What's new

Beliefs, Non-Beliefs, Worldviews and Philosophy v2.0

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I understand what they are saying but they are not fully accurate. I think once things get to a certain point intellectually (I am not sure how to word this) white people do not necessarily have an advantage. I mean, when people are being interviewed for a high ranking job or something (If you have info to debunk this, I would be interested to see). However, to say that there is still not a fundamental racial issue when it comes to general stereotyping and issues like what was discussed here a few weeks back (the walmart shooting) is just plain wrong. That issue is still there. More of a de facto segregation idea, where it's stereotyping against cultures and issues with lower class citizens. I don't know if I am making any sense at all haha.

EDIT: The problem is, ending de facto segregation through law and government action can be kind of ineffective in a lot of ways, and the repercussions of those attempts are what these people have a problem with. At least that is how I am interpreting it.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
That y'all need to realize you do have privilege and that shit exist.
I acknowledge that I have privilege being born into an upper middle class family, but I am not given an advantage in education or employment because of the colour of my skin. The same that I am not disadvantaged because I'm gay.

I'm not going to deny that people of colour experience racism, but the idea that it's sanctioned or condoned by the law and 'white' society at large is just false. The only legalised institutional racism is affirmative action

The truth is, race and class are often highly correlated. It's not so much a racial issue as it is a class issue. When you stratify for class, the bias appears to reduces greatly.

In not going to feel guilty over something I had no choice about and can't change. Neither am I going to be a victim because I'm not straight.

Also, just wanted to address the whole 'racism equals discrimination plus power" argument. No, racism is racism regardless of who says it or whom it's against.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I acknowledge that I have privilege being born into an upper middle class family, but I am not given an advantage in education or employment because of the colour of my skin. The same that I am not disadvantaged because I'm gay.

I'm not going to deny that black people experience racism, but the idea that an entire system (of which de facto all white people are a part of) is actively trying to keep people of colour down doesn't make sense. The only legalised institutional racism is affirmative action

The truth is, race and class are often highly correlated. It's not so much a racial issue as it is a class issue. When you stratify for class, the bias appears to reduces greatly.

In not going to feel guilty over something I had no choice about and can't change. Neither am I going to be a victim because I'm not straight.

Also, just wanted to address the whole 'racism equals discrimination plus power" argument.
You make a lot of sense when you talk haha. I have a difficult time typing out what I am trying to say but you seem to do it for me on a regular basis. Keep it up.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

I'm not going to deny that people of colour experience racism, but the idea that it's sanctioned or condoned by the law and 'white' society at large is just false. The only legalised institutional racism is affirmative action

Also, just wanted to address the whole 'racism equals discrimination plus power" argument. No, racism is racism regardless of who says it or whom it's against.
There have been numerous studies that show people who have black sounding names are three times less likely to get a callback for a job than a person with a white sounding name.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
There have been numerous studies that show people who have black sounding names are three times less likely to get a callback for a job than a person with a white sounding name.
Interesting point. I would argue that that is more stereotyping against culture than the actual race itself though. When I think of black sounding names I generally think of a certain group of people rather than the race as a whole. It could be argued that this is still once again a de facto issue because that culture is based around lower class people (for the most part, not always, and you also see white people adopting this culture). I guess that is racist on my part though because obviously somebody's name really doesn't tell anything about their social class. I am just trying to think of where the real issue is.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion

Nah. A poor black man is worse off than a poor white man. So many white people have the misconception that racism is primarily a matter of individual cruelty rather than systemic prejudice. Class isn't the whole issue.

Acknowledging white privelage does not equal accepting white guilt. No need for a victim complex.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Nah. A poor black man is worse off than a poor white man. So many white people have the misconception that racism is primarily a matter of individual cruelty rather than systemic prejudice. Class isn't the whole issue.

Acknowledging white privelage does not equal accepting white guilt. No need for a victim complex.
A poor black student may get accepted into med school because of affirmative action. A poor white student will not.

Nothing good comes from acknowledging so called race based privileges. What do you want white people to do with the acknowledgement? Like acknowledging class privilege allows you to rectify the injustice by donating money, doing charity work, etc. Acknowledging race based privilege doesn't give me anywhere to go, it's a pointless construct. I can't share whiteness with you.

