What's new

Aris Wins Wednesday Night Fights Injustice #2

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Longtime Tekken player and now Injustice community member Aris fought his way to a victory at last night's WNF, giving Deathstroke his first tournament win. Aris notably defeated EGP Tyrant, EGP Krayzie, EGP Wonder Chef, and EGP PBoard Player, staying in winners throughout to face Tyrant a second time in Grand Finals, as everyone worked to try to figure out the answers to his offense.

Congrats to Aris -- and also to Injustice for yet again attracting a large number of viewers, and once again bringing a its unique brand of excitement to the West Coast.

The bracket can be found here: http://levelup.challonge.com/wnfae2013_injustice_2_4
Archives are here: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/395337812?t=1h14m47s
Part 2 here: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/395405587

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
damn well i missed all this, sleep debt caught up to me, slept almost 16 hours LOL but wow is there and archive for this up yet?

cyke_out

Noob
People really need to stop 50/50'ing at the first match, it gives players that are smart enough to know how to use the stages a huge boost if they get their stage that they want. Anytime Aris was in the hanger bay, he'd use that missile, and good for him, since that is what he was suppossed to do. But making everything 50/50 can have it so one player gets every pick going his way.

There should be a random stage at first match to put the first game on neutral ground.

Still, not taking anything away from Aris, one of the best Deathstroke's I have seen, and not flustered when things got close, he did what it took to win and you have to respect that.

cyke_out

Noob
I watched the same tourny, Aris won, how he did it doesn't matter. If his opponent didn't want him to zone, mash b2,2,2 and abuse Ferris aircraft then they should have stopped him.

Although, I have said my bit about 50/50 at the first game. How someone plays doesn't matter, if it works keep doing it. Aris isn't some figure skater trying to twirl and be fancy and get a good score from the judges, he is going to win, and he did. At the end of the tourny, there are no prizes given for who had the fanciest play, the prizes given are for the players that won.

jaym7018

Noob
I watched the same tourny, Aris won, how he did it doesn't matter. If his opponent didn't want him to zone, mash b2,2,2 and abuse Ferris aircraft then they should have stopped him.

Although, I have said my bit about 50/50 at the first game. How someone plays doesn't matter, if it works keep doing it. Aris isn't some figure skater trying to twirl and be fancy and get a good score from the judges, he is going to win, and he did. At the end of the tourny, there are no prizes given for who had the fanciest play, the prizes given are for the players that won.
Sorry , but winning tournies by getting lucky on stage select mashing 1 string and zoning does not bode well for this game as a tournament level game. Aris even knew he was winning by trolling.

cyke_out

Noob
Sorry , but winning tournies by getting lucky on stage select mashing 1 string and zoning does not bode well for this game as a tournament level game. Aris even knew he was winning by trolling.
If all the other players just roll over and allow this tactic to happen, then sure the future isn't so bright. But I really doubt that is going to happen. People were dashing into bullets right after getting hit, either not knowing that wouldn't work, or not caring. People were eating MB bullets after already blocking, and just let got impatient and dashed too early. They were jumping unsafe. They made many mistakes (And I am not trying to but anyone on blast, it's easier to be an armchair quarterback using hindisght, I'm sure the majority of those players could body me in anything from a game of pogs to thumb wrestling)

Is it Aris fault they were making mistakes? Should he have said, oh, gee. these guys are falling for these same tactics, I should stop what I'm doing to make it more interesting for everyone?

jaym7018

Noob
Fair enough, it's clear he studied the match-ups and the stage he was gonna use, so kudos to him.
No he didnt, he studied the stage and worked on zoning thats it. He could have won more handily but it waz obvious all he knew to do with punishes is hold back and mash 2 . He fought the exact same way against each character.

jaym7018

Noob
If all the other players just roll over and allow this tactic to happen, then sure the future isn't so bright. But I really doubt that is going to happen. People were dashing into bullets right after getting hit, either not knowing that wouldn't work, or not caring. People were eating MB bullets after already blocking, and just let got impatient and dashed too early. They were jumping unsafe. They made many mistakes (And I am not trying to but anyone on blast, it's easier to be an armchair quarterback using hindisght, I'm sure the majority of those players could body me in anything from a game of pogs to thumb wrestling)

Is it Aris fault they were making mistakes? Should he have said, oh, gee. these guys are falling for these same tactics, I should stop what I'm doing to make it more interesting for everyone?
The reason they were being hit by meter burn bullets after blocking is cause the window to get a dash after a normal gun is tiny. The opponent has to pretty much guess if they are gonna meter burn or not.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This was a funny post. Dude used 10% of deathstrokes tool set along with abusing interactables and won.
In footsie range he used DS's low, his overhead, used the Sword Flip consistently to AA, used Sword Spin on wakeup to give himself a bit of breathing room if people became overly agressive, used a lot of ambiguous jump/crossover 3's, and also used a lot of b1u2 in close to mix people up and space them out.

Yes his main game was zoning; but Deathstroke is a zoner. Don't know what you expected, but this was a good example to everyone that beating a good Deathstroke involves more than just ducking and dashing through non-EX gunshots.

Also he beat WonderChef on the Fortress of Solitude and Krayzie on Gotham, and used maybe a total of 1 interactible on both of those stages combined.