What's new

Battle Arena Quarter Finals Winners Announced, Gameplay Footage is LIVE!

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
At 1:36 Flash has as a high string that leads into a repeated low kick which he then proceeds to continue into a flashy knockup slowed down time combo. Now we gotta see if that leads into an overhead and if the string is safe on block.

That superman win pose is pretty godlike.

GL still looks boring unfortunately, his alt is a bit too bulky imo as well. The batman vs WW and Flash vs Joker were the best fights in term of gameplay for sure. I liked jokers toy teeth trap and seeing some better use of Flashes slowdown(or speed up dependent on how you view it) mid combo was nice. I hope these are all free alts within the game, definitely going to use that Flash and Superman one.

ninjay

Noob
I think they could add to competitive play. Think about how much it would help players to have 10 or so seconds to compose themselves or develop a strategy in the middle of the match. I for one will be fighting to keep them legal.
I originally hated the idea of the stage transitioning. Now I am starting to warm up to them.

Right now, I only like them for the damage and position reset. ATM it seems that learning to use them will be vital in a tournament setting to conserve meter.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's just an expanded and more personalized version of SC Ringouts and Tekken/DOA hazards. Plenty of games involve environmental hazards and part of the strategy lies in positioning yourself to best make use of these things.
Are there any ringouts or stage hazards that follow you across the stage, though? Having played a good deal of SC, a ring out is a different beast from giant projectiles and things of that nature.

I think if you're going to make a comparison, Smash Bros would be more accurate. And after a lot of experience with the game, there were a lot of things that were turned off in competitive play due to random advantages. At the end of the day, players wanted to focus on fundamentals and core gameplay rather than dodging random items.

Either way, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Arrow vs Superman was a huge letdown. Everybody knew he was going to lose but there wasn't much gameplay to take away from the fight. It also would've been cool if Arrow had different dialogue for his alt because it didn't seem to fit.

Joker looked better to me this time around, Batman looking awesome like always, and Aquaman with that Jade staff slam :D

You gotta understand that some people are not mentally quick enough to handle complexity. It comes back to the whole walking and chewing gum thing. Some people simply cannot be bothered with keeping multiple things in mind during a fight....
Those people probably shouldn't be playing competitively.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.

Called 3 out of 4 and all I have to say on the one I missed was Tower of Babel makes my common sense cry in this case. Moving on I just wanted to say something important about my own matchup...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

I'm still alive babay! How you like that plan TYM!?!?!
Oh Green Arrow is gonna lose...Oh Green Arrow is gonna die...
I CALLED IN A BODY DOUBLE!
What me take an ass whoopin from the man of steel? NO WAY! Old GA ain't risking his mustache on a losing bet like that one. I just called up Stephen Amell and wall all like "Heeeeeeey buddy. How would YOU like to be in a video game? I'll even let you stand in for me this week in the trailers." ...and then BOOM! I sat back drinking Appletini's ( screw you they are tasty....a MAN'S drink) and watched the carnage from a safe distance.

Suck it haters! Green Arrow lives! Stephen Amell is likely gonna be a bit slow this week on the CW after kneeling before Zodd...er...Superman, but old Ollie Queen is still kicking it large in the Arrow Cave er...Quiver! I'm gonna go twirl my mustache and practice my evil laugh for Harley. (soon as I can walk...I can't hold my appletinis...)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Are there any ringouts or stage hazards that follow you across the stage, though? Having played a good deal of SC, a ring out is a different beast from projectiles and things of that nature.

I think if you're going to make a comparison, Smash Bros would be more accurate. And after a lot of experience with the game, there were a lot of things that were turned off in competitive play due to random advantages.

Either way, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Yeah actually there were breakable walls on different stages, which was like a stage transition except you LOST THE ROUND. At least with this you just get damaged a bit. As for Smash Bros, that is a completely baseless comparison because what you are talking about is items, which are literally random every time. These stage transitions are always going to be in the same spot, which forces the player to act accordingly.

These are much better than ringouts because even if someone hits you with one, the worst they can do is damage you. In SCV if you got got in a combo(Or the viola infinite) you could have possibly lost the round due to a ringout.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yeah actually there were breakable walls on different stages, which was like a stage transition except you LOST THE ROUND. At least with this you just get damaged a bit. As for Smash Bros, that is a completely baseless comparison because what you are talking about is items, which are literally random every time. These stage transitions are always going to be in the same spot, which forces the player to act accordingly.
The only way to make it not random, would be to have players take turns starting on P1 or P2 side. Other than that, you can be handed a disadvantage simply by which controller slot you happen to be in, which is similar to picking up an item you happen to be closer to.

