What's new

Beliefs, Non-Beliefs, Worldviews and Philosophy v2.0

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I know one magic trick, but it's really based on mathematics and I'll guess your card every time. I also did enjoy magic and how it tricks our brain. Especially sacred geometry
^-My favorite one.
I know a few mathematical tricks (one of them you can do with or without cards and to as many people as you want at the same time), but I mainly do card magic and object magic like rubber bands, small objects and straws.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
One big flaw in the whole "Gay people choose to be gay" idea, is that, why would anyone choose to be gay? Don't get me wrong I am completely for gay rights (and rights for all people), but, at least in the U.S, being gay is worse than being straight. I just want to clarify that I'm not saying being gay is a bad thing. However, in the United States, gay people may not marry, a word associated with gays thrown around as an insult, and are discriminated against. So why would anyone choose to be gay? They don't. That's how they were born, simple as that.

And as long as we're discussing gay rights, has anyone else talked about the 14th Amendment of the U.S constitution?
Section 1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

So, gay people not being able to marry is literally defying the constitution.

Youphemism

One big flaw in the whole "Gay people choose to be gay" idea, is that, why would anyone choose to be gay? Don't get me wrong I am completely for gay rights (and rights for all people), but, at least in the U.S, being gay is worse than being straight. I just want to clarify that I'm not saying being gay is a bad thing. However, in the United States, gay people may not marry, a word associated with gays thrown around as an insult, and are discriminated against. So why would anyone choose to be gay? They don't. That's how they were born, simple as that.
Because the love they have for their partner should trump all of that. No offense but if you would rather not be gay because of people judging you and insulting you than be open and confident in who you are then you need to grow a pair and stand up for your sexuality. That's not me saying being gay is a choice by the way that's just my answer to that question :)

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I still maintain my christian beliefs for the most part, but the last few years I've been challenging my beliefs and listening to the atheists, agnostics, muslims, and jews and I must say, it's really shaken my faith at times. At times it really does seem like you can't have a 100% certainty about God and anything about the afterlife. Now I feel like I just can't take it as serious as I once did and right now choose to just be a good person, treat people with respect, and help people out when I can. If I end up going to hell for that, than so be it. I've spent too much time thinking about the big questions in life and just need an indefinite break from religion.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Because the love they have for their partner should trump all of that. No offense but if you would rather not be gay because of people judging you and insulting you than be open and confident in who you are then you need to grow a pair and stand up for your sexuality. That's not me saying being gay is a choice by the way that's just my answer to that question :)
No duh. I'm saying why would someone choose to fall in love with someone of the same sex, not why would someone chose to create a relationship with someone of the same sex. If your sexuality is a choice and you can control who you are attracted too, why would you choose to be attracted to the same sex?

Religion to me is an archaic rationalization of lack of information that we may never know. "We are humans, we're intelligent, someone HAD TO have created us." However there is more evidence to support the big bang than there is to support an omnipotent being who created the universe in 7 days. I'm not anti religious by any means, however children of religious families are forced to believe what they're told from infancy. And I know this first hand because I was raised catholic. Nobody should be pressured into believing anything. You're left to your own devices in this life, if you want to believe some alien dude in a 747 put our souls in a volcano, so be it. But I consider myself a man of science, because at least they have irrefutable evidence for most of their claims.

And when I have kids, I won't even bring religion up to them until they're old enough to decide what they want to believe.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

And as long as we're discussing gay rights, has anyone else talked about the 14th Amendment of the U.S constitution?
Section 1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

So, gay people not being able to marry is literally defying the constitution.
You just pointed out one of the biggest ironies of the Republican parties platform. They bash anyone who isnt republican as destroying the constitution, when they themselves defy it regularly.

Youphemism

No duh. I'm saying why would someone choose to fall in love with someone of the same sex, not why would someone chose to create a relationship with someone of the same sex. If your sexuality is a choice and you can control who you are attracted too, why would you choose to be attracted to the same sex?
Because they appeal to you more than the opposite sex? You're finding more of the things you desire in someone of the same sex than someone of the opposite sex?

Still don't think it's a choice though.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Because they appeal to you more than the opposite sex? You're finding more of the things you desire in someone of the same sex than someone of the opposite sex?

You're completely missing the point. If you can choose what/who appeals to you, why would you choose the same sex? It's not matter of choosing to pursue a relationship, or choosing to act on gay feelings; it's a matter of choosing to have those feelings in the first place. Choosing to find things more desirable of people in the same sex. Why would you choose to have gay feelings? Do you understand now?

