What's new

Amplified (EX, MB) moves — Universal inputs are back

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
It’s whatever, but at this point I get annoyed when I think about people who need to exploit matchups were the only competitive players out there whining about this. I can understand the casuals standpoint on this out of fear they’d never land a combo at the bar or at a party with their friends. But damn why cater to this, scrubs had a whole damn game with mkx. Can we at least get somewhat of a challenge with the timing of the amplify button?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I don't think there's a move that you can chain into an interactable with the same timing as amplifying it.
I’m not sure of any examples. I was just thinking if a move left an opening afterward, such as a short pop-up or stagger to can chain from, maybe you might want to use an interactable if it’s available.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I’m not sure of any examples. I was just thinking if a move left an opening afterward, such as a short pop-up or stagger to can chain from, maybe you might want to use an interactable if it’s available.
I see your point. But I'm sure they already thought of that.

DDustiNN

Of course, i wasn't trying to discredit the dev team, I just like the romantic thought of NRS keeping a close eye on the community and observing how we react to new things then change them accordingly.

As for 16bit, am actually confused about him. I know he's a senior QA but in the kombat kast he keep saying "i gave this (x) character that (y) special and this (z) string" Which imply he's part of the design team as well or at least he have a strong influence on character design even if he's not doing the hard labour himself.
He’s talking about which moves he “gave” characters when creating his custom variations, just like we will be doing. That’s all. Not the actual development.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I do not play anime fighting games. Besides, I was just quoting what Hippo had originally said. Now please stop fishing for irrelevant mistakes that have nothing to do with the main argument and say something of value once in a while.
You skipped over my main point, which is the point that many people are quoting to you in this thread: that these inputs are not *difficult*; they do not function in a way that requires *additional skill*. They’re simply extra rote/basic memorization that doesn’t actually add anything to the gameplay.

You sir have made yourself out to look like the Fool of the Week in this thread with all this pandering and creating of straw men. Come on now Dave :p

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm also a stick player and I'm wondering how I'll handle this. I've always been used to BLOCK for the meter burn (now Amplify). My layout is as close to the old arcade configuration as possible:

1 FS 2
3 BL 4

I never set anything else. I'd use 1+2 for interactables and 1+3 for throws. I'd trigger X-rays with FS (flip stance) + Block. If X-Rays (now Fatal Blows) can still be triggered with 3+BL+4, I can remap where I had FS to INT, but it will still be a bit awkward because I'm used to using that block button.

Having said that, Amplify doesn't work the way Meter Burn used to in MK9 and MKX. You push the button after, so it might not feel that weird.

I'm absolutely not going to complain about it, because NRS listened to the majority and they stated they'd prefer one universal input. I think after about a week or so of play, everyone will be used to the new Amplify system.
i use:

1 2 BL, FS
3 4 IT, TH

Due the amplify moves, blocking and movement were always at disposal in MK9 and MKX so having that button there helps me navigating through the whole layout much faster, with a lot of precision, when i wanted to activate X-Ray i woul just press BL + FS at same time and if i wanted to ex MB anything i would do it in same faction because BL can be easily combined with everything else from 1, 2 3 or 4 without giving away my ability to move or block instantaneously.

But now with the return of dash block i still have to keep it there, but amplifyng moves its on a button which i don't pay much atention to, reason why the alternate commands would be a lot better, i would still be able to do whatever without paying much attention to that button in specific and since i don't need to press it accidentaly to amplify an alternative command would be a great deal to that.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I am happy with this, R1 is also better than R2, I used to switch them around in MKX, now I won't have too. Tho I'm low key thinking of doing a DOA configuration, have 1 the block and I guess R1 would stay where it is.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
They went from cleverly removing the mb button to adding one...

Please change it back or give me the option to use no mb button. This game won’t even be playable on stick with these awkward inputs

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
You skipped over my main point, which is the point that many people are quoting to you in this thread: that these inputs are not *difficult*; they do not function in a way that requires *additional skill*. They’re simply extra rote/basic memorization that doesn’t actually add anything to the gameplay.

You sir have made yourself out to look like the Fool of the Week in this thread with all this pandering and creating of straw men. Come on now Dave :p
But they did add to the gameplay. They eliminated the need for an extra mb button..

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

Please change it back or give me the option to use no mb button. This game won’t even be playable on stick with these awkward inputs
It will be playable, just need to change your buttons around. It was harder in MKX because of run cancels, but it was awesome when using characters like Predator.

I think if they would have made the MB like pressing the face button twice then fine, kinda like how it was in IJ2 when playing on stick, but if it's always a specific input for every move it's kind of a lot to remember.

DDustiNN

And also opened up the possibility for characters to have multiple ways to mb a move
I do like this idea quite a bit, but I doubt they had anything like this in mind anyway. It was probably always just one single succession... move -> amplify -> amplify further.

Having different ways to amplify sounds pretty amazing, and would add a whole new aspect to just about everything. I’m thinking of something along the lines of Grundy’s combo where you choose what to do by doing different inputs.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I do like this idea quite a bit, but I doubt they had anything like this in mind anyway. It was probably always just one single succession... move -> amplify -> amplify further.

Having different ways to amplify sounds pretty amazing, and would add a whole new aspect to just about everything. I’m thinking of something along the lines of Grundy’s combo where you choose what to do by doing different inputs.
Yes this is exactly what I was thinking about. A grappler that could amplify his command grab for damage or amplify it for a longer knockdown. So many possibilities that wont be able to be explored now

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yes this is exactly what I was thinking about. A grappler that could amplify his command grab for damage or amplify it for a longer knockdown. So many possibilities that wont be able to be explored now
That's how grappling works in DOA6, try it out ;)

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest

I am also a stick player, and while it may seem awkward a bit at first, please explain why it won't even be "playable" with this change. That seems greatly blown out of proportion.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I am also a stick player, and while it may seem awkward a bit at first, please explain why it won't even be "playable" with this change. That seems greatly blown out of proportion.
Obviously it will still be playable if you hate yourself and want to play on stick. The point is that pad should be vastly superior now.

If you’re competing in this game it seems like a premonition that pad will be better.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I am happy with this, R1 is also better than R2, I used to switch them around in MKX, now I won't have too. Tho I'm low key thinking of doing a DOA configuration, have 1 the block and I guess R1 would stay where it is.
I've had this thought, but where would you put the 1 button?

trufenix

bye felicia
As someone who was looking forward to the change (gameplay homogenization fucking sucks) I am disappoint. Anyone calling this "complex" even with the prefix "needlessly" clearly have no business claiming to be skilled, good, or even having a basic willing to learn the mechanics of fighting games.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
As someone who was looking forward to the change (gameplay homogenization fucking sucks) I am disappoint. Anyone calling this "complex" even with the prefix "needlessly" clearly have no business claiming to be skilled, good, or even having a basic willing to learn the mechanics of fighting games.
I feel like everything you post is as wrong as it could possibly be.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
They will memorize all their unique strings and specials, memorize an entire games worth of frame data in order to compete, and have never had any issues with memorizing unique fatality inputs for every character, but if its a mb special then oh no thats not allowed

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I may actually give this a shot during the beta and see how I feel. After playing DOA, I realized my block reaction is much faster with those controls than the standard MK setup.
I think so too, I may change R1 and R2 around but I'll see what feels better when I play. I think blocking with the thumb may not be a great idea but we'll see.