What's new

Question ask stryker thread

Reptile's dash doesn't have armor. The only time I would try to stuff it is during Reptile's wake up with a meaty 3. Try that and tell me how that works for you. :)

Other than that, it's better to just block it and punish with 1, 1 xx roll toss

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
RRRRGGGHHHH!!!! I freaking hate the way NRS designed some of stryker's moves. I freaking hate some of KL normals. How the hell KL's F3 beat my EN Roll Toss (shoot even the regular one). Both moves hit high and yet KL's normal got priority over stryker's special. sigh im done venting now but what I just went through was an EPIC BS.

EDIT: The guy is a freaking rushing machine and the only move that i can rely on to get out of pressure is getting beat by a FREAKING NORMAL..RRRRGHGHGH damn this game can be so frustrating at time.

Anyway, I went in the lab to find a way to deal with it. So far KL F3 seems safe on block. The mind game that i went through today was F3 followed by D3, grab, combo string and most annoying spin. I tried to count with D3, D4, even D2. When they become successful, the opponent start to mix it up with spins. The only way to deal with KL F3 is stuff it on reaction (sigh).

So far I discovered that the following moves will stuff it:
- Standing 3. Problem with that is the recovery on that move. I can eat a full combo if i start throwing it out there willy nilly.
- Standing 4. Seems to be my best option right now. The only problem with that is that I will need to put on my jedi costume on to do a gun cancel afterwards.

I will continue to do additional testing. If you guys know a better way to deal with it, feel free to share

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
If you guncancel into stance switch block after successful zoning block by kung lao I usually get a free uppercuts all day.

Ex-Sweep beats spin and spin wake up.

Back 2, back 4 on wake up against a cornered kung lao can meaty if you time it but if you do that you may as well take a full wall combo.

Guncancel stance switch baits dive kicks too.

Also jumping over hats and keeping zoning advantage works vs Kung but good kung laos will respect Strykers superior zoning so punish teleports even on wake up with psychic gunshots and throw grenades pre-emptively against hat throw attempts (epically and even more so when they buff it in the patch)

Most importantly your X-Ray counters spin (all). So if Kung is spinning on you or in range for the flashlight do it!

Don't forget your block string and throws as well.

Always punish dive kicks, teleports and spins (if you have slow reactions on your terms standing 4 is suffient)

Kung Lao

Also, if you do block a dive kick, remember you can actually wait for Kung Lao to fall down on his feet and punish with a full B1, 2, 2 combo. He's still in recovery when he touches the ground.

Kung Lao's Teleport can be punished with D4 xx gun shot, dash xx 1, 2 xx roll toss (for a whooping 24%)

Don't uppercut the teleport. That's a wasted opportunity. Even 4 xx roll toss deals more damage than uppercut and is super easy to do on reaction.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Thanks guys. The thing is I do punish his dive kick with B3,2 but he always has enough meter to break from pressuring the hell out of me. I punish 95% of his teleport with uppercut. I'm gonna go back in the lab an try you punish V. The opponent realized that and started abusing Kung lao's F3 (rolling move) to close the gap. The problem is that the F3 is safe on block. D3 and D4 prevents him from throwing me or continue with his pressure strings, but doing the spin afterwards can be a bit unpredictable. Yes I can punish the spin on block but that's like 3-4 out of 10 online. I'm guessing it's hard for me because I'm coming from crouch block. I tried to anticipate the F3 with roll toss and to my surprise it beat both regular and EN roll toss. F3 is annoying the hell out of me right at the moment

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I had some F3 problems yesterday too. I literally had to space him out at a distance beyond F3 before I could even consider pulling out the gun. Note that F3 does NOT immediately duck highs. It is vulnerable for the first few frames. So if you have sufficient advantage, you can hit him out of it with your 3. When you're at disadvantage, you got to respect the Lao. He's just too fast with his 2 and spin.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
On a less serious note, do you guys have any weird matchups. The weirdest for me is the stryker mirror lol. Since there are only 5 of us online I hardly run into another stryker player and when I do I can see why so many ppl have a hard time against him lol. He is kinda of a pain to deal with in the right hands :)

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
On a less serious note, do you guys have any weird matchups. The weirdest for me is the stryker mirror lol. Since there are only 5 of us online I hardly run into another stryker player and when I do I can see why so many ppl have a hard time against him lol. He is kinda of a pain to deal with in the right hands :)
My personal kryptonite MUs are Kung Lao, Ermac, Reptile and Liu kang. I hate those bastards. I can't say much on stryker mirror as I've only fought 2 since launch...LOL!

Kweli

Noob
I have problems with Kitanas that poke with their punch (its the very long fan poke)... Any jump attack is countered with her AA..
Im not sure how to get in on her and start a combo without it being interrupted?

I also have problems with gun cancel. It seems useless against anyone with fast moves (ie, ermac, smoke, teleporters, etc..)

