What's new

"Alternate Controls" returning for Mortal Kombat X

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
For those who do not know, "Alternate controls" was something added in Injustice Gods Among Us. The default controls were Mortal Kombat style. Meaning, "Down, Back, Light" to do specials as an example. With "alternate controls" on, it changes it to Street Fighter style. So, it would be "Down, Quarter-Circle, Back" to do the same move instead. Hope that helps everyone understand what it means!

And these controls are confirmed (this link) to be returning in Mortal Kombat X!
https://twitter.com/NetherRealm/status/580401474477395968

(how it looks in Injustice: Gods Among Us)
alt.png
photo credit: mk-x.org
edited/promoted by STORMS*

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Paulo posted here on TYM that they mentioned on one of the streams that it has returned.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This makes playing with Sticks even more accessible and less supcetible to negative edge, good shit.

Having the Feeling that being a fullstick user might actually turn out to be good with MK for the first time for me.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
It would be great if the alternate controls settomg was split into two options - one to turn df/db into qcf/qcb and the other to turn bf/fb into hcf/hcb.
Hmm, alternate alternate controls... But where does it end?!?!

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Sorry for the noob question, but the glossary I usually consult for fighting game terminology didn't have it. What are alternate controls?

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Sorry for the noob question, but the glossary I usually consult for fighting game terminology didn't have it. What are alternate controls?
Alternate controls was something added in Injustice Gods among us. The default Controls were MK style. So Down Back Light to do specials as an example. With alt controls on it changes it to street fighter style. So it would be Down Half Circle Back to do the same move instead. Hope that helps.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Soooo, the same as Injustice, you can use circle inputs if you want. Perfect for an fullstick user like me. The more options we have the better for players

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Alternate controls was something added in Injustice Gods among us. The default Controls were MK style. So Down Back Light to do specials as an example. With alt controls on it changes it to street fighter style. So it would be Down Half Circle Back to do the same move instead. Hope that helps.
Yeah that helps a lot. Now I see why the stick players on this thread seemed so happy. I assumed it just meant custom button mapping or something. Thanks.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
This makes playing with Sticks even more accessible and less supcetible to negative edge, good shit.

Having the Feeling that being a fullstick user might actually turn out to be good with MK for the first time for me.
As a stick user I have a question.

Good friend of mine played injustice with me prior to launch as store broke street date. He plays with Grundy but use to always complain that his stick registered moves when he came out of ducking.

I don't know much about injustice but what setting did u use as he tried both. If it means anything he's a street fighter player

Last edited:

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
There's no reason to not just leave that as back-forward, though. Alternate controls are there to help prevent accidental inputs and moves people don't intend to do, but generally you're not in any terrible danger of a flubbed back-forward.
Alternate controls are just that though, alternatives to the usual inputs. If you change one, you have to change them all.
They probably could If they wanted to, but it makes sense and I see nothing wrong with the motion.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I didn't see this on TYM so i figured I would post it. I know its in the wrong section but I no idea if there is a genral discussion sort of area for MKX news and I had trouble finding something of that sort. So if a Mod wants to Change the location that would be great. Here is confirmation. So stick/Alt control players rejoice. *Edit* I found where to put it. But no reason to make a new thread. :p.
https://twitter.com/NetherRealm/status/580401474477395968

@STORMS
@RM JagoBlake
@Other Mods that care.
for those including myself... can you explain what "alternate control" means? I don't think I've ever had to use it..

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
As a stick user I have a question.

Good friend of mine played injustice with me prior to launch as store broke street date. He plays with Grundy but use to always complain that his stick registered moves when he came out of ducking.

I don't know much about injustice but what setting did u use as he tried both. If it means anything he's a street fighter player
He probably left release check on.