What's new

Question - Outlaw Am I supposed to just die to the command grab?

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Those reaction tests should always be taken with a pinch of salt though, usually they only revolve around one thing in an environment where all other variables are removed. That is never the case when playing in fighting game tournament.

They test your reactions to a single variable in a controlled environment, playing in a tournament match in a fighting game couldn't be further from that.

Banazama

Noob
Holy fuck my reactions are horrible. Maybe I need to rethink my interest in fighting games.
The test is harder if you aren't familiar with Guilty Gear. And it's not like reaction times are the be-all-end-all. Don't get too down about it.

Those reaction tests should always be taken with a pinch of salt though, usually they only revolve around one thing in an environment where all other variables are removed. That is never the case when playing in fighting game tournament.

They test your reactions to a single variable in a controlled environment, playing in a tournament match in a fighting game couldn't be further from that.
The point of the Milia test was to disprove all the people claiming to block her overheads on reaction. People have reported to have subpar scores in the the controlled test. So no way is anyone going to be a reaction-blocking god in a real match.

On the other hand though. If all the opponent does is the one fast move, then it's going to be easier to block.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
They should increase the startup frames on his command grab to something more reactable.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
If you can't react to it every time then you aren't really reacting. You are guessing.

Someone put up a very good 'test' awhile back. It was testing your reaction time but it wasn't as simple as seeing a red dot turn green. It was seeing the arrow on a keyboard and hitting them as fast as possible and gave you the frames per second you reacted to. Damn I wish I could find it.
Many, many times I've said that people greatly overstate their reaction time.

And everytime i have, i get told that i don't know what I'm talking about.

This is the community that reacts to 15 frame overheads and fuzzies MK9 Scorpion vortex. If you believe everything that gets posted.

MK_Al

Noob
Many, many times I've said that people greatly overstate their reaction time. And everytime i have, i get told that i don't know what I'm talking about. This is the community that reacts to 15 frame overheads and fuzzies MK9 Scorpion vortex. If you believe everything that gets posted.
I think people are just confusing things. There's a difference in

- raw reacting to something random
- raw reacting to either one of two known options
- reacting to something anticipaded

InFlames

dead
like i mentioned in the tym chat, make all his hits on 21122 super plus on block.

bye bye tick throws and hello marksman buffs :]

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
Holy fuck my reactions are horrible. Maybe I need to rethink my interest in fighting games.
@DangerousBacon I certainly hope that your post was made in jest, because I wouldn't want anyone to feel discouraged about competitive fighting games simply due to a reaction time test. With training, you can improve your reaction time. And if you hit a wall, start thinking of new ways to avoid bad situations in game, and spend more time learning to make good reads against your opponent's 50/50 or 75/25. It is still hard, but not impossible. Learn to be an offensive powerhouse and never give them the time to attack, which seems to be where MKX is at right now.

I have okay execution and okay reaction time. I am not great at either one, but I play and organize for competitive fighting games to better myself and my gameplay. Never give up!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I actually got 20.3 once. But the rest were about 24. My reactions are probably my biggest weakness in FGs in general.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Erron Black is loaded with tough to block combos. You just gotta learn how to block them one at a time in practice mode. Then, just guess and keep it fuzzy.

I haven't had a ton of success against him online, but I at least feel like I know what to do. I never feel lost. Block his and make him deal with mine.

I can at least tell the good Erron Blacks from the crappy ones.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
As seen by this thread, nobody is coming close to sub-20 frame reaction times. This also takes into account that everyone is doing the test in the comfort of their homes with 0 pressure, and people are cherry picking their best score.

It's a mixup and you have to make a read to get out. More important to focus on not being in that situation in the first place than trying to react to unseeable attacks.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
There's another option that no one seems to be mentioning. In Toryuken 4 top 8 Reo vs Gunshow, Reo would sometimes take the last hit of 21122 to get knocked away for minimal damage and would not have to guess between grab, sand grenade, etc. Obviously your opponent could read that you will do this and just cancel sand grenade at 2112, but its another viable option that you should think about. The grab combos after the final 2, but if they cancel with sand grenade you get out of pressure and EB wastes a bar of meter.

There's another option that no one seems to be mentioning. In Toryuken 4 top 8 Reo vs Gunshow, Reo would sometimes take the last hit of 21122 to get knocked away for minimal damage and would not have to guess between grab, sand grenade, etc. Obviously your opponent could read that you will do this and just cancel sand grenade at 2112, but its another viable option that you should think about. The grab combos after the final 2, but if they cancel with sand grenade you get out of pressure and EB wastes a bar of meter.
That would be work, but only if they go through with the entire combo. They can cancel a few different places within that block string.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Then he could just start canceling earlier in the string.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Then he could just start canceling earlier in the string.
Of course, it's just another option and good to know. I didn't say it was some ground breaking get-out-of-jail-free-card tech.

It's another question to ask yourself when playing the guessing game. Where has he canceled in the past? What does he normally cancel into? Does he have meter for grenade? Does he want chip damage? - if he wants chip, and has meter, you can make a pretty good bet he will finish the string into EX grenade.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
16 frames is not reactable, especially in a pressured environment where the attacker has multiple options
Here is a great write up on Reaction times and how they relate to fighting games. I suggest everybody have a read.

http://ki.infil.net/reaction.html

It is possible to react to 16 frame start up move, but you basically have to be expecting it, and ready to react to it. But talkes about how your head is full of other shit too so it makes it tough to react to certain things in certain games.

Last edited: