What's new

"Alternate Controls" returning for Mortal Kombat X

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Some of you stick users seem to have never played charge characters. I stopped using alternate controls because they changed back forward motions into half circle motions and these half circle motions overlapped with to many quarter circle motions most characters possessed. Also, I can't remember, but didn't going from crouch block into b1 always give a special instead in alternate controls? I can't remember because NRS games always taught me to go back to neutral before entering any subsequent inputs.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
for those including myself... can you explain what "alternate control" means? I don't think I've ever had to use it..
Alternate controls was something added in Injustice Gods among us. The default Controls were MK style. So Down Back Light to do specials as an example. With alt controls on it changes it to street fighter style. So it would be Down Half Circle Back to do the same move instead. Hope that helps.

Indecisive

Some of you stick users seem to have never played charge characters. I stopped using alternate controls because they changed back forward motions into half circle motions and this half circle motions overlapped with to many quarter circle motions most characters possessed. Also, I can't remember, but didn't going from crouch block into b1 always give a special instead in alternate controls? I can't remember because NRS games always taught me to go back to neutral before entering any subsequent inputs.
It was normal controls that had that glitch.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
It was normal controls that had that glitch.
It was both actually now that I remember. On stick, as I think most stick players did initially, I used to block using down block. It was a habit obtained from years of playing any fighting games without a block buttons. So if I blocked as down back it registers as down and down back. So going into back one after crouch blocking gave quarter circle back 1. Crouch blocking by not going to down back but to down was too hard of a habit to break and one of the reasons I switched over to hitbox.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As a stick user I have a question.

Good friend of mine played injustice with me prior to launch as store broke street date. He plays with Grundy but use to always complain that his stick registered moves when he came out of ducking.

I don't know much about injustice but what setting did u use as he tried both. If it means anything he's a street fighter player
Did he had release check off for injustice? because as far as i know in SF the inputs regist window isn't that big compared to NRS games.

Indecisive

DANCE PARTY! (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' - ')^

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
There's no reason to not just leave that as back-forward, though. Alternate controls are there to help prevent accidental inputs and moves people don't intend to do, but generally you're not in any terrible danger of a flubbed back-forward.
This is exactly what I thought in Injustice. The whole point of alternate controls is to prevent accidental inputs, so it makes sense to change down forward to a qcf motion, but back forword inputs are not generally something that someone would do on accident. It was so annoying to do half circle motions.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
If they're going to use half circle motions to replace b,f motions they should at least make it more forgiving like in Capcom games. In injustice you have to hit every point but in SF games you can hit 4 of the 5 iirc.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
I thought the point of alternate controls was because injustice used back-to-block instead of a block button. Now that we have a block button again it seems kind of pointless. I won't be using it but I guess I'm happy it's there for people that want it.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Regarding what you added to the first post to try to clarify what alt controls do: it actually doesn't help anyone at all because it's worded wrong.

Alt controls change Mortal Kombat d,b and d,f motions to QUARTER-circles not half-circles. It was b,f motions that were (inexplicably) changed to half circle motions. Might want to correct that to avoid any confusion.

Indecisive

Regarding what you added to the first post to try to clarify what alt controls do: it actually doesn't help anyone at all because it's worded wrong.

Alt controls change Mortal Kombat d,b and d,f motions to QUARTER-circles not half-circles. It was b,f motions that were (inexplicably) changed to half circle motions. Might want to correct that to avoid any confusion.
I mean. If you look you will see it says Quarter Circle. ;)