What's new

Question ask stryker thread

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I've been maining the crap out of Stryker since day one. Than again, I'm kinda bad so I'm not even sure if my devotion counts.
Yeah me too. I have been so focus on stryker since day 1 that trying to pick up another character seems like a life time burden. My philosophy is 1 character vs the rest of the cast. If he is in the game it means that he can beat all of them. Sure some matchups can be beyond a uphill battle, bottom line is that he can do it :)

Hopefully that same level of dedication can last for kenshi. He's the only char that clicked with me like stryker did hehe

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RamenO

It Stinks!
I have a question for the Ask Stryker thread. Everyone admires this thread as the one with the most content. Yet, I don't see too many Strykers. I'm guessing everyone plays this dood but doesn't main him because he sucks? (I'm not serious if you haven't figured out yet). Just amazed in the traffic this forum gets, but how little people actually play this dood. Bang Bang!
Not going to lie, Stryker is frustrating to play, especially online. He requires zoning and spacing control, and he doesn't do the most damage(consider Kano's knife does 9%, gunshot only does 6%). His mixup game is very poor, with his only overhead being telegraphed and slow(you can jab or uppercut him in between the 3, 2), and his other launch being unsafe on block(1,2,2). Add to this his lack of viable wake up options, and you're not going to see too many Strykers. What really bugs me is the lack of real wake up. I've been grabbed out of a EN Roll Toss before. Stuff like that makes me want to drop the character. He gets rushed down for days, and people sometimes don't even respect the X-Ray because of how long of recovery it has.

He's still tons of fun to play, though. Gotta love his "haha, punk" with the little hat salute when he wins.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I've been using Stryker since day one also. But it's hard to level up with him in this game right now. Practice mode is not as good as it should be yet (hopefully the petition will sort that out) and he does not benefit online like several other characters.

Don't get me wrong, Stryker has good moves but they require specific and very tight timing - compared this to the rest of the cast who have overheads during mash-able, positive block strings ---> this is quite possible the dumbest thing I've ever seen, well that and parries given to rush down characters...

Basically, almost everyone else on the roster is easier to get results with - that's why you don't see many Stryker players in general.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Not going to lie, Stryker is frustrating to play, especially online. He requires zoning and spacing control, and he doesn't do the most damage(consider Kano's knife does 9%, gunshot only does 6%). His mixup game is very poor, with his only overhead being telegraphed and slow(you can jab or uppercut him in between the 3, 2), and his other launch being unsafe on block(1,2,2). Add to this his lack of viable wake up options, and you're not going to see too many Strykers. What really bugs me is the lack of real wake up. I've been grabbed out of a EN Roll Toss before. Stuff like that makes me want to drop the character. He gets rushed down for days, and people sometimes don't even respect the X-Ray because of how long of recovery it has.

He's still tons of fun to play, though. Gotta love his "haha, punk" with the little hat salute when he wins.
EX-Baton Sweep is an amazing wake up, beats out Kung Lao spin and even Kung Lao X-Ray. The more you know - and yes this is true for even non-wakeup ex-baton sweep shit is boss.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
EX-Baton Sweep is an amazing wake up, beats out Kung Lao spin and even Kung Lao X-Ray. The more you know - and yes this is true for even non-wakeup ex-baton sweep shit is boss.
This borderline makes no sense, as X-ray breaks armor. Only way this is possible is for the baton to have evasion on its own.

RamenO

It Stinks!
EX Baton only has armor during start up. You can get hit pretty hard if it's baited, or miss completely if they cross you up(and get punished because this move takes forever to recover). Also, it only gives you armor. Not invincibility like half the cast seem to get(Sektor's EN Teleport Punch is completely untouchable on wake up, and is safe on block).

Not complaining, just stating that his wake up is pretty weak compared to the rest of the cast. EN Baton isn't something I'd ever want to be using on wakeup. I'd rather save for a breaker.

Yeah I really wouldn't recommend using EN baton sweep. Like never. Except vs people that crouch tech a lot. Reason is crouch tech stuffs EN Roll Toss sometimes (it's armor doesn't even absorb a D4, it just loses to it). So vs characters that like to crouch tech on your wake up, I would use EN Baton Sweep. But like I said, very rarely. 90% of the time EN Roll Toss is just 100x all around better. Why? Because it sends opponent full screen and is safe on block. That's why. Use EN Baton Sweep and they can easily interrupt between first and second hit or block both and punish you hard during your recovery.

There's no lazy or easy way around it: Stryker has one of the worst wake up in the game. You just have to learn universal ways to avoid pressure: dash under, block, instant uppercut, crouch tech or sweep to lower your hittable box, stay grounded, roll back etc.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Yesterday sparing yes Kung Laos X-Ray started up and my EX-Baton Sweep blinked and kung lao fell over (and it wasn't a low health cancel of this X-Ray).

