What's new

Amplified (EX, MB) moves — Universal inputs are back

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Easy to learn, hard to master. If you make idiotic inputs, like dfb/dbf or amplify before this day from mk11 - you kill that formula

You don’t need high execution to have a large skill gap in any fighting game.

Simple games tend to lead to complex metas.
Complex games tend to lead to simple metas.

Not saying everything needs to be braindead easy. But it certainly doesn’t need to be overly complicated either.
I don't understand the logic behind this, and it seems a bit contradictory. Could you please elaborate and give an exemple :) ?

---

Most people fail to realise here that we are just asking to test the mechanic in the beta (because testing stuff is the main purpose of a beta) before reverting it back to the old system if needed. People freaked out about this system while they never touched the game.
It makes me think about people refusing to taste a meal because it doesn't seem good from where they are. I mean, how could you know if a dish is bad if you haven't touched it yet ? Most people here would be frightened about the idea of eating snails, yet it's delicious. I'm part of the people that want to taste the dish first, and if it's not good, then I'll send it back to the kitchen.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I dont get how this site legit thinks this is an execution barrier. Really? I haven't seen one person complain about the execution required to flawless block punish certain moves like scorpion ex tele yet everyone immediately sees this as something thats going to hold them back? What about having to memorize krushing blow combos? No ones memory is going to hold them back there?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
To be clear it is the interact button not block.
Any chance you guys make it an option to toggle on or off? This is a very unfriendly change to stick players (interact only makes sense because it is the RB on pads but forces very wonky button layouts). I was really looking forward to the unique inputs as it would have made characters much more dynamic to play and I thought that was part if the whole rebranding of meter burning moves as amplifying moves and Im surprised you guys ditched this idea so quickly before people could even try it out in the betas...

stokedAF

casual kahnage
They need to make the amplify button stance switch. The reason block is bad is if you whiff a special move and the opponent is coming at you and you block the amplify could happen if you press block to early. The same thing could possibly happen if your next to an interactable.

Why not make it a button that people rarely ever use? Or why doesn't NRS just get rid of this useless button and make characters auto turn facing the camera like every other fighting game?
That would make sense to me.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Any chance you guys make it an option to toggle on or off? This is a very unfriendly change to stick players (interact only makes sense because it is the RB on pads but forces very wonky button layouts). I was really looking forward to the unique inputs as it would have made characters much more dynamic to play and I thought that was part if the whole rebranding of meter burning moves as amplifying moves and Im surprised you guys ditched this idea so quickly before people could even try it out in the betas...
this, so much this.

I'm aint even mad that they changed, but the option to choose man, that matters a lot, specially for a Stick player.

Marlow

Noob
I don't argue that one bit, I just think you should be able to consistently tech throws in all fighting games without a 50\5o attached to the end of a already teched throw. Hell it even hurts you when you tech throw.
I see where you’re coming from now, I agree. In a 2D game throws should be teched with one button press, not have to guess a direction as well.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I'd totally be down for the Tekken approach though, keeping the throws pseudo-50/50 but having slightly different animations for the throws so one could practice reacting to them instead of guessing.
Well pre tekken 7 you had to watch what hand they led with and press the right button 1 for left 2 for right and if they led with both hands it was 1+2. It was pretty tough but lots of players did it very consistently. I would def take the t7 throw break over what they have now though.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Is enhance and meter burn the same thing or 2 separate mechanics? I heard them mention both but was unsure if they just mispoke. Like when he was saying you could enhance moves after the hit and not at the same time like a meter burn.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Is enhance and meter burn the same thing or 2 separate mechanics? I heard them mention both but was unsure if they just mispoke. Like when he was saying you could enhance moves after the hit and not at the same time like a meter burn.
It's the same mechanic but it's not meter burn anymore because there's no meter in the game. They're called "offensive/defensive stamina", so there's no meter to burn. When you amplify a move it consumes stamina, not meter.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Idk why everyone is getting so upset. It’s honestly not that big of a deal, relax.

I don't understand the logic behind this, and it seems a bit contradictory. Could you please elaborate and give an exemple :) ?

---
People often conflate high execution fighters with having a lot of depth. Aka, the more execution required the better the game is. This isn’t necessarily true. People are blinded by so many scrubs wanting things dumbed down that they refuse to even think about the situation logically. They see scrubs constantly wanting things to be easier, so that idea is attributed across the board.

So, I’m not against having high execution requirements. I have never had any issue with execution personally. I’m against unnecessary execution requirements. Again, not for myself, but for the game as a whole.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
And there you have it, folks! We heard correctly.

Now the question remains... what happens when you’re within range of an interactable? Will we have a situation similar to Cassie’s combo from MKX which would sometimes trigger the interact when you don’t want it? Or what if you actually want to chain an interactable after a move, rather than amplifying it?
I don't think there's a move that you can chain into an interactable with the same timing as amplifying it.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
this, so much this.

I'm aint even mad that they changed, but the option to choose man, that matters a lot, specially for a Stick player.
I'm also a stick player and I'm wondering how I'll handle this. I've always been used to BLOCK for the meter burn (now Amplify). My layout is as close to the old arcade configuration as possible:

1 FS 2
3 BL 4

I never set anything else. I'd use 1+2 for interactables and 1+3 for throws. I'd trigger X-rays with FS (flip stance) + Block. If X-Rays (now Fatal Blows) can still be triggered with 3+BL+4, I can remap where I had FS to INT, but it will still be a bit awkward because I'm used to using that block button.

Having said that, Amplify doesn't work the way Meter Burn used to in MK9 and MKX. You push the button after, so it might not feel that weird.

I'm absolutely not going to complain about it, because NRS listened to the majority and they stated they'd prefer one universal input. I think after about a week or so of play, everyone will be used to the new Amplify system.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Actually NRS said at the start that this wasn’t final and that they were still playing with it. I think when people say ‘NRS listened’, they’re usually not taking into account that developers are also real people with differing opinions, who make plenty of their own observations about what they like/don’t like and will act accordingly.

16 bit also isn’t a gameplay designer :confused:
Of course, i wasn't trying to discredit the dev team, I just like the romantic thought of NRS keeping a close eye on the community and observing how we react to new things then change them accordingly.

As for 16bit, am actually confused about him. I know he's a senior QA but in the kombat kast he keep saying "i gave this (x) character that (y) special and this (z) string" Which imply he's part of the design team as well or at least he have a strong influence on character design even if he's not doing the hard labour himself.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
They need to make the amplify button stance switch. The reason block is bad is if you whiff a special move and the opponent is coming at you and you block the amplify could happen if you press block to early. The same thing could possibly happen if your next to an interactable.

Why not make it a button that people rarely ever use? Or why doesn't NRS just get rid of this useless button and make characters auto turn facing the camera like every other fighting game?
Because L2 is much more awkward to use mid-combo.