What's new

Ben Affleck cast as the new Batman in Man of Steel 2

Yeah, I'm not sure why a thread with a poll got closed when no other thread had a poll.

It seems like with superhero movies it can be hit or miss. There are actors I really liked, but who didn't fit the part of a superhero quite right. I remember when Tim Burton cast Michael Keaton, people questioned his choice. After all, Michael Keaton was not a buff, athletic looking actor. He said it was because Keaton had a dark edge, where you could see him as a guy whacky enough to put on a batsuit at night and run around. Recognising that Batman/Bruce Wayne isn't exactly 100% right in the head by normal standards. You want someone who has a certain crazy in the eyes. So like, Harrison Ford is really cool and a great actor, but he is kind of straight-laced. Hard to picture him suiting up as the Caped Crusader. That is something of a reservation I have for Ben Affleck, who I like, but has more often been playing straight-laced characters. Not just the horror that was Daredevil. I guess we'll see whether he can bring it.

To be fair, Daredevil was f---ing horrid. Definitely one of the worst superhero movies, if not the worst superhero movie. I'd easily rewatch the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, Nicholas Hammond Spiderman, 80s Swamp Thing, or pretty much any other superhero movie before Daredevil. It still makes me cringe, even if it was 10 years ago. It was that bad.

Reactions: JLG

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Yeah, I'm not sure why a thread with a poll got closed when no other thread had a poll.

Yeah idk, I asked if they could make a poll on this thread since my polled one was closed but I guess you cant after its been made.

It seems like with superhero movies it can be hit or miss. There are actors I really liked, but who didn't fit the part of a superhero quite right. I remember when Tim Burton cast Michael Keaton, people questioned his choice. After all, Michael Keaton was not a buff, athletic looking actor. He said it was because Keaton had a dark edge, where you could see him as a guy whacky enough to put on a batsuit at night and run around. Recognising that Batman/Bruce Wayne isn't exactly 100% right in the head by normal standards. You want someone who has a certain crazy in the eyes. So like, Harrison Ford is really cool and a great actor, but he is kind of straight-laced. Hard to picture him suiting up as the Caped Crusader. That is something of a reservation I have for Ben Affleck, who I like, but has more often been playing straight-laced characters. Not just the horror that was Daredevil. I guess we'll see whether he can bring it.

To be fair, Daredevil was f---ing horrid. Definitely one of the worst superhero movies, if not the worst superhero movie. I'd easily rewatch the Dolph Lundgren Punisher, Nicholas Hammond Spiderman, 80s Swamp Thing, or pretty much any other superhero movie before Daredevil. It still makes me cringe, even if it was 10 years ago. It was that bad.

Daredevil wasnt that good, but I feel like Ben did a decent job, its just the movie was shit. Its how I feel about Superman Returns and Routh.

Keaton was definitely a good Batman because of his dark edge, I agree.

At least finally we will have someone who comes at least CLOSE physically to The Batman in a movie.

Daredevil wasnt that good, but I feel like Ben did a decent job, its just the movie was shit. Its how I feel about Superman Returns and Routh.
Definitely a bad movie can bring everyone down. Superman Returns was so god-awful that even Kevin Spacey got dragged down.

I respectfully have to disagree about Affleck in Daredevil though. The fight with Jennifer Gardner in the playground is probably the worst fight scene in big budget movie history. Maybe they were too in love, I don't know. It was so obvious they were pantomiming motions that were supposed to look like a fight. It was just BAD. You can see them barely suppressing their smiles. Ugh. Overall, I like Affleck, but I can't let him off the hook for that one.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Definitely a bad movie can bring everyone down. Superman Returns was so god-awful that even Kevin Spacey got dragged down.

I respectfully have to disagree about Affleck in Daredevil though. The fight with Jennifer Gardner in the playground is probably the worst fight scene in big budget movie history. Maybe they were too in love, I don't know. It was so obvious they were pantomiming motions that were supposed to look like a fight. It was just BAD. You can see them barely suppressing their smiles. Ugh. Overall, I like Affleck, but I can't let him off the hook for that one.
You know its been so long I'd have to rewatch it, I dont doubt you are right about that.