Arguing somebody's beliefs doesn't mean you don't respect their beliefs. How does that make sense? The only way we can move forward in our thought processes is if we debate and challenge each other, just like with everything else. Religion doesn't get a free pass from that. Just because where we go after we die is a serious topic doesn't mean that challenging someone's opinion isn't allowed.
There's a difference between a constructive dialectical debate who's purpose is resolving disagreement, finding common grounds and finding solutions. And a meaningless religious debate between "I believe" vs "I don't believe".

LBSH This is how theist vs atheist usually goes:

P1: I believe in god
P2: Well I think you're stupid for believing in a fantastical/mythical creature without proof
P1: Well this sacred book is all the proof I need
P2: lulz but that was written by men u noob. You can't really believe it's the word of god.
P1: Well yes, that's kind of the point of having faith.
P2: So like do you believe in magical fairies as well?
P1: Well no because those are inventions..
P2: LOL don't u realize how retarded you sound. It's the same thing noop.
P1: I disagree I think there's a difference
P2: Well there isn't. If u believe in ur god then u have to believe in goblins and fairies as well.
P1: But goblins aren't in the bible
P2: Who cares about ur bible. It was written by drunken monkeys and it's full of shit.
P1: I care.
P2: Who cares about you u just a stupid brainwashed stuck up little bitch.
P1: Fuck off man
P2: Oh oh oh are you going to murder me like your people murdered millions of people?
P1: Why are you so sure that god doesn't exist?
P2: If there was a god there wouldn't be so much injustice, poverty and illness.
P1: So you think god would just let everyone live eternally and equally regardless of their sins?
P2: Are you saying ppl who die deserve it? man u really make me sick.
P1: I believe in god's plan
P2: Well he isn't a very good planner LOL.
P1: He is kind and just.
P2: u mean he's a fucking selfish monster who wants ppl to suck his dick and kills ppl who don't.
P1: If you're so sure that he doesn't exist why don't you prove it?
P2: That's YOUR job retard. I don't need proof.
P1: And I'm supposed to prove it with science?
P2: DUH? Science is like the answer to everything dude.
P1: So like, do you want a blood sample or a hair from his beard?
P2: Yes I want you to put it in my mouth.
P1: So are you saying you can't believe in something that isn't physical?
P2: That's right. I'll believe it when I see it bitch.
P1: So you really don't have faith?
P2: Damn right I don't believe in any stupid god.
P1: But you understand why some people do believe in god?
P2: No I don't get it. That's the whole point.
P1: What is it that you not get?
P2: I don't know what it's like to be completely mental.
P1: So why are we having this discussion again?
P2: Because we are trying to "move forward" and have a "good and interesting debate"?
P1: Of course. I don't know why I thought you were ill intentioned.
P2: I'm glad we had this enriching conversation. My explicit atheist identity has been solidified and my opinion that religion is full of shit remains just as strong as ever. I thank you for making me feel good about myself and making me feel temporarily superior.
P1: And I thank you for solidifying my faith in god and my unconditional love for my religion. I will go to church even more often and I will pray for you!
P2: Haven't you learned ANYTHING from our conversation?
P1: Not really no.
P2: lolz u are helpless. I pity your kind.
P1: And I pity you.
P2: Keep your pity for yourself fucktard.
P1: I hate you.
P2: I hate you more. (man I'm so good I just OWNED this random christian! Wait 'til I tell this to Becky she gonna be all up in my dick!)

edit

Honestly the only atheists i see arguing in this thread have been logical and respectful (admittedly haven't been watching intently). While I agree that atheists who are aggressive about it in the manner your example showed are just as bad as religious people who are aggressive about their beliefs, don't you think you are stereotyping a little bit?
Of course I was stereotyping for humour. I think it was pretty funny and accurate. :) Change the discussion where the religious is the close minded one and the result is the same. Change it were both are open-minded and the result is still the same.

There is nothing good to ever come out of such religious debates. You either share their belief or you don't share it. And even amongst people who identify as atheist or theist there is always disagreement and conflicts. The only possible outcomes are that both parties solidify their original stance and renew their hatred toward each other (radicalization of atheism and religious people). Or that one or both parties eventually realize they are closer to neutral agnostic than hardcore atheist or hardcore theist.

So I think subliminally people just want to appease religious tensions and keep each other in check, but they end up increasing them more often than not.

btw I wasn't accusing atheists in this thread. Most of those who replied said they respected other people's beliefs and didn't argue much with those who believed. So wait am I saying some atheists are actually reasonable people?! Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that debating religion doesn't get anyone anywhere. It always goes in circle and you see 0.01 agnostic/religious conversions in like 100K threads locked. Yet people still feel like doing it over and over again despite how obviously unhealthy it is.