In Australia, there are serious problems within the indigenous population. Drug abuse, drug related violence, domestic abuse, suicide, depression, lower socio-economic class, shorter life expectancy, sexually transmitted diseases and lower educational attainment. The government has intervened multiple times, offering counselling, pouring in funds, creating race based quotas for employment in government jobs and at universities, lower requirements for entry into university, offering multiple full scholarships, encouraging doctors to work with indigenous Australians, etc. After all the effort poured into resolving this inequality, it still exists. Are these the result of systematic oppression though? Or perhaps other factors?

Painting whites as oppressors serves no purpose and doesn't help achieve equality. It just lengthens the divide between races.

I'd also like to point out that I don't doubt that racism occurs, just as I don't doubt that homophobia and transphobia exists. It's the idea that it's a systematic prejudice upheld by the law and white people in general that I dispute.

For example, my friend from highschool has some indigenous heritage. His family is incredibly wealthy (think holidays in Europe every winter wealthy) but he was very lazy. During our final year at school I spent it studying like crazy, he went out and partied every night and coasted through assessments getting bare passes. When we got our ATARs back (think Australian SATs) he scored in the 65th percentile while I scored in the 99th percentile. We both got accepted into the same university, the same course, a course with incredibly difficult entry requirements (it had a cutoff entry requirement of 98.9th percentile). He was accepted despite his significantly lower ATAR because of his indigenous heritage. Not only that, but because he is an indigenous student at university, he was given a national scholarship which covered the cost of his entire degree. Meanwhile, I've worked 3 jobs throughout my undergrad to cover costs and yet again he's costed through uni getting bare passes. Med school offers came out; guess what? He got his first preference in spite of his GPA, interview score and GAMSAT (equivalent of MCAT) being significantly lower than mine, while I've got my second preference. Is that the institutional system actively working to persecute black individuals?

Last edited:

Shaazzyam

A poor black student may get accepted into med school because of affirmative action. A poor white student will not.

Nothing good comes from acknowledging so called race based privileges. What do you want white people to do with the acknowledgement? Like acknowledging class privilege allows you to rectify the injustice by donating money, doing charity work, etc. Acknowledging race based privilege doesn't give me anywhere to go, it's a pointless construct. I can't share whiteness with you.

In Australia, there are serious problems within the indigenous population. Drug abuse, drug related violence, domestic abuse, suicide, depression, lower socio-economic class, shorter life expectancy, sexually transmitted diseases and lower educational attainment. The government has intervened multiple times, offering counselling, pouring in funds, creating race based quotas for employment in government jobs and at universities, lower requirements for entry into university, offering multiple full scholarships, encouraging doctors to work with indigenous Australians, etc. After all the effort poured into resolving this inequality, it still exists. Are these the result of systematic oppression though? Or perhaps other factors?

Painting whites as oppressors serves no purpose and doesn't help achieve equality. It just lengthens the divide between races.

I'd also like to point out that I don't doubt that racism occurs, just as I don't doubt that homophobia and transphobia exists. It's the idea that it's a systematic prejudice upheld by the law and white people in general that I dispute.

For example, my friend from highschool has some indigenous heritage. His family is incredibly wealthy (think holidays in Europe every winter wealthy) but he was very lazy. During our final year at school I spent it studying like crazy, he went out and partied every night and coasted through assessments getting bare passes. When we got our ATARs back (think Australian SATs) he scored in the 65th percentile while I scored in the 99th percentile. We both got accepted into the same university, the same course, a course with incredibly difficult entry requirements (it had a cutoff entry requirement of 98.9th percentile). He was accepted despite his significantly lower ATAR because of his indigenous heritage. Not only that, but because he is an indigenous student at university, he was given a national scholarship which covered the cost of his entire degree. Meanwhile, I've worked 3 jobs throughout my undergrad to cover costs and yet again he's costed through uni getting bare passes. Med school offers came out; guess what? He got his first preference in spite of his GPA, interview score and GAMSAT (equivalent of MCAT) being significantly lower than mine, while I've got my second preference. Is that the institutional system actively working to persecute black individuals?
I don't believe that there is widespread racism there in general, but there are some groups that do have it noticeably worse than others. I'm not too sure what the Australian experience is. From what I understand, if you are white in Australia though, there is pretty much no racism directed your way except in the presence of small, tight knit immigrant groups that have a very strong "us and them" identity. If you wanna continue the discussion, let's keep the focus on one country, preferably the U.S, at least when it comes to white privilege.

