What's new

Bad Match ups, making then winnable

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
This thread is to discuss Kl's bad matchups and design strategies to overcome them.
IMO His worst matchups are Sonya, Cage, Kitana, possibly Cyrax and Sektor. Discuss

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Lets just say Cage does his f33 string and i block it. Can i spin the following f3?

and dont steal my sig! xP

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
yes, unless you get his random block advantage crap.

I'd say Jax is a bad matchup too.
there is no random adv crap tht only happens with fwd 3 and its only when u try to jump out, which is a semi bad idea anyway. fwd33 is neg4 so u could spin it, but a safer option would be ur standing 2 which is 1 frame slower but 21 on block is safe unlike spin. just fwd3 is neutral so u could inturrpt the next 1on read. and the whole string fwd33b3 is nneutral but gives space so u can footsies out

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
there is no random adv crap tht only happens with fwd 3 and its only when u try to jump out, which is a semi bad idea anyway. fwd33 is neg4 so u could spin it, but a safer option would be ur standing 2 which is 1 frame slower but 21 on block is safe unlike spin. just fwd3 is neutral so u could inturrpt the next 1on read. and the whole string fwd33b3 is nneutral but gives space so u can footsies out
even when it gave me seizures in my 10 tries to read this, it was actually worth it.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
His worst matchups are Sonya, Cage, Kitana, possibly Cyrax and Sektor. Discuss
Jax being one too? Watched Tyrant and CD Jr dominate Kung Lao effortlessly.

Who is the worst MU for Kung Lao? I think by nature it's Kitana (full air control).

Skitzo

Noob
Cage is probably 5-5. Jax is 4.5-5.5 Lao. Id say Sonya & Kitana are probably his only 4-6's. I've heard in streams Lao > Cyrax.

Lets just say Cage does his f33 string and i block it. Can i spin the following f3?

and dont steal my sig! xP
Do you mean interrupt the string with spin between the F3 and the hits from the second 3? Because if that is what you mean then no I don't think so.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
spin cant punish F33 it's -4 spin is 6f cage just has to block or armor out. If u read cage is gona F3, F3 you can 21 spin in between.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
How can the shaolin defeat kitana? cutter can be ducked then 21 spin punished and wakeup ex cutter can be punished the same way any other ideas are welcomed lol

oBryant

Noob
Kabal: Against IAFBs I like to teleport. Always seems to work for me. Enh teleports are good too. Just try not to do them like a retard. You have to get it on reaction. Fast enough to not get hit by a FB and punish. Do it a couple times and they will most likely stop. His dash block strings are really hard to get out of. but not impossible. Laos cr.2 can sneak in through some of his dash strings but its very risky. If you ever find yourself (which you will) in a FB war with kabal, laos roll is ver usefull. Use it within range of kabal to get in nice and quick. A lot of KL's like to do low hat after the roll, I find that cr,1 usually stops anything and is VERY safe on block. If they try and jump out they will be juggled much like scorpions cr.1 > spear combo. Except with lao you can do 2 4 and so on w/e combo you want. If they block you can just do some block strings to get him to either let go of block or try and jump. One of KL's best block strings (IMO) after the roll is cr.1 cr.2 cr.4 low hat. on hit the hat makes him stager back far enough to do a f.3 (overhead) on block you are pretty much far enough for it to be safe cause the d.4 pushes them far enough for you to recover from the hat safely. so just block if your hat is blocked.. Also, using his divekick>roll >spin combo is ok, but not for damage, more like a momentum combo to keep you on your feet and keep the opponent guessing. My favorite combo to do is 112>spin>enh hat>jk>dive kick>dash 1>2 4 1+2 3. Does 39% and is so easy to do. off of a teleport 2 its does 47% mid screen. This is all I can think of to do against Kabal for now. Ill see you all at CEO and online XBL tag Kabookie Joe

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
It's starting to become clear that everything Kl does or has to do all comes down to spin which is a risk not always worth it. He gets 33% the most off a naked spin and against a character like kitana your gona lose 50.

cyrax is not bad imo and kitana needs to use meter for 50 percent combos if i recall. kung lao can use meter to reach around 40.

the characters with a low hitbox and armour are what give lao trouble. fast instant air fireballs can keep him away for a bit but shouldnt give him too much trouble.

gdf

Noob
Cyrax isn't actually a horrible match-up. Just learn how to fight Cyrax's basic stuff, and you'll be fine.

Kitana, I do believe is 6-4. Because to get that W, it is an uphill battle.

I don't know too much about Jax to make a good decision on him.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
The jax matchup is weird he cant use his best string F4 cause u can 21 spin in between it u can dive kick ground pound cancels, and with out jailing all his string whiff on a crouching KL but KL cant hit jax either without poking or jumping in.

oBryant

Noob
Off of a naked spin I believe Kung lao can set up for multiple screen position advantages.. Off a naked spin you jump towards hit instant teleport 3 dash 2 Enh hat> ect ect. If you use a jump punch into a instant teleport after the naked spin then you will teleport on the opposite side of your opponent. if you use a kick then you will teleport in front of them.. that being said. if you get a naked spin and you are in the corner you can jp teleport 3 dash (your opponent will end up in the corner now) and continue a combo. Kung laos teleport should only ever be used in a combo or to punish projectile/whiffed attacks. If you block someones move that leaves them in a juggle/punish state you can easily get %50 midscreen (or close to) if you can Teleport on reaction. I love to use his Enh teleport after blocked strings like 1121 enh teleport > continue pressure. I dont know what it is that I do but if I only have 2 meeters and I use a enhanced teleport from a block string and do another block string and my meeter is back to 2 (as if I never used it). My favorite combo to do to people is 112 spin enh hat suj.k teleport 3 jk.divekick st.3 enh hat jk.enh divekick 2 4 1+3 2.. 58%... very hard but if you area baller like me you can pull it off. 3 meeter combos? or.. spirit crushing combo that leaves the opponent with a dropped jaw and a nack to play street fighter lol.