What's new

Air-blast as an anti AA move to ensure safe jump ins.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Ok so i was messing around with Ermac yesterday and i though of something really simple but very effective. I was thinking of how to deal against AA attacks when done outside of sweep range after a jump in. And then it came to me. Simply do a jk to air-blast. Note that i have only tested it in practice mode and NOT against a real opponent. That will have to wait until Sunday. But i really believe that it can work against almost any normal AA's (and probably KL's spin ?) done from further than sweep range. What do you guys think ? Care to discuss ?

Props to Konqrr for giving me the idea after a discussion i had with him the other day.

EDIT: Same applies with a jp ofc.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
How much damage does the JK~blast do if it hits ? If its only a few % i would still go for the AA as it can lead to 30% and up, if you were sonya though, risking it to get hit by 40% combo is not my kind of gamble!

NKZero

Noob
I was messing around with this as well a while back and it creates nice push back on block. what's the frame data for this move? also you can do an instant air air-blast when you jump back defensively. it really is a great tool and will allow Ermac a lot more future jump-ins...

What about against a zoner specifically Noob Saibot, or others who can outzone Ermac?(Or maybe I just don't understand how you intend to use it. If so please explain it to me?) The only real time I use this move is when I can't create space through pokes and sweeps ,so I jump backwards and it works as said opponent is always someone rushing down on me. If an opponent is blocking though and you do a jip/jk air blast is does push back too.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
How much damage does the JK~blast do if it hits ? If its only a few % i would still go for the AA as it can lead to 30% and up, if you were sonya though, risking it to get hit by 40% combo is not my kind of gamble!
No no let me make it clear. Doing the air-blast is a possible counter-measure to avoid getting hit by the opponent's AA. Check this scenario to understand what i mean. We are facing each other at almost sweep range. I jump in and you do a backdash, to cause my jk to whiff and go for an AA2 for example. If i just do a jk i will get AA'ed. But if i do a jk to air-blast, then the air-blast will hit you and i will avoid being AA'ed. Its like the title said. Anti AA measure. Its not about how much dmg air-blast does. Its about avoiding getting AA'ed.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
What about against a zoner specifically Noob Saibot, or others who can outzone Ermac?(Or maybe I just don't understand how you intend to use it. If so please explain it to me?) The only real time I use this move is when I can't create space through pokes and sweeps ,so I jump backwards and it works as said opponent is always someone rushing down on me. If an opponent is blocking though and you do a jip/jk air blast is does push back too.
Totally agreed with this post. Air-blast is a great counter-measure against rush-down character when they are at footsies range. Also the IAB is very good against happy d4 characters (yeah i m talking to you Sonya and Mileena) cause it can punish their d4. But its very hard to master it and pull it consistently in matches (but i intend to do that :p). Yes i forgot to add that this strategy is most useful against characters who prefer to rush down and punish your jump ins. Not useful against Noob.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
No no let me make it clear. Doing the air-blast is a possible counter-measure to avoid getting hit by the opponent's AA. Check this scenario to understand what i mean. We are facing each other at almost sweep range. I jump in and you do a backdash, to cause my jk to whiff and go for an AA2 for example. If i just do a jk i will get AA'ed. But if i do a jk to air-blast, then the air-blast will hit you and i will avoid being AA'ed. Its like the title said. Anti AA measure. Its not about how much dmg air-blast does. Its about avoiding getting AA'ed.
Yes but if i start to respect your air blast that does like say 10% (made that up) then i am allowing you to get free jump ins which lead to chip damage, meter gain, pressure, and takes away the possibility of my own AA combo hitting you for 30%.

If it does 40% (sonya) then i HAVE to respect it. But if you are only doing say 5-10% then i can perhaps not respect it as much and go for the AA in the hope that you are commiting to a jump in.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yes but if i start to respect your air blast that does like say 10% (made that up) then i am allowing you to get free jump ins which lead to chip damage, meter gain, pressure, and takes away the possibility of my own AA combo hitting you for 30%.

If it does 40% (sonya) then i HAVE to respect it. But if you are only doing say 5-10% then i can perhaps not respect it as much and go for the AA in the hope that you are commiting to a jump in.
Yeah but if my suspicions are correct then you will always get hit by the air-blast. So in the end it could be a mixup. When Ermac jumps you have two choices. Either try and AA and get air-blasted in the face (air-blast on hit has a +21f advantage) or block which will result on a free jump in for Ermac. Its a safe 50/50 situation. The only way i can see this failing is by either not it being consistent or the use of armored moves. I will have a clear answer for that this Sunday though, i just thought to post it today hoping someone that has a friend can test it and post back the results. But i m pretty sure it works though.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Yeah but if my suspicions are correct then you will always get hit by the air-blast. So in the end it could be a mixup. When Ermac jumps you have two choices. Either try and AA and get air-blasted in the face (air-blast on hit has a +21f advantage) or block which will result on a free jump in for Ermac. Its a safe 50/50 situation. The only way i can see this failing is by either not it being consistent or the use of armored moves. I will have a clear answer for that this Sunday though, i just thought to post it today hoping that someone that has a friend can test it and post back the results. But i m pretty sure it works though.
Yeah i have no doubt its a mixup, but if the damage/pressure situation is more favourable than a free jump in + pressure then i would let you JK airblast me while i try to AA because its a good trade, and i dont have to respect it.