Race is a shorthand for poverty in this country, and has been for a long time. Italians, Irish, Greeks, all had to go through the poverty mill. The difference is that none of these groups were slaves. They were all discriminated against and all require bootstraps, but the legacy of slavery and hatred is uniquely aimed at black people. Even immigrant Chinese, who were effectively slaves, we're able to escape those shackles literally and figuratively. This is one of the reasons why I want to punch white people who complain about affirmative action. Nobody can tell you're white trash if you don't act like it. Black people in the US cannot yet enjoy that luxury.

Why acknowledge inherent privileges between skin color? So when black people point out the clear prejudice in America(Case in point, the New York City stop and frisk law, which has stopped more black males between the age of 14 and 24 than the total number of black males in that age group who live in NYC), it's not met with "stop making this about race, you're the racist" or "Affirmatice Action, bro." Putting your hands over your ears and ignoring it helps no one or bringing up pointa that only serves to distract from the main issue.

I mean, is it wrong to say that tall people will have an easier time reaching something on a top shelf? It's more about being aware of the differences. It's depressing how hard it is for white people to just accept that society is set up in a way so that they're 100 meters ahead of other races in the dash to the finish. It might not be your fault but you could at least take the blinders off. Education is the first step to solving the problem.

Or nah the best thing to do is get ridiculously defensive over getting some odds stacked in your favor upon birth. Woe is us. Smallest violin playing for white people.

That anecdotal evidence isn't. But this is: http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/racial-disproportionality-in-school-discipline-implicit-bias-is-heavily-implicated/

and

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
I'm not discussing race on internet forums anymore. Society is not a 100% meritocracy, and never will be. Schools are complete garbage. Some kids get great educations, while others get total garbage. Schools force some kids to go to school with gangbangers, and bullies, and no one ever gets expelled. Girls are allowed to bully other girls damn near into suicide, and the homes of some students are almost shacks. Race is still an issue, but society doesn't give a flying fuck about education, or safe neighborhoods or smart policing.

Why do gang members get to claim entire neighborhoods as their own without getting arrested? Why do kids who bully and beat up other kids get to keep attending school? why is their no sensible standard for schools? Why doesn't every school teach logic and computer programming from k-12? Why are people allowed to be math illiterate, and just plain illiterate? Fuck it. People argue over teaching creationsim so why does anyone expect anyone to know anything? It's a miracle anything works in society. I mean, we have the CDC letting Ebola infected hospital workers fly around anywhere they want. lol.

As long as someone knows how to do their fucking job, I don't care how they got there. But, I do hope there's some damn diversity.
Yes, our public schools are complete shit. They are almost like prison, except you get better food in prison. They serve one purpose, to indoctrinate.

When I saw the Ebola infected people on the news being brought back into the US a month or two ago, I knew the fix was in. LOL

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I don't believe that there is widespread racism there in general, but there are some groups that do have it noticeably worse than others. I'm not too sure what the Australian experience is. From what I understand, if you are white in Australia though, there is pretty much no racism directed your way except in the presence of small, tight knit immigrant groups that have a very strong "us and them" identity. If you wanna continue the discussion, let's keep the focus on one country, preferably the U.S, at least when it comes to white privilege.

Race is a shorthand for poverty in this country, and has been for a long time. Italians, Irish, Greeks, all had to go through the poverty mill. The difference is that none of these groups were slaves. They were all discriminated against and all require bootstraps, but the legacy of slavery and hatred is uniquely aimed at black people. Even immigrant Chinese, who were effectively slaves, we're able to escape those shackles literally and figuratively. This is one of the reasons why I want to punch white people who complain about affirmative action. Nobody can tell you're white trash if you don't act like it. Black people in the US cannot yet enjoy that luxury.

Why acknowledge inherent privileges between skin color? So when black people point out the clear prejudice in America(Case in point, the New York City stop and frisk law, which has stopped more black males between the age of 14 and 24 than the total number of black males in that age group who live in NYC), it's not met with "stop making this about race, you're the racist" or "Affirmatice Action, bro." Putting your hands over your ears and ignoring it helps no one or bringing up pointa that only serves to distract from the main issue.

I mean, is it wrong to say that tall people will have an easier time reaching something on a top shelf? It's more about being aware of the differences. It's depressing how hard it is for white people to just accept that society is set up in a way so that they're 100 meters ahead of other races in the dash to the finish. It might not be your fault but you could at least take the blinders off. Education is the first step to solving the problem.

Or nah the best thing to do is get ridiculously defensive over getting some odds stacked in your favor upon birth. Woe is us. Smallest violin playing for white people.

That anecdotal evidence isn't. But this is: http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/racial-disproportionality-in-school-discipline-implicit-bias-is-heavily-implicated/

and

Again, I'd argue that's more of a class problem than a racial one. Gang relations, drug abuse and anti-social behaviour are directly related to lower socio-economic status, of which black Americans make up a disproportionate amount, which is in turn related to school performance and discipline. Now, this is due to discrimination that happened in the past, 50+ years ago that gave the ancesestors of whites ability to accrue wealth. However, when we look at Asian immigrants who migrated to America in the 60s and slightly earlier, we see that the opportunity to accrue wealth has been similar, but that the test scores and academic performance and class mobility among these individuals is markedly different to those of black Americans. So then is it really a systematic oppression of minorities that keeps them down? Or a deep-seated culture of anti-intellectualism, gangs and drug abuse within certain minority groups? This is what needs to be addressed.

I suppose though I do not have a great experience of what it is like in America and am not qualified to talk in depth about it. Although clear social problems exists in minority groups, particular with indigenous Australians, we are a much more integrated society with a much shorter history. Basically everyone alive here is either first, second or third generation of immigrants. We also didn't have the problem of slavery, although we have had terrible racial injustices in our past, particularly against indigenous populations. Things like alumni preferences, admission based on donations, admissions based on 'daddy' calling the board etc. aren't a thing in Australia. There are several programmes in place to encourage equality but (barring the programme for individuals of indigenous descent) these are based on class disadvantage, circumstance and disability- not race.

Full disclosure, although my complexion is relatively pale, I barely qualify as 'white' given my Turkish/Arabic/Persian descent. I wouldn't self identify as white and my ancestors experienced a life of war, poverty and subjugation, yet suddenly I'm meant to be responsible for the slave trade in America? I'm not pretending to understand the struggle that African Americans experience, nor denying that there is racism perpetuated against black individuals. What I am arguing againsts is the idea that it's the result of a concerted 'white' effort to subjugate black individuals codified in law that is the source of these prejudices. These problems are the result of deep seated cultural issues that need to be addressed, not that 'the white man' is persecuting you.

I've had very similar conversations with gay individuals who insist that the reason they're not succeeding is because the straight world is working against them. Yes, life may be tougher as us as gay individuals, but it's not some mass conspiracy to subjugate homosexuals codified into law. That would be religion...

Last edited:

Shaazzyam

Again, I'd argue that's more of a class problem than a racial one. Gang relations, drug abuse and anti-social behaviour are directly related to lower socio-economic status, of which black Americans make up a disproportionate amount, which is in turn related to school performance and discipline. Now, this is due to discrimination that happened in the past, 50+ years ago that gave the ancesestors of whites ability to accrue wealth. However, when we look at Asian immigrants who migrated to America in the 60s and slightly earlier, we see that the opportunity to accrue wealth has been similar, but that the test scores and academic performance and class mobility among these individuals is markedly different to those of black Americans. So then is it really a systematic oppression of minorities that keeps them down? Or a deep-seated culture of anti-intellectualism, gangs and drug abuse within certain minority groups? This is what needs to be addressed.

I suppose though I do not have a great experience of what it is like in America and am not qualified to talk in depth about it. Although clear social problems exists in minority groups, particular with indigenous Australians, we are a much more integrated society with a much shorter history. Basically everyone alive here is either first, second or third generation of immigrants. We also didn't have the problem of slavery, although we have had terrible racial injustices in our past, particularly against indigenous populations. Things like alumni preferences, admission based on donations, admissions based on 'daddy' calling the board etc. aren't a thing in Australia. There are several programmes in place to encourage equality but (barring the programme for individuals of indigenous descent) these are based on class disadvantage, circumstance and disability- not race.

Full disclosure, although my complexion is relatively pale, I barely qualify as 'white' given my Turkish/Arabic/Persian descent. I wouldn't self identify as white and my ancestors experienced a life of war, poverty and subjugation, yet suddenly I'm meant to be responsible for the slave trade in America? I'm not pretending to understand the struggle that African Americans experience, nor denying that there is racism perpetuated against black individuals. What I am arguing againsts is the idea that it's the result of a concerted 'white' effort to subjugate black individuals codified in law that is the source of these prejudices. These problems are the result of deep seated cultural issues that need to be addressed, not that 'the white man' is persecuting you.

I've had very similar conversations with gay individuals who insist that the reason they're not succeeding is because the straight world is working against them. Yes, life may be tougher as us as gay individuals, but it's not some mass conspiracy to subjugate homosexuals codified into law. That would be religion...

Successful restaurateur Eddie Huang has this retort where he tells people to please stop using asians vs blacks.