I also have problems with gun cancel. It seems useless against anyone with fast moves (ie, ermac, smoke, teleporters, etc..)
That's why frame advantage is so important for Stryker.

I made a video about it a while ago but maybe it wasn't clear enough to understand. Basically, if you're going to use gun cancel tricks, ideally it should be when you have "speed advantage". If your opponent isn't doing anything and you take your gun out, chances are he'll just teleport or slide on reaction. BUT, if you knockdown your opponent, land a gun shot or reset your juggle then suddenly you have the opportunity to take your gun out before the opponent is even able to recover and respond with a wake up attack/reversal. Then you can use that to either zone, mixup, bait, mindfuck or whatever..

The most simple ways to set up safe gun cancels:

-After gun shot or grenade hits (if they block it you're in -frames).
-After ending combos with uppercut, standing 3 or standing 4.
-After Baton Sweep (gives more frame advantage than roll toss).
-After a successful throw.

That's when you should gun cancel or zone. When you're in speed disadvantage (-frames) you should be thinking about counter-zoning and reacting / dash blocking more than zoning and baiting.

Hope that makes any sense to you.

That's why Stryker is so hard to use properly. Not only do you have to keep an eye on both players meters and have excellent execution+reaction, but you also have to always keep track of frame advantage and have advanced knowledge of footsies and zoning.

But like I said, gun canceling is only really useful vs Stryker's BAD matchups (counter characters that can get around your zoning). You shouldn't even need it most of the time except to mind fuck the opponent and build meter.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Hey guys. Decided to give this game another chance. Offline, it's actually pretty good. Online, it is absolutely shit (almost had a heart attack the last time I played it, Which was minutes ago.) But that's besides the point.

I got a question.

Stryker can cancel a lot of his normals into his specials. But, some of them don't actually combo making them pointless. e.g standing roundhouse into ground roll. Why can I (technically speaking) hit confirm the standing roundhouse, then cancel it into a move that doesn't actually combo? I've tried this in training mode and on a live opponent - so it's not a lag situation. I guess it fits in with the whole committing to a move ethos but then you have at the same time, same character, crouching kick which cancels into roll that DOES combo.

Very odd.

Stryker can cancel a lot of his normals into his specials. But, some of them don't actually combo making them pointless. e.g standing roundhouse into ground roll. Why can I (technically speaking) hit confirm the standing roundhouse, then cancel it into a move that doesn't actually combo? I've tried this in training mode and on a live opponent - so it's not a lag situation. I guess it fits in with the whole committing to a move ethos but then you have at the same time, same character, crouching kick which cancels into roll that DOES combo.

Very odd.
Well first hit confirming is checking if the opponent is being hit or is blocking before finishing with an unsafe special.

In SSF4 you "hit confirm" with links, if the opponent is getting hit, then you've confirmed he is being hit and you know you are landing a combo so you can end with an otherwise unsafe special move. In MK9, you hit confirm with strings, but it's the same.

Technically you can't really hit confirm a single hit. Opponent could get hit or block, you don't know until you see the result. And by the time you realize the opponent has been hit by your normal, it's kinda too late to cancel your normal into the special. So then you're not hit confirming, you're just cancelling and hoping he's not going to block your next move.

Pakman said:
but then you have at the same time, same character, crouching kick which cancels into roll that DOES combo.
No crouching kick combos into Roll or anything. Roll Toss hits twice. If D3 or D4 comboed into Roll it would do 3 hits.

Furthermore, standing 4 like standing 3 inflicts a stagger state. A form of hitstun that allows them to instantly block on the earliest frame. So you will never be able to combo anything from it unless you juggle them. Not even if the normal gives you +5000 frame advantage on hit.

Chains in MK9 are pre-programmed, you can't make your own chain strings. That's why you can't combo D1 into another D1 like in SF even though you have enough frame advantage.

I have a few questions about Stryker's standing 3...

I was online with a friend of mine testing some random things, & I did
JIP...B1,2,2...NJP...1,2...gunshot...dash...3
& after the 3, my friend was able to do Kabal's Nomad Dash before I could even block or do ANYTHING it seems...
The stagger doesnt seem useful besides no wake up, and I feel so far away after the 3 to do anything anyway...
I usually just end with 4 instead of 3, so I can start zoning for meter and I feel safer at a distance.

Am I not understanding something with this move? Also, I have done EX Baton Trip instantly after the 3, and it adds only 9%, when it normally does 14%...I think.
So can someone explain to me why the EX Baton Trip loses damage after the 3?

I'm also wondering what is considered his best corner combo? I can get 41% with no meter but it uppercuts them out of the corner... And I found out that if you do,
JIP...B1,2,2...NJP...1,2...XRAY
It does 49% percent damage, but you must whiff the 1 after the NJP...Kind of hard to do but eh, it's there if you want to try...