Where as if it is lots of damage and pressure, then i might be more scared to commit to the AA and give away free jump in punches.

Which one is it, im asking ?

If its a 50/50 then do i want to give up my 50% chance of hitting you for 30-40% in an AA because im scared of eating a 10% airblast, or is it a much worse situation and i should be respecting the air blast and letting you have the jump ins?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yeah i have no doubt its a mixup, but if the damage/pressure situation is more favourable than a free jump in + pressure then i would let you JK airblast me while i try to AA because its a good trade, and i dont have to respect it.

Where as if it is lots of damage and pressure, then i might be more scared to commit to the AA and give away free jump in punches.

Which one is it, im asking ?

If its a 50/50 then do i want to give up my 50% chance of hitting you for 30-40% in an AA because im scared of eating a 10% airblast, or is it a much worse situation and i should be respecting the air blast and letting you have the jump ins?
Both are in Ermac's favor. If you get hit by an air-blast Ermac is at +21f which means i can still dash in or jump and pressure you. No, what i meant by 50/50 was that you dont know what to expect after Ermac jumps on you. Whatever happens both situations favor Ermac, cause if my theory stands, then this will work all the time.

EDIT: If you block the air-blast i m safe and back at footsies range where i can start checking you again or backdash and go to TKP range.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Both are in Ermac's favor. If you get hit by an air-blast Ermac is at +21f which means i can still dash in or jump and pressure you. No, what i meant by 50/50 was that you dont know what to expect after Ermac jumps on you. Whatever happens both situations favor Ermac, cause if my theory stands, then this will work all the time.

EDIT: If you block the air-blast i m safe and back at footsies range where i can start checking you again or backdash and go to TKP range.
Thats all i needed to hear then, this isnt just a gimmick that is going to try make people respect jump kicks and give away free jump in pressure. What is the air blast on block btw? Is there any range where it wont be safe?

zaf

professor
airblast is +-0 on block. so you are safe and can usually do a tkp/tks if someone rushes in after.
if they respect the iafb on block, you can grab or do something.

this is really good on its own, you dont necessarily need the jik for this to be effective.
even when this does hit someone, the damage doesn't matter. the use of this to keep people respecting
the jump in is why this is used. also you do put them into a small stagger state when it hits.

also, if you are at sweep range where a jump would result in a crossover, do an iafb.
you do usually hit them on block and it does confuse them.
if they block it, you have enough space to land and do another iafb if they rush in, and use it to create even more space

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
I'be been using air blast as an anti-anti-air for a while now, and i've found good success with it online. It will stuff most normal AA's but doesnt work against some of the better, long range AA's like Jade's b2, Noob's upshadow and Sub's 22.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This is extremely obnoxious and good, especiallly when used as a crossup.

MOE30W does this to me all the time, works very well.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
This is extremely obnoxious and good, especiallly when used as a crossup.

MOE30W does this to me all the time, works very well.
Yes its very good as a cross-up option too. It creates good spacing for Ermac's d3 and d4 or another air-blast.

zaf

professor
i do have a local quan player. quan has a good aa upprtcut and my friend never misses this.

now when i jump in with airblast i beat out his uppercut and i can dash in and get a string started.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk

zaf

professor
like metzos said, on block this makes good space for d4/d3.
i have a video showing this being done. i have it with almost perfect iafb, which means hes barely even leaving the ground. the d3 after is really fast

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Are you guys considering perform air blast assuming that opponent will perform an anti air with a basic attack or special move to counter your jump in, right ?

No doubt its a good thing and its worthy no other than 50/50 gameplay chance, but if an opponent is expecting you to do air blasts at close to push him back on block you can risk getting countered during jump start up with punch or kick to some other moves, like kung lao's jkick to dkick.
Or armor moves to catch you up like Rain's Ex Roundhouse, etc.

There is also the oportunity of dash trough and provoke off-set while your character is performing air blast, and i'm not 100% if ermac misses an air blast it will be safe move for him.

But nice sharing, i'm not an Ermac player, but my opponents around here play alot with him ^^
This is the same with some other characters who could deal with this similar game to escape anti air or to counter it, like kitana's air fans or square wave, kabal's gas blasts, or skarlet's low knifes and sindel's fire balls.

unless you guys try to perform it like an instant move at very close range, this will definately force oponnents on block and the time to think about countering will be pretty short