1) Asians were never enslaved ... besides internment camps. Let's just get that out of the way, unpack that on your own time, you don't need me for that.

2) Asians have history. Many of us can trace our families back to China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Sanrio, etc. and we're connected. SLAVERY BROKE THE BRIDGE TO HISTORY. Imagine living without knowing your history, your language, your culture, and YOUR FAMILY. Through SLAVERY, blacks were torn from their families, their homes, their countries, and forced to create new ones. Even when they did start new ones in America, they were still torn apart, re-sold, and forced back down to zero.

Either way, points about asian americans don't have anything to do with the topic at hand. Two different experiences.

Something else that needs to be cleared up. People who actually think people of color can't succeed because of racism or that the topic of privilege is actually making the statement "people of color can't succeed because of racism" don't actually understand what privilege means in this context and are attacking strawmen.

It's never been "black people can't succeed" but rather "they have to deal with extra layers of bullshit that lower their average success rate. Please recognize that this is a thing that exists and as fellow humans beings presumably interested in equality and fairness, help them get rid of the bullshit" The idea that anyone can "make it", and yet certain groups statistically "make it" at different rates than others. Clearly there are additional factors influencing the distribution. Which is the definition of white privilege, that just means that society is set up so that white people will have an easier time getting ahead than minorities, not that minorities can't.

So then is it really a systematic oppression of minorities that keeps them down? Or a deep-seated culture of anti-intellectualism, gangs and drug abuse within certain minority groups? .
Is this the "black people are their own worst enemy argument"? In seriousness, the subtext of these tedious arguments is that either black people are lazy, or black people are stupid. If everyone has an equal chance to succeed if they put in the work, either black people don't work hard enough or they do work hard enough and they simply aren't good enough - or you don't believe those things and your argument is simply completely incoherent on its face in its inability to explain those disparities. There is no doubt that skin color correlates strongly with likely outcome in life. There are studies on this subject, many of them. How can you explain it without structural discrimination?
For instance on a related, very shocking discrimination note, there was a case where this black neighborhood was awarded a few million because the city had built their water system strategically around their neighborhood. That was 2008.

I guess they're doing it to themselves, why would they want luxuries like running water?

And by the way just so we're clear, minorities are not the only population discriminated against, the system is HEAVILY stacked against poor people in general, women are discriminated against. The problem is not exclusively class, however.

Would you not agree that there has been a systemic subjugation, by a society set up by white people, of the black community? The empirical data doesn't lie.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Successful restaurateur Eddie Huang has this retort where he tells people to please stop using asians vs blacks.

1) Asians were never enslaved ... besides internment camps. Let's just get that out of the way, unpack that on your own time, you don't need me for that.

2) Asians have history. Many of us can trace our families back to China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Sanrio, etc. and we're connected. SLAVERY BROKE THE BRIDGE TO HISTORY. Imagine living without knowing your history, your language, your culture, and YOUR FAMILY. Through SLAVERY, blacks were torn from their families, their homes, their countries, and forced to create new ones. Even when they did start new ones in America, they were still torn apart, re-sold, and forced back down to zero.
Are you seriously trying to insinuate that black Americans don't have a unique culture? Because that's simply not true. Australia is a nation built upon convicts and migrants, the majority of Australians have no idea what their roots are outside of Australia. Why is it that these problems don't exist here? Also, everyone alive today is at least 3 generations out from slavery. How would other migrant families have it any different than African Americans?

Shaazzyam said:
Is this the "black people are their own worst enemy argument"? In seriousness, the subtext of these tedious arguments is that either black people are lazy, or black people are stupid. If everyone has an equal chance to succeed if they put in the work, either black people don't work hard enough or they do work hard enough and they simply aren't good enough - or you don't believe those things and your argument is simply completely incoherent on its face in its inability to explain those disparities. There is no doubt that skin color correlates strongly with likely outcome in life. There are studies on this subject, many of them. How can you explain it without structural discrimination?
Yeah, no that wasn't my argument at all. I talked about deep seated cultural values preventing them from succeeding. Are you going to deny the serious gang problem that exists within African American communities? Are you going to deny the much higher domestic abuse rates? The significantly higher rates of violent crime? The culture of anti-intellectualism discouraging proper use of grammar and correct elocution? Is this all due to white structural discrimination in the current era?

