match-up is unwinnable, seriously, what are you reading?

I guess Tom Brady isn't a top player. I edited to remove that after figuring out the tier list was from December, 2011. This would be my fault for editing too late.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Top 16 isn't winning...

Yeah, it's not a bad thing, but it can be fixed to lessen that number and make all of them only 6-4 at most.
My point
^
your head

I guess Tom Brady isn't a top player. I edited to remove that after figuring out the tier list was from December, 2011. This would be my fault for editing too late.
And you miss my point. Any small change to help one matchup will undoubtedly affect other matchups. You are not seeing the picture. Say for example you give Bane one teeny tiny buff to help with Cyborg. Then you get to characters who dont have fullscreen frametraps like green arrow. Now it is easier for bane to get in on GA, when it might have been harder for him to keep bane out in the first place. So now by making cyborg an even matchup, you now made GA have a bad matchup. You cannot have a TRULY balanced game like this because there are very distinct styles of play. Some have great rushdown, others have great zoners. If you make someone a better zoner, then rushdown characters suffer. If you buff rushdown, zoners suffer.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Top 16 isn't winning...

My point
^
your head

IDK about half the games you mentioned, but the 3D ones have no zoning characters, that's why there are no 7 3 matchups.

Unless you call D. kaz/jin/ogre/jinpachi zoners.

Eshi

Noob
I'm referring to +R, just didn't add that because I thought no one here knew what it was anyways. What makes you think those mathch-ups are lopsided? Due to NA not having access to the game yet, from the videos I don't see anyone getting stomped because of a match-up and the whole multitude of characters able to win. Max I see unfavorable math-ups seem is 6-4.
Same for BB
+R has more imbalanced match-ups than accent core. Justice is the zoning version of potemkin, so if she plays someone with better zoning then it's instantly a bad match-up. Dizzy/Faust are by far the worst of it at 7:3, but she has lots of 6:4 match-ups too. Slayer got toned down a ton and he's a close range character so his match-up with potemkin is extremely bad now.

As for BBCP, Valk vs. Tager has been 7:3 for a long time because Valk can run away in wolf form all day and Tager can literally do nothing about it. Not even magnetism because wolf dashes cancel it out. Mu-12 vs Carl was also already one of the worst match-ups in the game because Mu-12's pokes and stein zoning completely shut down all of his approach options while her DP's autoguard hard counters his unblockable setups. Then BBCP came and she got nothing but huge buffs to her damage and zoning.

CamRac

Noob
One doesn't need to use a character to know that there are others that simply outclass said character, and that's wrong.
If you've been around long at all, you'd know that the most popular games have always been those with characters that range from shit to awesome. This isn't because people are stupid, but rather because they're more fun to watch/play. The new school rails on and on about balance, but balance never created the moments that the FGC remembers. We remember upsets, and watching underdog grapplers (for instance) work their way to the top has always been a solid pastime (well, before O.Hawk became fucking OP in ST, we used to root for him at least lol). But anyhow, I know this seems counter-intuitive if you're a fan of mostly anime and 3D games, because they are generally more balanced than other games. Balance doesn't make a game great though, and the MK series in particular has not ever been known for its balance. If you want to play a shit character, or someone that's generally outclassed by the top and high tiers, then do it! Work your way to the top (and I do mean work), and make people remember your name. Otherwise, calm your tits and play Supes.

My prediction in the near future:

S tier
Aquaman
A+ Tier
Ares, Bane, Batman, Black Adam
A tier
Catwoman, Cyborg, Deathstroke, Doomsday, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Grundy
B+ Tier
Harley, Hawkgirl, Joker, Killer Frost, Lex Luthor, Nightwing, Raven
B Tier
Shazam, Sinestro, Superman, Wonder Woman

All characters are viable
Did you intend to list the cast in alphabetical order? Because if not you just blew my mind

