What's new

Are Jason mains selfish for wanting buffs? Seeing the game through low tier eyes.

I am a Jason main and I want buffs for my character next patch. However, I fully acknowledge that MKX is a very well balanced game. You can travel to a tournament nowadays in MKX and be very well off if you main one of the at least 18 S or A+ tier characters (according to the Yomi tier list which I will be using for my points.) That is well over half the cast!

The problem with me is that I see MKX through low tier eyes. In order to "fix" MKX for me there is going to have to be a huge laundry list. Just for starters I would need nerfs for
  • ALL of S tier. Cassie, Kung Lao, Predator, Quan, Shinnok, Tanya, Tremor
  • Most of A+ tier. Johnny Cage's d4 would be one of the many examples. That is a chunk of other characters that would need nerfs
Then I would need my laundry list of buffs as well to fix many problems that my main has. Now the game would be fixed for me, but what about the majority of players that play high tier? They see the game through high tier eyes and the game would look completely different to them. The Kung Lao mains might be nerfed so hard that now that they have to learn a completely different style of play. Would the game now be ruined for the majority of players due to my selfish under played character?

Some would say the answer would be "don't touch top tier, just buff low tier." If that is the way we go then where should we try to aim to buff some of the low tier characters? Should we try and buff Jason so that he is now B tier, A tier, or S tier even? What if he then accidentally gets over buffed?

Also if we play it safe and just give Jason some small buffs, would that really end up changing anything at all? So Jason gets some buffs and gets moved up into the B tier. Does that even matter? Would that make more people play Jason that want to but just can't because he is not tournament viable? I don't think so.

The safe play would be to give Jason small buffs that are really meaningless at the end of the day. Then also make very little changes to MKX overall and just chalk Jason up as collateral damage in having too many variations to balance.

For me though, selfishly, I hope they risk big changes.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I would say say if they tone down the top tiers some to be in line with say, Sonya level good, then low tiers buffs should be smaller. Though if they barely touch the top tiers then low tier buffs should be huge because there's a significant gap between the top half of the cast and the bottom.

One or the other they should do, but not both.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I don't think its selfish lol his is generally accepted to be the absolute worst character in the game. I personally don't want him buffed to the point of being S tier but I would like him to receive some minor buffs to ease up the struggle just a little bit lol

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Jason has the biggest winning matches of this game, winning 75,33% of his matches, on PS4 at least. No buffs for Jason lol

http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-ps4-kharacter-usage-updates.57139/
Online statistics don't mean shit.

Goro, Jason, and Jacqui are noob obliterators, and most online players are shitty casuals and/or people with shitty connections. Two things those three characters excel against. Not because they are good, but because they have easily abusable tools and/or laughably simple combos that aren't weighed down by lag.

Show me some offline tourney statistics and we can compare numbers.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Agreed, he needs help. I m beginning to feel nostalgic about the old Relentless Jason. Was talking about it with @Hidan some time ago.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
I think they should just buff the mid and low tiers considerably because nerfing S and A+ tiers means they'd have to nerf around 15-18 characters to make Jason viable. That doesn't sound very feasible lol.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I used to see things like that.

Imagine the world through the eyes on a Bane player. We knew we were fine after 1.03, but the rest of the community disagreed with us. You saw how he ended out...

Viable as hell.

Buffs are great. Nerfs to top tiers are great. It's all great.

Fuck those guys.
Buff Bane, buff Jason, buff Ferra/Torr, buff Goro.

Nerf leatherface

I don't care if Kung Laos have to learn a different style, I don't give two and a half shits if Cassie players have shinnok damage. If they are as good as they think, they will make the character work regardless.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Just to provide a throwback I think applies...

Bane: Mid-tier, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this tier is the worst hell on earth... Hope. Every man who has ventured here over the centuries has looked up to the High tiers and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy... So simple... And like Sheeva mains turning to Cyrax from uncontrollable desire, many have stopped trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Injustice, I will feed its players hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to "stay on the top." You can watch me torture an entire game and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny... We will rule Injustice and then, when it is done and the tiers are in ashes, then you have my permission to die.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I used to see things like that.

Imagine the world through the eyes on a Bane player. We knew we were fine after 1.03, but the rest of the community disagreed with us. You saw how he ended out...

Viable as hell.

Buffs are great. Nerfs to top tiers are great. It's all great.

Fuck those guys.
Buff Bane, buff Jason, buff Ferra/Torr, buff Goro.

Nerf leatherface

I don't care if Kung Laos have to learn a different style, I don't give two and a half shits if Cassie players have shinnok damage. If they are as good as they think, they will make the character work regardless.
liked for goro, unliked for bane

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Agreed, he needs help. I m beginning to feel nostalgic about the old Relentless Jason. Was talking about it with @Hidan some time ago.
Few things hurt my soul more than NRS taking away the Relentless damage "bug"

It was so unique. It was so satisfying. And honestly, he wasn't even that good with it.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Buff Jason and Kenshi.
Tone down Tempest.
Readjust Kobu Jutsu, give Tanya something new to compensate.
But above all these, giving Jason a lift would be the one definite need for the next patch. Unstoppable in itself is at such a lack of tools that it's genuinely depressing and I don't even use that variation.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
IMO, buffing overtly non-viable characters is always good for a fighting game. It encourages competent players to play more characters, and ultimately, to dig deeper. This game still has so much untapped potential . . . I believe a lot of that potential is currently hidden in variations that nobody plays.