Why is it that black graduates from prestigious law schools, who receive the exact same education as their non-black counterparts on average fail the Bar exam with a greater frequency than everyone else, even when stratified by class? Are you telling me that in a completely blind test of merit in which both parties are of the same wealth and education, differing only by class, 'white privilege' is what is preventing them from succeeding? And before you say in saying that black students lack the capability to succeed or that they're lazy, no that's not what I'm saying. There exist serious problems within African American communities that need to be addressed. These may have originated from the actions of the white settlers, but they are not perpetuated by 'systemic oppression' in today's society. To argue otherwise goes against empirical data.

Shaazzyam said:
And by the way just so we're clear, minorities are not the only population discriminated against, the system is HEAVILY stacked against poor people in general, women are discriminated against
I agree completely, class discrimination is a real thing. Black people make up a disproportionate amount of the lower class so this appears to be racism. That was how I started off my first post. However since you have opened the door, I'd like to point out that I don't think it's evident that women are discriminated against, at least not in employment and education. I would also like to pose a question, "What legal basis is there for discrimination against blacks, women and other minorities?"

As far as I'm aware, the only legal discrimination is against LGBT as one can claim it conflicts with religious views.

Last edited:
I was never brought up as a Christian or anything and my own views on things have lead me to believe that there's isn't an all powerful being that in charge of everything. However, I do believe there is a power far beyond us that does influence our lives. I like to think that power is the universe itself. The way I see it, the universe is in charge of everything and could change all our lives drastically if it so desired. Like, at any moment it could wipe us all out, or give us something that could be the greatest thing to ever happen to humankind. I guess that makes me agnostic? I dunno. I wonder if anyone else here feels the same way.

My beliefs on religion have changed quite honestly for the better over the past few years. I used to be that edgy metalhead kid that would bash on religion whenever I had the chance. But I, you know, grew the fuck up, so yeah. Sure, I still despise extremists that force their beliefs down our throats, but I now have no problem with someone believing in a higher power if that helps them get through life. For all the bad we see from it in today's day and age, I actually love that religion has that power to motivate someone in that positive way.

haketh

Noob
Are you seriously trying to insinuate that black Americans don't have a unique culture? Because that's simply not true. Australia is a nation built upon convicts and migrants, the majority of Australians have no idea what their roots are outside of Australia. Why is it that these problems don't exist here? Also, everyone alive today is at least 3 generations out from slavery. How would other migrant families have it any different than African Americans?
It's only been 54 years of not being fucked over and treated like second class group of people overtly by the Government, we only got the right to vote & full rights as citizens 54 years ago & even after that we still had to go through things like the war on drugs started & spread by the Reagan administration & things like the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments. We're a people were treated as completely subhuman & it was seen as legal for hundreds of years, it takes more than a generation to fix these things. And this is just me talking about only the overt stuff the Goverment has done to us & not even going into things like most schools in predominately black neighborhoods being over populated & under funded.

"If everyone else could move upwards socially, so can blacks. They are just dumb."

"This comparison ignores the unique history of discrimination against Black people in America. Over the past four centuries, Black history has included nearly 250 years of slavery, 100 years of legalized discrimination, and only 50 years of anything else. Jews and Asians, on the other hand, are populations that immigrated to North America and included doctors, lawyers, professors, and entrepreneurs among their ranks. Moreover, European Jews are able to function as part of the White majority. To expect Blacks to show the same upward mobility as Jews and Asians is to deny the historical and social reality that Black people face."

Shaazzyam

Reading your arguements, it's like watching a lightsaber batting away laser blasts

What exactly is your point? Why are you trying to derail the topic with situations with Australians and other countries that aren't remotely comparable to the black experience in the United States of America? Like, what? I don't know how I can be any clearer without sounding condescending.
Yeah, no that wasn't my argument at all. I talked about deep seated cultural values preventing them from succeeding. Are you going to deny the serious gang problem that exists within African American communities? Are you going to deny the much higher domestic abuse rates? The significantly higher rates of violent crime? The culture of anti-intellectualism discouraging proper use of grammar and correct elocution? Is this all due to white structural discrimination in the current era?

Why is it that black graduates from prestigious law schools, who receive the exact same education as their non-black counterparts on average fail the Bar exam with a greater frequency than everyone else, even when stratified by class? Are you telling me that in a completely blind test of merit in which both parties are of the same wealth and education, differing only by class, 'white privilege' is what is preventing them from succeeding? And before you say in saying that black students lack the capability to succeed or that they're lazy, no that's not what I'm saying. There exist serious problems within African American communities that need to be addressed. These may have originated from the actions of the white settlers, but they are not perpetuated by 'systemic oppression' in today's society. To argue otherwise goes against empirical data.
There was a couple of people in another thread who tried to assert these misconceptions of the black community, too. You know, this still has nothing to do with white privilege but, okay, I'll bite. Show me these supposed statistics so I can tear them down again.

