What's new

Zatanna's trait...useless?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Although her trait does provide nice chip, the face that she can't block, jump, as well as her speed overrall makes it pointless. Sure she has armor on the lightning rod and the projectile absorb helps but an easy trade or hit from her opponent ends it. Yes I am aware she can teleport in trait but why would you teleport closer to your opponent? If you teleport away it she can easily get hit or your opponent gets a near free get in with a few dashes even if you spend meter cause you will be forced to block. The only thing that makes it "decent" is she can use it in combos to build more meter but lose damge. :\
What has been your guy's experience with the trait?

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
So easy to bait rushed decisions with it. I've noticed people do stupid/impatient things to try and stop you from using it.

It's chip is awesome, projectiles are plus on block and hat's meter building is incredible. It requires thought to use, it's not a "fire-and-forget" sort of trait. Definitely not useless.

I think one important point is that Zatanna can still block, it just knocks her out of her trait. So on the one hand it is true that she can't block in trait, but on the other hand it isn't like she is a sitting duck who is just wide open. She isn't free if someone gets up next to her. Add in that she has the lightning move if someone gets up on her and the move to absorb projectiles. So, she'd probably only block if someone was right up on her, in which case she might want to be out of trait anyways.

In his video REO said that he thought that there'd be some characters where Z's trait would be really useful and some matches where she wouldn't want to use it at all. It might be helpful if we thought about which characters Z's trait would be good against and which ones it would be bad against.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
It might be a good idea to end combos with that large fireball (forgot what the move's called...it's the MB version of flamethrower), & while non-teleporting opponents are stuck respecting the fireball you can go into trait & build meter.

You have to remember something. This is a character we've been playing for 3 days... well 2 and a half to 1 and a half or less for some people. Now when you fight online. You're going up against people who have had their character for MONTHS. So expecting INSTANT gratification is illogical. After a couple months then you can make your decisions on what is useless and what isn't.

But her lightning shield in her Trait stance is god like with its armor. It makes the Doomsday MU a lot better once you push his big ass out.

It's super risk/reward, although not so good if your at full meter. I swear nothing will feel better than outplaying with trait 5/5 back to back hits :)

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Its like Cyborg's and Slade's trait; they seem amazing, but you are never in a situation to use it effectively.

Although her trait does provide nice chip, the face that she can't block, jump, as well as her speed overrall makes it pointless. Sure she has armor on the lightning rod and the projectile absorb helps but an easy trade or hit from her opponent ends it. Yes I am aware she can teleport in trait but why would you teleport closer to your opponent? If you teleport away it she can easily get hit or your opponent gets a near free get in with a few dashes even if you spend meter cause you will be forced to block. The only thing that makes it "decent" is she can use it in combos to build more meter but lose damge. :\
What has been your guy's experience with the trait?​

So let me get this straight...... you run down a list of reasons why it's NOT useless. In fact. You run down reasons why it has some worth.

Yet, you still say it's "pointless"?

So.... what you're saying is..... because you have to actually plan a means of attack (AKA LEARN YOUR FUCKING CHARACTER AND THEIR MATCHUPS) it's "pointless/useless"?

Tell you what..... don't use it then. How about that? You can't find anything. You can't think past "DUR! ME NO JUMP! HOW DO I GET AWAY?!" Then just don't use trait. Problem solved.

Although, I'd love it if someone made a thread dedicated to Suit & Tie Strats, instead of Suit & Tie Whines or Suit & Tie, Too Good? threads.

Damn. Does anybody here know of a such thing as a happy medium? Everything can't be "OMG! BROKEN! OP!" and if it isn't "WTF?! THIS SHIT BLOWS! BOTTOM TIER!". Especially after 3 friggin days.

So let me get this straight...... you run down a list of reasons why it's NOT useless. In fact. You run down reasons why it has some worth.

So.... what you're saying is..... because you have to actually plan a means of attack (AKA LEARN YOUR FUCKING CHARACTER AND THEIR MATCHUPS) it's "pointless/useless"?

Tell you what..... don't use it then. How about that? You can't find anything. You can't think past "DUR! ME NO JUMP! HOW DO I GET AWAY?!" Then just don't use trait. Problem solved.

Although, I'd love it if someone made a thread dedicated to Suit & Tie Strats, instead of Suit & Tie Whines or Suit & Tie, Too Good? threads.

Damn. Does anybody here know of a such thing as a happy medium? Everything can't be "OMG! BROKEN! OP!" and if it isn't "WTF?! THIS SHIT BLOWS! BOTTOM TIER!". Especially after 3 friggin days.

You haven't been at church recently. Our replacement preachers can't make good speeches

It's good against maybe 5 characters of the cast who have no projectiles or very linear projectiles. My main problem with the trait is that from mid to full screen she has no attack that reaches at jump height (which is dumb since the trait is solely for zoning), any character can just jump closer or away for free. Lobo for example can just jump over whatever she throws and do his low chain grab from half screen away which she can not block. Extra chip and meter is great if you can land a hit but lightning rod is her best tool.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
You have to remember something. This is a character we've been playing for 3 days... well 2 and a half to 1 and a half or less for some people. Now when you fight online. You're going up against people who have had their character for MONTHS. So expecting INSTANT gratification is illogical. After a couple months then you can make your decisions on what is useless and what isn't.

But her lightning shield in her Trait stance is god like with its armor. It makes the Doomsday MU a lot better once you push his big ass out.
Thank you sir for telling it like it is. These fucking people and their stupid ass expectations of a character.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.

This never was a tier discussion sir. I was pointing out flaws and positives to the trait and hopefully getting some information in these 3 days we have had her. I'm glad lightning rod has very quick recovery and has armor but the point still stands: it gets beat so easily.
The only thing I found good at all was using a MB fire kiss to cover you as you chip away at their life.
I am also very aware the character is still new so who knows what will happen in the future.
Although I kinda wish there was a way to get out of trait when you wanted to make yourself safe. :\
If there is please post it. :)

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
@DarksydeDash
Its useful against characters that have no teleport.

When full screen, MB fireball ... trait and do massive chip dmg and get free meter back.
Only downfall is MB fireball takes FOREVER to come out

For characters with teleports (ie scorpion, batgirl) you can bait their teleports with trait and full combo punish when blocked.
Against characters Ares and Zatanna, her trait is more risky cuz you don't know what they're going to do after.