What's new

Are Jason mains selfish for wanting buffs? Seeing the game through low tier eyes.

No you guys aren't selfish. Just like I'm not selfish for wanting commando Kano to get buffs and necromancer shinnok buffs. And to call him "low tier", is too much. Yomi's tier list is trash for an actual discussion about this character. So much Jason can do but no one's willing to take him on.

Rocket

For the Shirai Ryu.
I am a Jason main and I want buffs for my character next patch. However, I fully acknowledge that MKX is a very well balanced game. You can travel to a tournament nowadays in MKX and be very well off if you main one of the at least 18 S or A+ tier characters (according to the Yomi tier list which I will be using for my points.) That is well over half the cast!

The problem with me is that I see MKX through low tier eyes. In order to "fix" MKX for me there is going to have to be a huge laundry list. Just for starters I would need nerfs for
  • ALL of S tier. Cassie, Kung Lao, Predator, Quan, Shinnok, Tanya, Tremor
  • Most of A+ tier. Johnny Cage's d4 would be one of the many examples. That is a chunk of other characters that would need nerfs
Then I would need my laundry list of buffs as well to fix many problems that my main has. Now the game would be fixed for me, but what about the majority of players that play high tier? They see the game through high tier eyes and the game would look completely different to them. The Kung Lao mains might be nerfed so hard that now that they have to learn a completely different style of play. Would the game now be ruined for the majority of players due to my selfish under played character?

Some would say the answer would be "don't touch top tier, just buff low tier." If that is the way we go then where should we try to aim to buff some of the low tier characters? Should we try and buff Jason so that he is now B tier, A tier, or S tier even? What if he then accidentally gets over buffed?

Also if we play it safe and just give Jason some small buffs, would that really end up changing anything at all? So Jason gets some buffs and gets moved up into the B tier. Does that even matter? Would that make more people play Jason that want to but just can't because he is not tournament viable? I don't think so.

The safe play would be to give Jason small buffs that are really meaningless at the end of the day. Then also make very little changes to MKX overall and just chalk Jason up as collateral damage in having too many variations to balance.

For me though, selfishly, I hope they risk big changes.
Don't think you need to explain jason needing buffs mate, and are you serious in asking if it's selfish to want jason buffs, what nutjob would say that's selfish. Don't play jason but i'm pretty sure he deserves buffs.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You're not selfish for wanting buffs. The character isn't good.

At the same time, you have to be careful how you buff him. A couple extreme buffs and he can jump way too far upward (not simply S tier good, but beyond that). But if you don't buff him well enough, it's not going to do anything unless you also nerf the top a lot, as well as nerf the ones below them a bit. It's a balance you have to strike with it, and it's hard to measure exactly what you need to do.