Look, the only cogent and correct response to emphasize is the tremendous impact of wealth as privilege on an individual level as a societal factor granting privilege in addition to whiteness. At all wealth levels, whiteness affords benefits to comparable persons who are not white. Across classes, though, wealth often supercedes in terms of overall impact on life in terms of what money grants access to and also in terms of what a person is exposed to: schools, networking, colleges, general access to higher rungs of society.

The black son of two black lawyers will have many advantages over the white son of a laborer and stay at home mother who neither attended college or graduate school. White privilege in that comparison manifests itself in the odious racist assumptions made by police, for example. So it's still there and still awful, however there's other elements at play which warrant discussion as problems in society for people to overcome.
I agree completely, class discrimination is a real thing. Black people make up a disproportionate amount of the lower class so this appears to be racism. That was how I started off my first post. However since you have opened the door, I'd like to point out that I don't think it's evident that women are discriminated against, at least not in employment and education. I would also like to pose a question, "What legal basis is there for discrimination against blacks, women and other minorities?"
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Tell me, do these statistics just "appear to be racist":

You pretty much have to arrive at one of two conclusions. Either black people have some sort of biological need to get arrested and punished more by schools, police, and the legal system, or something is targeting them.

These stats create a picture as vivid and explicit as this famous one necessitating change.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
"If everyone else could move upwards socially, so can blacks. They are just dumb."
Now I just know you're being facetious since I never called or even insinuated that blacks were stupid. I admitted that their problems are rooted in deep, pervasive cultural norms in the black community as well as their high occupation of the lower classes. Where I draw the line however, is when others claim that these are being actively propagated by white people, as if we're one contingent race actively trying to keep blacks down.

Reading your arguements, it's like watching a lightsaber batting away laser blasts

What exactly is your point? Why are you trying to derail the topic with situations with Australians and other countries that aren't remotely comparable to the black experience in the United States of America? Like, what? I don't know how I can be any clearer without sounding condescending.

There was a couple of people in another thread who tried to assert these misconceptions of the black community, too. You know, this still has nothing to do with white privilege but, okay, I'll bite. Show me these supposed statistics so I can tear them down again.

Look, the only cogent and correct response to emphasize is the tremendous impact of wealth as privilege on an individual level as a societal factor granting privilege in addition to whiteness. At all wealth levels, whiteness affords benefits to comparable persons who are not white. Across classes, though, wealth often supercedes in terms of overall impact on life in terms of what money grants access to and also in terms of what a person is exposed to: schools, networking, colleges, general access to higher rungs of society.

The black son of two black lawyers will have many advantages over the white son of a laborer and stay at home mother who neither attended college or graduate school. White privilege in that comparison manifests itself in the odious racist assumptions made by police, for example. So it's still there and still awful, however there's other elements at play which warrant discussion as problems in society for people to overcome.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. Tell me, do these statistics just "appear to be racist":

You pretty much have to arrive at one of two conclusions. Either black people have some sort of biological need to get arrested and punished more by schools, police, and the legal system, or something is targeting them.

These stats create a picture as vivid and explicit as this famous one necessitating change.

Ok, how the fuck am I derailing by talking about Australia? I've said from the outset that I don't know shit about America and have been referring to Australia, bringing in American examples to help you understand. White privilege may exist in America but the way it is taught and applied is ridiculous! Does the white person living in Japan facing constant documented discrimination in housing and employment have white privilege? Does the Jew living in Palestine have white privilege? Does the pale faced Arab living in Vietnam have white privilege?

Also, cause you asked,

http://www.franks.org/fr01177.htm

Last edited:

Shaazzyam

I specifically said the United States of America. Talking about immigrants in other countries has nothing to do with white privilege and institutionalized racism. It has even less to do with how these things effect black Americans. Even then, you're completely ignoring stats and data not to understand that privilege is definitely real.

In the eyes of whites, minorities are not created equal. And then going by your "look at asian immigrants" poin at its roots boils down to "Asians arent lazy complainers! See I told you blacks were no good!" You may not meant to come off that way but that's what it sounds like. Don't compare them, it doesn't work like that.

White privilege may exist in America but the way it is taught and applied is ridiculous!
Haha, your're right, but prob not in the way you think.