I get a good dark feeling from him, and hes tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Well, I hated Anne Hathaway for Catwoman and ended up being pleasantly surprised, so I guess we'll see.

I had seen Daredevil in the theatre and hated it. A few years later it was on cable, so I decided to rewatch it. I thought, maybe I was too harsh.... I was amped on the movie, maybe my expectations were too high, maybe if I sat down and watched it again I'd actually enjoy it, since that can happen. I stopped at the playground fight, I couldn't go on.

I suppose the best ray of hope for Affleck is Tom Cruise. When Tom Cruise used his clout to get the role of Lestat for Interview with a Vampire, everyone, including Anne Rice, was incensed for the same reason I have reservations about Affleck. Lestat has a dark edge (more than an edge), and Cruise is too all-American, corn-fed, down-homie of a guy to play a dark character like that. Of course, everyone shut up after they saw his performance and Anne Rice even issued an apology. So, considering great actors can act, there's hope that Affleck can bring that edge.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Wow I really hope Nolan isn't dumb enough to put afflek as batman, I'll be really upset

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

EvilNonsense

steals your stuff
As much as I think Affleck sucks ass as an actor, this might actually work out. He has enough ability to play Bruce Wayne. but who knows how his Batman will be. As long as his Batman voice is better than Bale's, it could be ok.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
One thing I learned about movies over the years is that a bad director will kill an actor's performance big time. DD's director was shit, I was pissed as hell that they allowed him to do the 1st Ghost Rider (another of my fav superheros killed by a bad film.) Anyway back to my original point! As much as I hate all of the Twilight films my wife dragged me to sit through, the direction in those movies held the actors back so badly (except Kristen Stewart she is the human equivlency of a blank sheet of paper), that it was as if they just weren't even allowed to act at all. Using Rob Patterson as an example from that film, after seeing his trash perfromance there and then watch the movie Water for Elephants and you will actually see him act. Same case here as long as the direction is good, we will see a good performance in Affleck. As others mentioned Heath Ledger was probably most authintic vareint of the Joker you will ever see and when he was casted, people bashed the idea, due to all his previous films where he played a staright up pretty boy, or a gay cowboy(serisouly Broke Ass Mountain WTF). Snyder's MoS was not bad, it really took the SM character and world into a different direction and tried its hardest to be the least cheesballish it could. I think Affleck will be good at this role and he also has been called out plenty of times for being a huge comic book nerd. You guys do realize he was asked a while back to direct a Justice League film and he turned it down.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
One thing I learned about movies over the years is that a bad director will kill an actor's performance big time. DD's director was shit, I was pissed as hell that they allowed him to do the 1st Ghost Rider (another of my fav superheros killed by a bad film.) Anyway back to my original point! As much as I hate all of the Twilight films my wife dragged me to sit through, the direction in those movies held the actors back so badly (except Kristen Stewart she is the human equivlency of a blank sheet of paper), that it was as if they just weren't even allowed to act at all. Using Rob Patterson as an example from that film, after seeing his trash perfromance there and then watch the movie Water for Elephants and you will actually see him act. Same case here as long as the direction is good, we will see a good performance in Affleck. As others mentioned Heath Ledger was probably most authintic vareint of the Joker you will ever see and when he was casted, people bashed the idea, due to all his previous films where he played a staright up pretty boy, or a gay cowboy(serisouly Broke Ass Mountain WTF). Snyder's MoS was not bad, it really took the SM character and world into a different direction and tried its hardest to be the least cheesballish it could. I think Affleck will be good at this role and he also has been called out plenty of times for being a huge comic book nerd. You guys do realize he was asked a while back to direct a Justice League film and he turned it down.
Please don't ever mention Twilight on this site again, you do make a great point, and I agree with you, but you only get one warning about Twilight, I almost reported your post. Lets keep TYM clean please, thanks.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Please don't ever mention Twilight on this site again, you do make a great point, and I agree with you, but you only get one warning about Twilight, I almost reported your post. Lets keep TYM clean please, thanks.
Hey never said I liked them, they were atrocious, but it was probably the best I could come up with. Personally I want to see other DC characters have films , like the Green Arrow and the Flash, or even the Justice League Dark Division.

I am sorry for mentioning that spawn of Satan BTW