What's new

Battle Arena Quarter Finals Winners Announced, Gameplay Footage is LIVE!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
How is that different from if I picked Sheeva (with nothing) and you picked Kung Lao (with everything) ?
Because Sheeva has whatever tools she has.. It's not about who starts on which side or who happens to be closer to a random object at the moment. At character select you know exactly what you have going in.

Again, I think it'll be super fun for casuals -- but at a high level, is another story.

hellbly

Noob
Because Sheeva has whatever tools she has.. It's not about who starts on which side or who happens to be closer to a random object at the moment. At character select you know exactly what you have going in.

Again, I think it'll be super fun for casuals -- but at a high level, is another story.
I think it can add a lot of tactical elements to high level gameplay: you'll have to think where you are and your opponent, where your opponent will be after a combo, etc etc

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Green Lantern looks awesome imo. Great combo potential and an interesting style.. I'll def. add him to the list of characters I explore on Day 1.

I don't even think you can make comments on high level, I'm just going to leave it at that. You don't even know how the game will play, so you can't even make that claim.

My stance is that community should try it's best and find a way to integrate it first and foremost instead of looking at a way to just leave it out.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I don't even think you can make comments on high level, I'm just going to leave it at that. You don't even know how the game will play, so you can't even make that claim.

My stance is that community should try it's best and find a way to integrate it first and foremost instead of looking at a way to just leave it out.
It's an educated guess, nothing more -- and it's realistic based on how things have gone in the past with player sentiment over random advantages. But I won't be mad either way; I just don't think people shouldn't become emotionally attached to them, or they'll be hurt if people decide not to use them.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Batman looks godlike. I don't know, I'm still not really impressed at all by Green Lantern's gameplay. It feels like a noob is playing him lmfao. The Aquaman player should have won that one.

I get the impression that it's some online random playing Green Lantern lol.
They are exhibition matches. Its scripted, they only show what NRS wants them to.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Three things game to mind:

1) That stage transition in Batman vs. Wonder Woman is way too long.

2) Between the fight vs. Sinestro and this one vs. Green Arrow I'm beginning to think Superman's character trait is the ability to be incredibly boring at all possible times. It's like they're going out of their way to make his fights as non-entertaining as they could possibly be. It kind of worries me that he really doesn't have anything more in his arsenal other than that combo ending in heatvision we saw over and over and over and over and over again in those videos that came before this promo stuff.

3) HOLY SHIT, Flash beat Joker? Didn't see that coming. Even a little. I thought Joker would be way more popular.

I don't, because if you happen to be closer to a car than me, you get to hit me with it (with a gigantic car-sized hitbox) and I get nothing.
This is why fighting game players invest time into learning spacing. The stage hazards are pretty cool, adds a dimension to spacing in this game beyond "LOL push the other guy to the wall LOL" which every 2D fighter ever made up to this point has sorely lacked.

It's the stage transitions that are already old and boring. I can't help but roll my eyes every time I see one start-up now. I'd be less sick of them if non-super strength characters had a different way of facilitating them rather than "HAHA I MAGICALLY BECAME A DRAGONBALL Z CHARACTER FOR THIS ONE MOVE."

Anyway, I'd LOL so hard if Flash pulled the same upset in the semis here and beat Batman just to see NRS have their whole world fucked up.

Zoidberg747

I am waiting for the usual bus of complainers to stop off at this thread :D

Karried I do think that the stage interactions look cool, but as far as high level play, once you've seen them or been chipped out by them for the 1000th time, I think a lot of people will appreciate the option to toggle them on/off.
I think they could add to competitive play. Think about how much it would help players to have 10 or so seconds to compose themselves or develop a strategy in the middle of the match. I for one will be fighting to keep them legal.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
It's just an expanded and more personalized version of SC Ringouts and Tekken/DOA hazards. Plenty of games involve environmental hazards and part of the strategy lies in positioning yourself to best make use of these things.

We don't know enough about their damage or frame data to really even determine whether many are genuinely useful, and the idea of having access to different tools as you traverse the stage promotes far more strategy than it does dumb luck; especially because there do not seem to be many that actually start combos. Almost all of them grant movement, a single hit or extend combos. This isn't gamebreaking stuff.

The environment appears to allow for players to supplement their weakspots through strategic positioning. I do sincerely hope that people go into this system with an open mind because I see high level play being as hype as Rush Hour. Rush Hour is hype because of how Jackie Chan utilizes his surroundings to maximize his combat potential.

With Injustice, I think it'll promote much deeper thinking as now spacing, combos, setups and hitconfirms must be immediately analyzed and accounted for based not only on your proximity to the opponent or corners, but also based on environmental objects. Your strategies will have to fluidly evolve based on your matchup, stage and the availability of certain hazards. Overall, when I look at everything it could potentially bring to competitive play it far outweighs the few concerns I have with the system. I think it's great. I don't mean to sound pushy or argumentative, I just really think this is a system that will help give Injustice its own unique gameplay identity and serve as the foundation for what could be an amazing metagame.

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
It's just an expanded and more personalized version of SC Ringouts and Tekken/DOA hazards. Plenty of games involve environmental hazards and part of the strategy lies in positioning yourself to best make use of these things.

We don't know enough about their damage or frame data to really even determine whether many are genuinely useful, and the idea of having access to different tools as you traverse the stage promotes far more strategy than it does dumb luck; especially because there do not seem to be many that actually start combos. Almost all of them grant movement, a single hit or extend combos. This isn't gamebreaking stuff.

The environment appears to allow for players to supplement their weakspots through strategic positioning. I do sincerely hope that people go into this system with an open mind because I see high level play being as hype as Rush Hour. Rush Hour is hype because of how Jackie Chan utilizes his surroundings to maximize his combat potential.

With Injustice, I think it'll promote much deeper thinking as now spacing, combos, setups and hitconfirms must be analyzed based on not only your proximity to the opponent or corners, but also based on environmental objects. Your strategies will have to fluidly evolve based on your matchup, stage and the availability of certain hazards. Overall, when I look at everything it could potentially bring to competitive play it far outweighs the few concerns I have with the system. I think it's great. I don't mean to sound pushy or argumentative, I just really think this is a system that will help give Injustice its own unique gameplay identity and serve as the foundation for what could be an amazing metagame.
You gotta understand that some people are not mentally quick enough to handle complexity. It comes back to the whole walking and chewing gum thing. Some people simply cannot be bothered with keeping multiple things in mind during a fight....

BlackCyborg

I am Arkham
Anyway, I'd LOL so hard if Flash pulled the same upset in the semis here and beat Batman just to see NRS have their whole world fucked up.
I don't think they care THAT much who wins...lol The only people that care THAT much are the negative Nancys on here always looking for something to whine about. The winner receives nothing, it's just for fun to show off gameplay...don't see how Batman losing changes anything.

Zoidberg747

It's not... He just fears change. He would have been one of the people arguing against the emancipation proclamation.
Overkill lol

Anyone that fears change is going to hate this game. It looks nothing like any other FG. Clashes, interactive stages, stage transitions all combined? The only one of those I see being used in competitive play is the stage transition because like I said above, it could give you a key moment to compose yourself. The clash looks like it isnt worth the meter, and the stage transitions look pretty punishable.

But that is all speculation, we will just have to wait and see how it all works when it comes out.