The irony is your points, the very same tired arguments white privilege deniers spout, is what happens when American public education suggest that "real racism" ended with the Civil Rights Movement. Pretty much the way racism in America is taught in public schools is that the Civil Rights movement and the Civil Rights Acts in the '60s ended racism. The picture painted is that there has not been any institutional or widespread racism in America since then, and everyone has been on equal footing for 50 years now. Any racism today is just a few bad apples/individuals saying some mean things that don't have any real impact. In fact history class in general pretty much ends after the '60s, with the footnote that Reagan beat the soviets at the end of the '80s. Casual racism is as strong as ever, and combining that with a nonsensical "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" displayed here... that mentality does not bode well for the future of race relations in this country. That's the narrative myself and countless others grew up being taught in school, and it wasn't until I started frequently using the internet that I realized how ignorant it is.

At the end of the day, the idea that with hard work, an education, etc., anyone can make it, regardless of race is not true in America.

Last edited:
I forgot to say this earlier but, you are all welcome for this thread . I was banned for your sins so you could all have this thread and discuss religion without the fear of damnation from the mods. Just wanted to give myself props :p .

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I forgot to say this earlier but, you are all welcome for this thread . I was banned for your sins so you could all have this thread and discuss religion without the fear of damnation from the mods. Just wanted to give myself props :p .
No, you were banned because you requested to be banned. They wouldn't have banned you if you didn't repeatedly say "ban me"

Shaazzyam

The wealthy top 0.01% are about to surpass the combined wealth of the bottom 90%.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/11/daily-chart-2?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/somearemoreequalthanothers

"A NEW paper by Emmanuel Saez of the University of California, Berkeley, and Gabriel Zucman of the London School of Economics suggests that, in America at least, inequality in wealth is approaching record levels. The authors examine the share of total wealth held by the bottom 90% of families relative to those at the very top. In the late 1920s the bottom 90% held just 16% of America’s wealth—considerably less than that held by the top 0.1%, which controlled a quarter of total wealth just before the crash of 1929. From the beginning of the Depression until well after the end of the second world war, the middle class’s share of total wealth rose steadily, thanks to collapsing wealth among richer households, broader equity ownership, middle-class income growth and rising rates of home-ownership. From the early 1980s, however, these trends have reversed. The top 0.1% (consisting of 160,000 families worth $73m on average) hold 22% of America’s wealth, just shy of the 1929 peak—and almost the same share as the bottom 90% of the population."

What do you even do with that kind of money? This country is super fucked with it's unequal distribution of wealth.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
The wealthy top 0.01% are about to surpass the combined wealth of the bottom 90%.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/11/daily-chart-2?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/somearemoreequalthanothers

"A NEW paper by Emmanuel Saez of the University of California, Berkeley, and Gabriel Zucman of the London School of Economics suggests that, in America at least, inequality in wealth is approaching record levels. The authors examine the share of total wealth held by the bottom 90% of families relative to those at the very top. In the late 1920s the bottom 90% held just 16% of America’s wealth—considerably less than that held by the top 0.1%, which controlled a quarter of total wealth just before the crash of 1929. From the beginning of the Depression until well after the end of the second world war, the middle class’s share of total wealth rose steadily, thanks to collapsing wealth among richer households, broader equity ownership, middle-class income growth and rising rates of home-ownership. From the early 1980s, however, these trends have reversed. The top 0.1% (consisting of 160,000 families worth $73m on average) hold 22% of America’s wealth, just shy of the 1929 peak—and almost the same share as the bottom 90% of the population."

What do you even do with that kind of money? This country is super fucked with it's unequal distribution of wealth.
Agreed. I think restructuring of the tax code, removal of loop holes (negative gearing) and a shift in policy thinking ('trickle down economics' is bullshit) is necessary.

Last edited:

Shaazzyam

Agreed. I think restructuring of the tax code, removal of loop holes and a shift in thinking ('trickle down economics' is bullshit) is necessary.
No, see, I think they meant the wealth of the 90% has trickled down to the bottom .1%. Get it now, breh?

The problem with taxing the hyper-rich is their money is already lined in our politician's pockets. And there's big money in politics. You take the amount of time that politicians have to spend fundraising(which takes away time from legislating and governing), and you give the power to affluent individuals and entities to buy politicians for favors. Politicians cannot represent the majority when funding from the wealthy is essential to winning elections.

Wealth inequality cannot improve unless something drastic to happen. But average people don't care unless it affects them directly or are too busy struggling to get by to worry about things like this anyway.