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
And you miss my point. Any small change to help one matchup will undoubtedly affect other matchups. You are not seeing the picture. Say for example you give Bane one teeny tiny buff to help with Cyborg. Then you get to characters who dont have fullscreen frametraps like green arrow. Now it is easier for bane to get in on GA, when it might have been harder for him to keep bane out in the first place. So now by making cyborg an even matchup, you now made GA have a bad matchup. You cannot have a TRULY balanced game like this because there are very distinct styles of play. Some have great rushdown, others have great zoners. If you make someone a better zoner, then rushdown characters suffer. If you buff rushdown, zoners suffer.
Yeah, I get that. Batousai and I just had that conversation before you decided to butt in, and add your random MK point as well. Good job wasting both of our times.
I can agree to that. On a side note, I play Grundy. I've never been good at using hig-tier characters. Don't ask me why, I don't understand either.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
+R has more imbalanced match-ups than accent core. Justice is the zoning version of potemkin, so if she plays someone with better zoning then it's instantly a bad match-up. Dizzy/Faust are by far the worst of it at 7:3, but she has lots of 6:4 match-ups too. Slayer got toned down a ton and he's a close range character so his match-up with potemkin is extremely bad now.
...The update to balance the game, made the balance worse, and Potemkin is bad now?!
Profound Sadness...

CamRac

Noob
I can agree to that. On a side note, I play Grundy. I've never been good at using hig-tier characters. Don't ask me why, I don't understand either.
Meh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're a grappler player primarily, then you'll probably always be a low tier dude. I used to only play fat people too -- outside of Potemkin, O.Hawk, and a few others, we've kind of gotten screwed over, haha. Anyhow, as you know, just play who you enjoy and don't worry about it too much. Grappler players tend to be more patient and willing to deal with bullshit, so you kind of just have to channel that mindset and trudge your way through all of the safe blockstrings, vortex setups, and projectiles that the world has to offer.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Meh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're a grappler player primarily, then you'll probably always be a low tier dude. I used to only play fat people too -- outside of Potemkin, O.Hawk, and a few others, we've kind of gotten screwed over, haha. Anyhow, as you know, just play who you enjoy and don't worry about it too much. Grappler players tend to be more patient and willing to deal with bullshit, so you kind of just have to channel that mindset and trudge your way through all of the safe blockstrings, vortex setups, and projectiles that the world has to offer.
Just found that potemkin is now bad in +R. :(
You up for matches sometime?

AndresNoGiant

"I talk to fish Bitches"
So after reading through 6 pages about MK9 balance issues and Bane love... Does anyone actually have any really thoughts on tier lists? Even though tier lists are pretty arbitrary, the topic is still interesting.

McNasty

Moist.
High- Superman, aquaman
High mid- batman, gl, WW, deathstroke, ares, grundy, doomsday, cyborg, black adam, killer frost, green arrow, nightwing
Mid-raven, flash, catwoman, sinestro, bane, joker, harley, hawkgirl, shazam, lex luthor

So far from my experience at least. Im biased toward WW cause I play her and honestly get bodied by mid tiers and high alike so they are all viable its just things that I see as being long term abusable tactics and also how their match ups look across the board.

Eshi

Noob
...The update to balance the game, made the balance worse, and Potemkin is bad now?!
Profound Sadness...
no you misread, the update made Slayer at lot worse and Potemkin vs. Slayer is now 7:3 in Potemkin's advantage. Potemkin himself is more or less the same after his changes.

i have no idea what to think for teir list. I don't think any character is under power but their are some learning curve which make some character easier or harder to grasp.

CamRac

Noob
You up for matches sometime?
For sure, man. Just add me on XBL. I have to warn you though, I'm not very spectacular yet. My job has been wiping out my lab time, and I haven't even decided on a dedicated main, haha.

As for the actual tier list predictions, I think it's pretty obvious that some characters are going to just be strong no matter what (barring NRS nerfs). Batman, Supes, GL, and Aquaman come to mind. Characters that will grow stronger with time are probably the stance characters (NW and WW) and characters with solid mixups/vortexes (KF). Characters like HG, Joker, and Shazam have some glaring holes, but with a little bit of love from the NRS guys, they'll probably be brought up to par. The grappler that seems to have the most potential is definitely Grundy, but he'll probably hover in mid/high tier once it's all said and done.

Anyhow, we'll have to wait and see what tech is discovered in order to continually update who we think the strongest characters are. There's a long road ahead of us as far as IGAU is concerned -- I'm sure there are a lot of things left to find and abuse.