What's new

Best Characters-Tier list prediction

Best character in the near future

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dann

Noob
Let me start off by saying I absolutely LOVE the game! I taught mk9 was balanced and diverse in characters and fighting styles but this game is on a whole different level. I believe this game is extremely balanced. I will not even attempt to predict who the worst characters are because quite frankly I believe there aren't any bad characters in this game. What I will say is that right of the back there are some characters that stick out from the rest of the pack. The purpose of this thread is to guide people who are still unsure who to main or pick up and to see if we can accurately predict which characters will be seing the most in the following tournaments.

Best characters (In no particular order)
Aquaman - All of this characters normals have as much reach as kitanas d1 in Mortal Kombat lol. He's trait also prevents you from inflicting high damage on him, he does great damage and has good mix ups. He is a great character.
Superman- great normals, good specials, ridiculous damage. I wouldn't expect anything less from the man of steel
Batman- When you vs a good batman its hard to get any room to breathe. cool trait, fast normals, great specials. Batman is one of the reasons I stopped playing death stroke
Black adam- 19% combos from full screen lol. great trait awesome dive kick.

Awesome characters
Green Arrow- my favorite character by far. I think he can do it all.
killer frost- she is really good. i was debating wether to put her in the top 5
green lantern- probably the most balance character. like green arrow he can do it all

Characters I believe would be good as the game progresses
deathstroke, sinestro- I dont believe they are Op or they need nerfs but they will be even harder to deal with ones players learn how to use the universal armor cancels and develop a better understanding of the game
Raven- she seems really solid
the Joker- gun cancels, otg set ups, weird trait that can make him a huge threat in the future
shazam- I love his fighting style
Cyborg- This is the character I fear the most. He has way to many tools

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
At this point I only want broken things fixed

Superman trait

Batman trait

Aquaman trait

Ares reset

Killer frost slide

Cyborg block infinite

Black Adam divekick

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I really think Deathstroke is going to remain a top contender, even as the fgc learns how to deal with his zoning. Having a 7-frame mid-hitting string that's +9 on block and leads to around 26% on hit is nothing to scoff at. He also has an answer to everything. You can't hide anywhere on screen and not be subjected to constant 3% chip. You can't jump. You can't really rush him down as long as his wakeup moves actually come out. People complain about his zoning, but that's really only one aspect of his incredibly dangerous game. He'll remain top 10 easily, and more than likely find himself in top 5 as people learn how to abuse his up-close tools..

I'm also not sure about Killer Frost's position. She's got her slide, and that's about it beyond some mediocre zoning. Once people learn how to deal with slide, it will hurt her a lot more then people learning how to deal with DS's zoning.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Aquaman, Raven, and Killerfrost are scary when good players use them.

Superman is only good because of how brain dead he is, sort of like Ryu, getting high damage out of him isn't hard at all and he has an answer for everything.

Batman is the same more of less, except you actually have to work a bit more for your damage.

Deathstroke, eh the ONLY thing about him that's really good/stupid is his spin, the pushback on block is frustrating depending on what character you're using. Everything else about him can be countered with patience and timing.

If Zangief is a noob killer, Doomsday is a noob annihilator, online is so free right now for me, at least 70% of my fights as Doomsday I mean. I can say the same for Black Adam.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Not sure if this game is as balanced as we think it is. I definetly think counterpicking will be ultra important in tournament play. Some characters just cant beat others. Aquaman, batman, ares, lantern, and raven seem top tier imo. To soon to know though. We know whos strong so far but we dont know how to punish everyone in this game yet. Thats when we will know whos best.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
^ The only character i've used that has completely one-sided match ups is Cyborg.

Cyborg vs Sinestro or Aquaman is damn impossible if they're good.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
He doesn't need buffs when he goes even with or beats most of these guys.

Just a better charge.
I almost want to like this.. Just so I can unlike it..

Bane is the worst out of the big 3.. And he needs some help.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I really think Deathstroke is going to remain a top contender, even as the fgc learns how to deal with his zoning. Having a 7-frame mid-hitting string that's +9 on block and leads to around 26% on hit is nothing to scoff at. He also has an answer to everything. You can't hide anywhere on screen and not be subjected to constant 3% chip. You can't jump. You can't really rush him down as long as his wakeup moves actually come out. People complain about his zoning, but that's really only one aspect of his incredibly dangerous game. He'll remain top 10 easily, and more than likely find himself in top 5 as people learn how to abuse his up-close tools..

I'm also not sure about Killer Frost's position. She's got her slide, and that's about it beyond some mediocre zoning. Once people learn how to deal with slide, it will hurt her a lot more then people learning how to deal with DS's zoning.
Being top 10 in the game is good, bt not great. If you think about it there is only 24 characters in the roster at the moment, so being like 9-14 is high mid - mid tier. I see deahstroke anywhere between 8th and 11th. He is going to be repltile good, but not top tier. Rushdown characters can destroy his day and ruin the passion he has for his job. He is a very solid zoner and solid character though, so he is still definitely viable.

With that being said the best character in the game is superman, superman, SUPERMAN!!!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Being top 10 in the game is good, bt not great. If you think about it there is only 24 characters in the roster at the moment, so being like 9-14 is high mid - mid tier. I see deahstroke anywhere between 8th and 11th. He is going to be repltile good, but not top tier. Rushdown characters can destroy his day and ruin the passion he has for his job. He is a very solid zoner and solid character though, so he is still definitely viable.