And yes EX-Baton sweep will smash Kung Lao in a normal non-ex spin and a normal spin as a wakeup attack as well. EX-Spin vs EX-Baton Toss I believe spin will win but further priority testing will be needed.

RamenO

It Stinks!
Here's a question for Stryker players. Who do you feel is your worst matchup? I don't necessarily mean for the character, but for you. For example, I honestly had a lot of trouble vs. Bison in SF4 when I played Guile, even though that matchup is supposedly heavily in his favor.

I know this may be a tough question, considering online is limited(Scorpion, Scorpion, Scorpion, Scorpion, Raiden, Scorpion), but there should be one that sticks out.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
believe it or not kung lao is still a pain for me. he is just too hard to zone and you cant get in on him. you pretty much have to wait on his mistake and settle for 25% damage...which another pain because kl would have already build so much meter to break from pressuring you.

in other new, i just downloaded a 1.03 update for MK and i know a patch ws supposed to be out later this week. anyone know what it is for?

D_Matt_Ma

Smoke...

I don't think any other character is even disputable when it comes to this match-up. Kung Lao would be a second. Smoke is harder because you can't lame out smoke. Shake will always prevail against chip and lame.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Smoke...

I don't think any other character is even disputable when it comes to this match-up. Kung Lao would be a second. Smoke is harder because you can't lame out smoke. Shake will always prevail against chip and lame.
ugh! that's another one. and im willing to change my stance from kl to smoke. cage is another one. pretty much any char who can apply constant pressure without having to worry about stryker's wakeup options.

What wake up options lol?

Shake shouldn't be a problem at all for Stryker unless your spamming gun mindlessly. The only thing that makes Smoke tough is his teleport because it's more invulnerable during it's start up and is the fastest in the game so you have less time to crouch tech cancel.

To answer the question I would say without a doubt Kabal and Noob are the toughest for me. Not just because they outzone Sryker, but because they force you to play more aggressively and the more aggressive you play, the more easy it is for them to outplay you.

Kweli

Noob
Smoke and Kabal seem to be the hardest for me.... KL is also up there... I cant believe they gave that dude pretty much every special in the game (dive kick, teleport, high and low projectile, spin.... wtf....)

A properly played nightwolf is also difficult

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Shake is a problem for Stryker. That is all :)
you can beat shake with roll toss and EN shake with EN baton sweep. So shouldnt be a problem IMO

EDIT: Correct me if im wrong but it seems like regular shake can only parry mid attach or grab. I could be wrond but I feel like I have beaten regular shake with sweep (could be wrong tho)

Kweli

Noob
I think regular shake is only projectile.. and EN shake is everything (including sweep)... but you guys are saying EX baton works, i didnt try that...

I was standing there like an idiot when smoke was doing EN Shake because i couldnt figure out what attack would hit

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I think regular shake is only projectile.. and EN shake is everything (including sweep)... but you guys are saying EX baton works, i didnt try that...

I was standing there like an idiot when smoke was doing EN Shake because i couldnt figure out what attack would hit
yeah me too. You have no idea how many matches I have lost because of that stupid EN shake. I went in the lab put stryker on expert and keep on doing smoke EN shake. EN baton sweep was the only thing that was beating it. Since I dont have a partner to test, I dont know if regular baton sweep will beat EN shake as well

you can beat shake with roll toss and EN shake with EN baton sweep. So shouldnt be a problem IMO
You can also beat shake by holding your gun. :p

Like I said, Shake/Reflect type moves are only a problem if you are spamming gun shot, which you should never be doing anyway. Stryker isn't a spam character like Noob or Ermac. You have to play smart and use your gun to bait and condition the opponent.

When I fight Smoke I WANT him to do Shake because that shit is so easy to bait and punish. It's his teleport that is the most annoying and hard to deal with. It's too fast and you can't hit him out of it most of the times.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Also using gun vs smoke is the worse idea ever as his teleport will easily beat you on reaction

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

D_Matt_Ma

The Smoke shake breakdown doesn't seem right based on what some are saying here. I'll do some checking and see can I get a quick list of must dos in a few hours.

D_Matt_Ma

Enhanced Shake LOSES to the following: d+1, d+3, d+4, baton sweep, X-ray.

Holding gun to my knowledge isn't a counter because Smoke can cancel the shake and hold it just like Stryker can cancel and hold the gun.

In other words, if he does enhanced shake, you're losing the risk/reward trade-off.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
do you guys know of anything that can interrupt Reptile's elbow dash or once it out that's it? i was thinking about spamming D3 or Standing 3 to anticipate it but wasnt sure.

D_Matt_Ma

do you guys know of anything that can interrupt Reptile's elbow dash or once it out that's it? i was thinking about spamming D3 or Standing 3 to anticipate it but wasnt sure.
Once it's out, that's it. I don't want to talk about what if perfect situations. If it's out, you respect it as Stryker. You got nothing worth risking in that trade.