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Are you sure about being hit by nomad dash after standing 3? Maybe there was some lag online or something :) The combo you posted is actually my BnB reset, I usually get enough time to do a crossup punch after the stdng 3 reset to continue the pressure.

As far as corner combo, I must admit I'm not really good at them. Someone actually suggested a 44% corner combo using 1 bar in one of the stryker videos i posted on youtube. B3,2..1,2..gunshot...1,2...EN gunshot.. uppercut. I prefer ending it with 4 or 3 to keep them in the corner. 3 requires a little timing though.

& after the 3, my friend was able to do Kabal's Nomad Dash before I could even block or do ANYTHING it seems...
The stagger doesnt seem useful besides no wake up, and I feel so far away after the 3 to do anything anyway...
That's why I want longer stagger state on 3. :)

By the way, the best time to use standing 3 in combos is right after a neutral jump punch. That gives you the "optimal stagger state" but still isn't long enough to allow for a safe jump, which I would really like NRS to do.

Anyone have the answer as to why EX Baton trip does less damage after that BnB reset?

It's a completely new combo, so I don't understand why it is being scaled it seems...

If it didn't lose the damage it would be about 45% 1 meter, but they could block it low I suppose...

Which makes me wish the second hit of EX Baton trip was an overhead... >_>

xXMalakianXVII said:
It's a completely new combo
If they can block it then it's not a combo or a scale reset. It's not even anything, it's just a shenanigan that only works at the lowest levels of play. Any decent player will easily block EN baton trip and punish you during your recovery.

Cyrax's bombtrap is a reset combo because they can't block or escape the follow up in any way.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Dang! now i'm really curious about the hit box for roll toss. Stryker's B2 hit all high and yet it stuff stryker's roll toss like a charm. Dd you guys know that? i'm not sure how many stryker mirrors you have done in the past. But yeah that finding was kinda weird to me. No wonder any random normal move beats it

Yo V. I'm having a hard time punishing sub slide with B2,F2...hell I havent landed it once. is the timing stricked or something?

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Yo V. I'm having a hard time punishing sub slide with B2,F2...hell I havent landed it once. is the timing stricked or something?
I've been having that same problem recently. Could be variable frame data block thingy or lag.

p,s: You can definitely punish slide with back 1,2,2 also. Try that.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Yo what da hell!!!! I'm embarrassed to say that I just discovered that combo but I just found a 40% combo with the B2,F2 launcher. I guess that's what I get for never using the B2,F2 string :-(

Here it is:

JP1...B2,F2...dash...1,2 xx Gunshot...dash 1,2 xx Roll Toss 40% 13hits

My BnB is
NJ1...B1,2,2...NJP1..dash1xx Gunshot...dash..1xx Roll Toss 36% 11hits

If I'm feeling lucky I would do

NJ1...B1,2,2...NJP1..dash1xx Gunshot...dash..1,2xx Roll Toss 39% 12hits

But since I like to play rushdown with Stryker I usually ends my BnB with STD 3 after gunshot to continue applying pressure. Although it's only 31% for 9 hits, I like the fact that I'm still right there in the opponent's face :)

I never knew that a combo from B2,F2 could be so simple and yet so damaging. I gotta admit the timing is a little annoying but so was my BnB when I first started. If I remember correctly "Aggravated Assault" should be safe on block, no? If it is, I may start using this string a lot more from now on.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: sheesssh the timing on the last 1,2xroll toss for the aggravated assault combo is a bit too strict for me. I might settle for 1xxroll toss for 37% until I get more comfortable with it.

RamenO

It Stinks!
I've known about those combos for quite a bit. It's really tricky landing them online, especially the dash 1,2 after gunshots. I usually just settle for a dash 1 into roll toss.

I've never been really questioned Stryker's damage. I've always felt it was sufficient enough, it's better than most. However, does anyone else feel that Stryker's combos take a bit more execution than most?

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Most of stryker's combos are kinda easy as long as they dont involve executing 1,2 string lol

The combo that gives me the most prob is the 33% midscreen off of B3,2 starter.

Malec

Noob
that sounds stupid but can someone tell me how dash 1x roll toss works? thanks to the negative edge i ALWAYS get 1 gunshot when i try it. 1,2 roll toss works fine, but its hard to hit 1,2 after gunshot in comobs, the 2 misses a lot for me

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
that sounds stupid but can someone tell me how dash 1x roll toss works? thanks to the negative edge i ALWAYS get 1 gunshot when i try it. 1,2 roll toss works fine, but its hard to hit 1,2 after gunshot in comobs, the 2 misses a lot for me
Same here when it comes to 1,2. 2 whiffs most of the time. For 1xx roll toss you gonna have to be a little faster for that one and make sure that you are not mashing on 1. Basically don't wait till you see the 1 (fwrd punch) hit to do the roll toss. Try doing it as 1 motion. Tap 1 n roll toss immediately.. no pause in between