With that being said the best character in the game is superman, superman, SUPERMAN!!!
I see the top characters right now as Batman, Superman, Aquaman, and Black Adam. Past that is really anyone's guess, with a lot of people looking at Green Lantern. I genuinely believe Deathstroke could fill that 5th spot, and I could definitely see him taking a major tournament. I don't believe he falls as hard to rushdown as a lot of people seem to think. I really think he's more of a hybrid than a pure zoner, which makes sense considering he gets outzoned by Sinestro, and even characters like Nightwing can match him from full-screen.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I see the top characters right now as Batman, Superman, Aquaman, and Black Adam. Past that is really anyone's guess, with a lot of people looking at Green Lantern. I genuinely believe Deathstroke could fill that 5th spot, and I could definitely see him taking a major tournament. I don't believe he falls as hard to rushdown as a lot of people seem to think. I really think he's more of a hybrid than a pure zoner, which makes sense considering he gets outzoned by Sinestro, and even characters like Nightwing can match him from full-screen.
You can't sleep on dual stance characters.. NW and WW.. The game is still newborn and I cringe when I think about the day these two are opened up fully..

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Superman's a bitch. He's the worst easily. Ridiculous Cyrax-like corner damage, dumb pressure, great mobility, dumb zoning, laughably cheap trait, startup time for his trait is BROKEN (why in the FUCK is the startup so fast? You can full combo punish armored moves on reaction! So dumb!), dumb fullscreen super, I can go on & on.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Superman's a bitch. He's the worst easily. Ridiculous Cyrax-like corner damage, dumb pressure, great mobility, dumb zoning, laughably cheap trait, startup time for his trait is BROKEN (why in the FUCK is the startup so fast? You can full combo punish armored moves on reaction! So dumb!), dumb fullscreen super, I can go on & on.
He is "Superman"..........

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Agreed, but to my knowledge his only fast string as a form of punishment is f23. his 132 and 323 are 10+ frames on startup iirc, so punishing a lot of blocked pressure strings is difficult. It is even more difficult to punish in this game PERIOD because most things are safe. Deathstroke universal punisher literally is d1 xx sword flip.

I don't see him falling into the 5th spot. Cyborg takes the cake as best zoner in the game and his rushdown is pretty viable as well. His corner damage is INSANE and his midscreen game is filled with Instant Air Fire Balls, which will still be viable if they ever patch them, and stagger missile resets. Think of kabals zoning, but easier to get around and not as insane meter building abilities. His missle setups are nuts as well. One wrong guess on either stage or knockdown can cause you to eat an overhead missile into b3, ji3, ji2, 113 xx push cannon back dash cancel xx IAFB x infinite lol!

Rush down characters do not destroy Deathstroke. Just saying. ;)
Tell that to nightwing, black adam, killer frost, and superman, lol. ;)

I highly recommend drinking some water or eating asparagus to cleanse your body of all that salt. Jess Christ man hahah!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Agreed, but his only fast string as a form of punishment is f23. his 132 and 323 are 10+ frames on startup iirc, so punishing a lot of blocked pressure strings is difficult. It is even more difficult to punish in this gamer PERIOD because most things are safe. Deathstroke universal punisher literally is d1 xx sword flip.

I don't see him falling into the 5th spot. Cyborg takes the cake as best zoner in the game and his rushdown is pretty viable as well. His corner damage is INSANE and his midscreen game is filled with Instant Air Fire Balls, which will still be viable if they ever patch them, and stagger missile resets. Think of kabals zoning, but easier to get around and not as insane meter building abilities. His missle setups are nuts as well. One wrong guess on either stage or knockdown can cause you to eat an overhead missile into b3, ji3, ji2, 113 xx push cannon back dash cancel xx IAFB x infinite lol!
I don't know where d1-Sword Flip came from, but that is not a viable string. Sword Flip is a mid, not an overhead, and Sword Spin does more damage and is safer. f23 is a perfectly viable punisher. It's 7 frames, +9(!) on block, and leads to around 26% damage that pushes the opponent back to almost full screen. If they block it, he gets a free b1u2 that's totally safe and leads to over 30%. His 323 string may be a bit slow, but it's got incredible range, is very difficult to punish, and leads to almost 30%.

I've yet to see any player who can reliably do Cyborg's iafb's. I play on hitbox and can do them incredibly close to the ground fairly reliably. In practice mode I recorded Cyborg doing them and was still able to reverse his momentum easily with DS.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I don't know where d1-Sword Flip came from, but that is not a viable string. Sword Flip is a mid, not an overhead, and Sword Spin does more damage and is safer. f23 is a perfectly viable punisher. It's 7 frames, +9(!) on block, and leads to around 26% damage that pushes the opponent back to almost full screen. If they block it, he gets a free b1u2 that's totally safe and leads to over 30%. His 323 string may be a bit slow, but it's got incredible range, is very difficult to punish, and leads to almost 30%.

I've yet to see any player who can reliably do Cyborg's iafb's. I play on hitbox and can do them incredibly close to the ground fairly reliably. In practice mode I recorded Cyborg doing them and was still able to reverse his momentum easily with DS.
d1 sword flip as a punisher not a pressure string. Also, I never said f23 wasn't a viable punisher. It's like his only one lol. I can do about 15 iafb in a row b4 i mess up, but haven't play at vsm yet. Training mode is different from actual combat.

Also, why the hell isn't there an ability to TK on the street fighter control setup for IGAU!?