It's a lot easier to control your position in a game where you can sidestep in 3d -- 3d games make fairly bad comparisons. And infinites are broken no matter the game.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
The stage interactions are not randomly generated though. The stages are set up in such a way that you'll have to evaluate the positioning of your character, the matchup against the person you're fighting, as well as the environment in which you are fighting in. It makes you have to not only learn your character, the opponent matchup, but the stage you're in as well.

It does indeed have that Rush Hour/Jackie Chan vibe to it. Personally, I love it, and I think it will add to the metagame for sure.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Deadshot in the background of the Flash Joker fight :D
and that Superman GA fight was dumb lol we didnt see anything from either of them
Batman doe

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Are there any ringouts or stage hazards that follow you across the stage though? To me a ring out is a different beast from projectiles and things of that nature.
What do you mean by follow? Most of the environmental hazards in Injustice appear to remain stationary in that the area from which you must interact with them does not change. This creates a lot of predictability and consistency so composing strategies based on spacing is less reliant on luck. You can account for them quite easily.

If you're speaking purely of functionality, like how a projectile can be thrown across a stage unlike a ringout; a single projectile in a game with teleports, airdashes and other ridiculous abilities is far less damning than the most classic of all stage hazards: the corner. Same with Tekken walls or SC Ringouts, which straight up end the match.

A projectile, when several characters have some off of which they can begin combos, isn't the kind of thing I'd be worried about, especially when you know exactly where and when it spawns; however, I love that it gives characters without projectiles a chance to return fire in certain situations. Most of these appear to become unavailable after a single use anyway.

I think if you're going to make a comparison, Smash Bros would be more accurate. And after a lot of experience with the game, there were a lot of things that were turned off in competitive play due to random advantages. At the end of the day, players wanted to focus on fundamentals and core gameplay rather than dodging random items.
I understand this misconception. As a long time Melee veteran, let me clarify the fundamental difference between most bad Smash hazards and Injustice hazards.

In Smash, the worst hazards happen to you regardless of anything you've done in the match. You can get shot with a laser, sucked up by a tornado, or in the case of items, have a full heal spawn right next to you. Nothing you have done makes any impact on this, you are left as a reactive force trying to simply survive the environment.

In Injustice you must seek out and utilize the environment on your own account, casting you as a proactive force. Stuff wont just fall on you out of nowhere in Injustice; you must strategically position yourself in order to use it and find an opening. Like ringouts in SC, the ring never creeps up behind you randomly and sends you tumbling off. If you end up near the edge of a stage it's based on your own poor footwork.

This is why other hazards in Smash, like platforms, aren't banned. Inherently platforms don't do anything to you but they dramatically impact the players' combat mentality because of how platforms supplement mobility, combos and traps. I hope this clears things up, we spoke a lot about this on early episodes of InjusticeLive and it's actually a fantastic discussion point.

SLy

Noob
Im surprised they let Batman beat Wonder Woman though.

I just hope there is a lot more to her than that.. Ive only seen one string off of her sword stance.
And her Ex lasso grab is weird lol.. She just pulls you torwards her and just lets him go..

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
What do you mean by follow?
Throwing dumpsters, shooting missles, anything that moves toward the opponent. Non-stationary.

In smash, there were stage bans and item bans. I made the comparision to items specifically, becauase whoever can get there first can pick them up. I understand your point about tornadoes and the like, but that has little to do with the item issue.

I'm not a Tekken player: but in Soul Calibur (and in VF before that) the fact that you rotate in 3d along a plane completely changes the nature of being backed into a ringout. There is no 'side'.. It's only where you happen to be at the moment. Whereas in a 2d game, you're locked into a fixed axis. It's completely different, and a bad comparison imo.

But like I said, only time will tell. I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Im surprised they let Batman beat Wonder Woman though.

I just hope there is a lot more to her than that.. Ive only seen one string off of her sword stance.
And her Ex lasso grab is weird lol.. She just pulls you torwards her and just lets him go..
Well, the characters it auto-voted for me won.

No surprise there.

Jack White

The Clown Prince of Crime
Geez, what a brutal beat down Joker didn't get time to show his full arsenal and all we see is Flash's same boring move set AGAIN. Me being a true Joker fan, I shall main him despite the fact that he's a zoner which I love anyways.