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
Religious arguments always spin in circles after a few pages, can we discuss/argue about something else?
I think sociology is a useless field of study, it's just another fake science liberal arts major taken predominately by psuedo-intellectual girls without father figures.
Enroll in Sociology 101 if you wish to learn the basics of radical feminism, communism, and black nationalism.

Sample Sociology test question: said:
What was the root cause of the Spanishinfluenza epidemic of 1918?

a. The White man
b. The White race
c. White people
d. all of the above
kappa

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
There's a difference between a constructive dialectical debate who's purpose is resolving disagreement, finding common grounds and finding solutions. And a meaningless religious debate between "I believe" vs "I don't believe".

P2: Well I think you're stupid for believing in a fantastical/mythical creature without proof
P2: lulz but that was written by men u noob. You can't really believe it's the word of god.
P2: Well there isn't. If u believe in ur god then you have to believe in goblins and fairies as well.
P2: Who cares about ur bible. It was written by drunken monkeys and it's full of shit.
P2: Oh oh oh are you going to murder me like your people murdered millions of people?
P2: If there was a god there wouldn't be so much injustice, poverty and illness.
P1: So you think god would just let everyone live eternally and equally regardless of their sins?
P2: u mean he's a fucking selfish monster who wants ppl to suck his dick and kills ppl who don't.
P2: Because we are trying to "move forward" and have a "good and interesting debate"?
P2: I'm glad we had this enriching conversation. My explicit atheist identity has been solidified and my opinion that religion is full of shit remains just as strong as ever. I thank you for making me feel good about myself and making me feel temporarily superior.
P1: And I thank you for solidifying my faith in god and my unconditional love for my religion. I will go to church even more often and I will pray for you!
P2: I hate you more. (man I'm so good I just OWNED this random christian! Wait 'til I tell this to Becky she gonna be all up in my dick!)

Congrats, I didn't think you had it in you, but you sure proved me wrong!

Youphemism

You're completely missing the point. If you can choose what/who appeals to you, why would you choose the same sex? It's not matter of choosing to pursue a relationship, or choosing to act on gay feelings; it's a matter of choosing to have those feelings in the first place. Choosing to find things more desirable of people in the same sex. Why would you choose to have gay feelings? Do you understand now?
Ok well you could enquire about the converse too, if you can choose who/what appeals to you why would you choose the opposite sex?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Ok well you could enquire about the converse too, if you can choose who/what appeals to you why would you choose the opposite sex?
Because you can marry the person you love, pursue relationships in public, not get hated on by religious folks because of who you love, not have a social stigma attached to who you date, not have a higher risk of depression and suicide, not be 'an abomination against God', not have people deny you jobs, not have people kick you out of establishments, not get called '[ban incoming]' and '[ban incoming]', being able to create a traditional family, being able to have children without jumping through shitloads of hoops, not being instantly stereotyped as soon as someone finds out you're gay, and, not get bullied in middle and high school. Do you need more reasons?

Being gay sucks initially. When people tell me I made a choice to be discriminated against that's really annoying/insulting. And, even if it was a choice, why the hell does that give anyone the right to take away my rights?

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
... because we(generally) are driven to find a mate and pass on our genes to our children, and there's no reason not to if you're straight.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

P2: Well there isn't. If u believe in ur god then you have to believe in goblins and fairies as well.
Honestly the only atheists i see arguing in this thread have been logical and respectful (admittedly haven't been watching intently). While I agree that atheists who are aggressive about it in the manner your example showed are just as bad as religious people who are aggressive about their beliefs, don't you think you are stereotyping a little bit?

Youphemism

Because you can marry the person you love, pursue relationships in public, not get hated on by religious folks because of who you love, not have a social stigma attached to who you date, not have a higher risk of depression and suicide, not be 'an abomination against God', not have people deny you jobs, not have people kick you out of establishments, not get called '[ban incoming]' and '[ban incoming]', being able to create a traditional family, being able to have children without jumping through shitloads of hoops, not being instantly stereotyped as soon as someone finds out you're gay, and, not get bullied in middle and high school. Do you need more reasons?

Being gay sucks initially. When people tell me I made a choice to be discriminated against that's really annoying/insulting. And, even if it was a choice, why the hell does that give anyone the right to take away my rights?
Then let me go back to my earlier point- the fact you love them/want to have feelings for them should trump all that anyway and if you're choosing to be straight because you can't handle some judgement from others who aren't a part of your love life anyway rather than choosing to be gay because it appeals to you more feelings-wise then you need to man up and dismiss the opinions of others. If you adopt a child you shouldn't be loving it any less than a child of your own anyway either, and even straight people can encounter problems with fertility and whatnot.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Then let me go back to my earlier point- the fact you love them/want to have feelings for them should trump all that anyway and if you're choosing to be straight because you can't handle some judgement from others who aren't a part of your love life anyway rather than choosing to be gay because it appeals to you more feelings-wise then you need to man up and dismiss the opinions of others. If you adopt a child you shouldn't be loving it any less than a child of your own anyway either, and even straight people can encounter problems with fertility and whatnot.
You're still missing the point. If you could choose who or what appeals to you, no-one would choose the same sex. It's not a matter of "It's too hard to be gay so even though I'd like dudes I'm gonna live a straight life". It's a matter of, "I can choose who I like, so I'll choose to like the opposite sex and not the same sex; I therefore will have no attraction to members of the same sex because I can consciously choose who I am attracted to. This will avoid a life of persecution, bullying, higher rates of suicide, discrimination and lack of rights."

Also, it is much harder for gay couples to adopt children than it is for straight couples. In fact, in many places (my own country included) it's not possible for a gay couple to adopt children.

I like who I like, and I'm grateful to have a loving caring boyfriend, but if the option was given to most gay men and you could literally just switch off your same sex attraction and replace it with heterosexuality, most gay men would jump at the chance.

Ok let's say you are gay and want to have a family. Why would you pay 30-60K or more to a woman to procreate for you when you can just "choose" to have a wife and make your own baby for free? It's much more simpler to be straight.

Not to mention it's a lot harder to find someone when you are homosexual (I mean statistically, you are a minority). And you have a lot more body image issues due to being constantly compared to same sex partners. AND you are victim of homophobe threats. etc.

If sexuality really was a choice everyone would choose to be straight, bi-sexual or omni-sexual lol. Simply because we would have the most options and lowest chance of being alone/suffering.

Last edited:

part1of2

Noob
You're speaking past him, the point they're making is just why would someone willingly choose to be ostracized and ridiculed by society? You're like maybe they're just naturally attracted to someone of the opposite sex... And Pan's like yeah.. Exactly that is why someone would do that. Get it? He's illustrating how ridiculous it is to believe otherwise. To believe that people choose to be gay and that it's not natural normal attraction.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I have a question for you straight males out there who think your sexuality is a choice. If you woke up tomorrow a female, would you suddenly crave the penis? Everything about you is the same, you just no longer have a ding-a-ling and now have a vagina and nice tits. Will you go "welp, I guess I'll be attracted to guys now"? I doubt it, unless you already "love tha cock".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Vulcan Hades If peoples religious beliefs had no impact on me, other people, society, politics, and a lot of other areas, not many would even care to even question them. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Your beliefs inform your decisions and actions, whether explicitly apparent or not. If the majority of people in the country you live in all believe in the same thing, base their lives around it, make laws to abide by it, incorporate it in the justice and legal systems, and then tell you that you're going to be tortured for eternity if you don't also believe in it or at the very least you'll be ostracized... you'd probably at the very LEAST want what they all believe in to be as true as possible. If Christianity or any other religion didn't have such a major impact on society and human behavior, there wouldn't be much reason to challenge others religious beliefs.

I'm not going to remain silent and not tell you you're full of shit when you condemn me to torture for eternity when my only crime is disbelief. While, based on that same belief, a person who has raped and murdered, can "truly" repent and not suffer the same fate, and in fact can be forgiven and live happily for eternity.

But like I said, if the belief had no impact on me or anyone else, I'd be fine with it. If your religious belief was something that you kept to yourself, it didn't affect me or society, and you weren't condemning me for not also believing, there would be zero problems. That's just not the world we live in.

I'm not even religious lol. I simply take the defense of religious people because this is an MK site so of course most people here are atheists and it's really easy to gang up on them and try to silence them or whatever. I don't care what people believe in or if they don't believe in anything at all.

But yeah like I said earlier I completely understand why a more aggressive Atheism is more important to have in a country like the US, where the separation of church and state is questionable at best.

It's like 4-8% atheists in the US vs 40-50% or more in Canada. So there's a point where you don't even need to confront religious people anymore because they barely make up half of the population and the country is already fully secular. So when it's around 50/50 then it's the religious people and immigrants who start becoming ostracized and oppressed by ultranationalists and racists/xenophobes. It's all about balance.

Last edited:
I believe that all personality components and global life is a product of natural selection and we should satisfy that which nature dictated to the fullest potential in order to become the best version of ourselves...

i also believe that empathy and emotion were adapted because it was competitively advantageous, so repression of these drives is not competitively fit so in order to be the best/strongest person you must embrace your naturaly tendency to empathize, and logically deduce the reasons behind your emotions and act accordingly.

I also believe that everything we can possibly experience is confined within logic, and it is inescapable, and to be the strongest person you must bethe most logical you can... even your emotions are confined witin logic

Last edited: