What's new

Your top 7 most memorable MK characters

In terms of appearance, backstory and moveset animations, which five characters from the entire series really resonate with you the most? Remember that this is a personal list. And try to put them in order if possible. In order more or less, mine are:

1. Kung Lao (I never really played the character all that often in MK9, but everything about this monks design hits (or should I say slices) the nail on the head for sure. Blade edged hats for the Shaolin!)

2. Kabal: (Incredibly unique design, especially as the series progressed. Mained this guy in MK9. An execution nightmare that deformed my hands into that of a begging dog's.)

3. Kintaro (I don't know how many fans care for him. But I loved this dude in MK2 as a sub boss. Watching him stomp on people as a lad was terrifying. And I really dug the tiger like stripes.)

4. Sindel: (Very memorable look to her. In MK3 she reminded me of a goth chick with the leggings she had on. And those scream from MK3.... watch out.)

5. Shinnok: (A complete badass. I loved the awkward vibe he posed in MK4 along with his attire. Also that stomp move was nasty.)

6. Sareena (Yet another great female character design. The actress that played her in MK Mythologies was smokin hot for sure)

7. Fujin (What more can I say other than he's the god of wind? Although I liked both costumes from MK4 and Armageddon, I think the Armageddon one was more suitable.)

So that's mine. What is yours? And so you guys know, I started out with 5 at first, but it was too hard to make up my mind with just 5. So I went up to 7. This way you guys get some leeway in your decision making. I know it was pretty tough for me to try to put them in order, but there it is. Looking forward to everyone elses list.

And here's a roster pic from Armageddon in case you need the reference.

IROC

WP IROC
Scorpion pretty much influenced my love for mk ever since i saw him in the film as a kid in 1995. Then he was my guy in every single mk game made. Have alot of things in common with him. Absolute fav

The movie also influenced my love for reptile, but super dissapointed in his appearance in games. Only like ninja form

Ermac and sektor i loved so much in umk3 and mk9.

You will all hate me for it, but shoa kahn is pretty badass and describes my alter ego well. Love that beast

1.) Shaft. Cuz he's a bad mother... wait... I mean Darius, because he made no god damn sense but he had that "It Factor".

2.) Nitara Because after seeing the MKX gameplay, she seems to fit that whole fast/fluid/dynamic/new style. So I'd like to test that.

3.) Li Mei or Tanya I'll take either one. Different reasons for each, but I need crave want one of them.

4.) Ashrah... but since its 2D she could end up a Female Kung Lao with a sword and better projectile.

5.) Moloch and Drahmin (some sort of story boss). I know they probably won't be there and I know they don't even need to be there... but remember we NEVER... EVER Needed wanted HSU HAO

6.) Don Cheadle I mean Don Chi... Quan Cheadle? Close enough, but someone needs to put Shinnok in his place.

Scorpion pretty much influenced my love for mk ever since i saw him in the film as a kid in 1995. Then he was my guy in every single mk game made. Have alot of things in common with him. Absolute fav

The movie also influenced my love for reptile, but super dissapointed in his appearance in games. Only like ninja form

Ermac and sektor i loved so much in umk3 and mk9.

You will all hate me for it, but shoa kahn is pretty badass and describes my alter ego well. Love that beast
That's cool man. Out of all the ninjas, I would say Scorpion is the coolest. But to be 100% honest I'm not the biggest fan of them in MK as you can tell by my list. It's not that I don't like ninjas, I just think there needs to be more character variety in terms of archetypes.
And I hear a lot of people make that same comment about Reptile too. Nah man, I think there's a reason they put that bad ass atop a mountain in MK2. He was too mighty to be caged in a selection box lol! Would have added him but I had to end the list somewhere.

By the way did you draw that Scorpion in your avatar?

IROC

WP IROC
No i didnt draw that one. But when saw this pic somewhere, i had to use it lol. But yes im obviously a huge fan of the mk ninjas more than the rest

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Scorpion was my favorite character since I first played the game in 1995 eventhough it came out in 92' I was only 2 yrs old lol. But yeah, he is still a hero in my eyes in fighting games to this day.
2. Sub Zero
3. Kitana
4. Reptile
5. Ermac
6. Sektor
7. Kabal

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
1. Scorpion - I mean, how can he not be? The poster child, most detailed backstory, his rivalry with Sub-Zero, his catchphrase, his appearance, and so on.

2. Sub-Zero - Same as Scorpion, really. When you think "Mortal Kombat," these two characters almost instantly appear in your head; they're almost synonymous with the words. Also the only MK character to appear in every game ever.

3. Shao Kahn - This guy is a fucking asshole. He won't stfu when you fight him, and is absolutely brutal. One of the most challenging bosses I ever encountered as a child. It was ridiculous. He is undoubtedly my favorite villain in the series because of his strength, personality, brutality, and tenacity. "YOU SUCK!"

4. Raiden - The OG God in the series. His appearance and lightning/teleportation abilities are pretty damn iconic.

5. Liu Kang - May have a pretty bland design and personality, but this is THE Mortal Kombat champion/protagonist. He's dethroned Goro, defeated Shang Tsung, defeated Shao Kahn....TWICE, and defeated Shinnok. Nobody in the entire series has this character's feats. Most importantly, he's a human with strength that transcends gods, not a half-god like Taven, or an overpowered mess like Shujinko. Finally, who can forget his signature battle cries? I really wish they gave him more personality and a better appearance so he could have poster boy status.

6. Reptile and Smoke - Both are memorable for the same reason: they were hidden characters you needed to "unlock" to fight. Smoke was amazing because he was like Scorpion on speed or SSJ Scorpion, with that smoke replacing the aura. Reptile, on the other hand, bares my favorite color, and I saw him for the first time during the era where I was a Green Power Ranger fanboy.

7. Goro/Kintaro - These guys are memorable for their appearance alone, but each has their own unique qualities: Goro is the prince of the shokan and previous MK champion, and Kintaro is absolutely brutal. Kintaro's design actually frightened me when I was little; I don't understand why they ruined it by accentuating his tiger qualities later on, but he was terrifying in MK2.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
1. Johnny cage- really no explanation he is just legit.
2. Noob- he was weird character but was mysterious enough to make me want to play him. In mk9 I loved the shadow clones.
3. Reiko- I don't remember much about him but he felt like a less bs version of shao Kahn.
4. Motoro- the centaur version with 4 legs and all that. He was bull shit as a mini boss but he was super cool.
5. Ermac- I think the line "We are many, you are but one" sealed the deal but pretty much a character who was bs but was still awesome.
6. Smoke- preferably robot smoke. Idk robots are cool.
7. Mavado- I think I just like the trench coat.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Hmm... this should be fun... never really thought about who my favorites were all that much.

1. Sub-Zero - Ever since the first time I rented MK from the old video rental stores they use to have, I fell in love with this character. I was like, "OMG, I can freeze them and do shit for free!?!" He pretty much inspired my love of ice characters through all fictional universes. He has the badass ninja look (even though he's an assassin) and for a while was sort of an enigma which is always fun... sort of mysterious. If I could have some sort of power, I would be a cryomancer... no doubt! Plus, the only character to appear in ALL MK games? How... cool... is that? :p

2. Shang Tsung - I love his ability. To keep himself alive he HAS to steal the souls of his enemies. That's just a fucking awesome concept. Kinda pissed I missed out on playing him in the old days when he could actually morph into anyone. I really hope they don't leave him out of MKX as he has tons of opportunities to have AMAZING variations. Pretty much started liking Shang at the beginning of deadly alliance when he deceives Liu Kang and snaps his neck.

3. Raiden - Not much to say here other than he's the damn THUNDER GOD. Electricity (or lightning powers) has always been appealing to me for some reason... and I like the protect Earthrealm at all cost vibe that he usually has going.

4. Johnny Cage - Dude may be an asshat and completely obnoxious be he is one of those that I believe you could always count on in a pinch. He's the exact opposite of me in pretty much every way and sometimes I wish I could be and act that way (confidence, crazy, etc)... annnnnd all that was probably a little tmi, my bad! And who doesn't like him switching shades and saying "oh yea" when he wins. I find myself saying it when I win with him online. lmao

5. Ermac - I know, I know... he's a palette swap error, so even worse than a palette swap. But IMO he has one of those coolest backgrounds. He's a conglomeration of souls of hundreds of dead warriors... that alone makes him awesome. Had THE ABSOLUTE BEST intro line in MK9. "We are many. You are but one" ... LEGION. badass! Plus, ya know, telekinesis is also a pretty sick power and he taught kenshi how to use his abilites.

6. Cyrax/Sektor - I put these two together b/c you can't have one without the other amirite @PND_Mustard & @PND_Ketchup ? :p ... Anyway, I always loved cyrax's quest to return his soul and return to human form and love the dark/evil feel (and even look) of Sektor. He is a ruthless badass that will stop at nothing to reach his goals (dude killed his own father!)

7. Kenshi - The only post UMK3 character to make my list is Kenshi. Dude is fucking blind and still kicks ass... how awesome is that? He uses telekinesis (his mind) to fight and that's weird, but sweet, concept for a fighter. Plus he uses my absolute favorite weapon type (a Katana/Samurai style sword)!

Honorary Mention: Ashrah... I just thought her story was unique and ironic in that she's a demon from the netherrealm who found a holy sword that cleansed her spirit of evil every time she killed a demon. So she was a demon... that became a demon hunter. Sort of like Blade the vampire hunter and I think he's pretty cool. She also has the look of my kind of woman... dark haired and mysterious. Unfortunately, that costume holds her off of my top 7 list. I just can't deal with that atrocity. lmao

EDIT: Holy shit, mine's the longest... did I take that too seriously? lol

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Ermac: He's badass. I mean come on...he's created from the souls of other warriors. I love his Middle Eastern-inspired costume design too. It's like if there was an Aladdin movie that was rated R he would be the genie.

Cyrax: The most broken character in fighting game history to not be top tier. Drops his combo...only does 47%. Also +1 for Jamaican. Chicks dig Jamaican robots.

Mileena: The most dangerous whore of all time.

Noob: Best name for a character in any video game....ever. Awesome fatalities too. My favorite one is when his shadow pulls you through the portal in the ground & it closes, cutting you in half. I love his laugh between rounds.

Shao Kahn: Two words....You suck!

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
1. Li Mei

She was my first true main and brought me into MK competitively

2. Quan Chi

Cuz he made me famous

3. Baraka

Cause hes manly, my MK2 "main" when i was a kid

4. Shang Tsung

Cause hes so deliciously evil

5. Onaga

Cause hes a badass boss. Way better than Kahn

6. NItara

Cause she was a badass vampire

7. Blaze

cause he was an OG from MK2

Error

DF2+R2
1-5. Ermac - The character that made me fall in love with MK. I first played him in MKT at an arcade. Honestly, the thing that made me like him was his sparkly projectile lol. I've stuck with him ever since though and I love how he's developed. Hopefully he won't lose to a fish character like Stryker in MKX's story, he's the fucking king of Edenia + everyone else who Shao Kahn has roflstomped in one. NRS pls.

6. Rain - I like the color purple, and also I have a very vivid childhood memory of me accidentally hitting my friend with Rain's lightning, although we didn't know it was actually his attack. It was so subtle in MKT it looked like part of the stage.

7. Noob Saibot - The fact that he was almost invisible in the old games was awesome, and his latest Nethereal/Chaosrealm shenanigans have been nothing short of badass.

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
1. Scorpion: The MK OG, the GOAT memorable character in any fighting franchise. Encompasses everything great about the living dead and the demon world. The role model for hellish ghouls getting revenge on those they perceive as doing them wrong. The spit-fire fatality is a classic. Pulling his mask off and showing his true form (a specter). He was a VERY good player in MK Trilogy; MK9; MK Armageddon which are in my mind the three pillars of the MK franchise. MK2 is cool too but MK Armageddon outshines it cause it came way later and introduced the franchise to a new generation. His signature move Spear is classic for "Get over here," "Come here," or if we want to get violent with our language "Get the fuck over here (via MK: Shaolin Monks). Fire melts ice, so fuck Sub-Zero!!

2. Johnny Cage: The true asshole. The guy who has been getting his ass licked for being a movie star for a period of his life enlarging his ego to unfathomable levels. He loves himself so much that he takes no criticism seriously (movie doesn't count). Even has so much passion for himself that he tattoos his name on his chest! His signature "Nut Punch" is such a deviant move and goes against guy code, but Johnny doesn't care cause it aint his nuts that are being punched!! So egotistical that he thinks just cause his name is widely known that any female should be starry eyed over him (Sonya) and is clueless and oblivious to why they don't jump at him at first sight. His signature "Shadow Kick" is one of the most popular moves in any fighting game. Remember, people think he uses special effects (via his green sperm ball shots), but he is the special effects!

3. Kano: The low life deviant thug who has no morals. Stays true to himself only, and is an opportunistic leech who hops on every opportunity to further himself in the world (whether it's riches, safety or to climb up rank). Killed Sonya Blade's partner from the Special Forces and she is still obsessed with him (both sexually and for revenge). He is the best criminal in the history of the world, does anything he wants (killings, theft, statutory rape etc.) and has yet to be caught/incarcerated by EARTHREALM law enforcement. He swings knives the size of Shaquille O'Neal's legs and can roll himself up into a hairy nut-sack cannonball to barrage his opponent with. His hair is the same texture as porcupine needles so when the ball hits it really hurts!! In MK9 they added vulgar taunting to him with his constant demeaning of his opponent via calling him/her/it a "bitch." The true thug who bows down to nobody except those who can put him in harms way (via Shao Kahn). But will never be empty in the head to take the first opportunity to take the stronger competition out (like Shao Kahn poisoning Onaga).

4. Shang Tsung: A soul snatching human who learned the black arts from the Emperor himself (Shao Kahn). Unknown past before uniting with Shao Kahn which makes him even more mystique and devious. A stealer of souls which help to increase his powers makes him a potentially impossible combatant to victor against. He is addicted to the power increase with each soul stolen so that is the motivation behind his blood-lust. He prefers to use diversion and cunning mind-games to bait those he sees as respectfully powerful but at the same time unable to beat him in a duel to the death. He prefers stronger victims compared to weaker ones because the stronger fighters give him a greater power increase. So liked by Shao Kahn that he was forgiven for dying before OUTWORLD won 10 straight Mortal Kombat tournaments against EARTHREALM. His ability to shape-shift makes him a even more deadly threat. Able to look and act exactly like anyone makes him the perfect copy-cat as well as the perfect candidate to manipulate anyone he chooses.

5. Reptile: A tiny reptile-like creature whom uses human statues to host his body and take over the structure as a humanoid fighter which appears to be human. His race of Raptors were perception-ally deleted from his realm by an unknown cause (most likely Shao Kahn's extermination squads). A lone survivor he was taken under Shang Tsung's wings in order to spy on Shang Tsung's enemies (even spying periodically on the emperor himself while feeding information back to his master Shang Tsung). Throughout the years of the game his appearance has changed. MK1 he was the same as Scorpion/Sub-Zero. MK2 he had the same costume as Smoke/Noob Saibot/Scorpion/Sub-Zero but he had the fighting stance unlike any of the others. He also pulled his mask off to spit acid and perform one of his fatalities to expose his Reptillian facial structure. In UMK3 he had the same costume as the other ninjas; but again, a different fighting stance. In MK Trilogy he was the same as UMK3. In MK4 he was revealed more clearly as a Reptile with less illusions (via clothing/mask etc.). In MK Deadly Alliance he was a humanoid dinosaur, more dinosaur-like than in MK4/Gold, making people believe he was 'de-evolving' into a more primitive creature (less human-like). And MK Armageddon he was simply a Reptile wrapped in mummy wraps! In MK9 he was even more different but more humanoid than the previous two installments. The Reptile irony is that they say Reptiles have not changed for many years (in evolution) due to them reaching the pinnacle of survival traits for their lineage; yet, Reptile has changed the most out of any MK character! His self-loathing attitude fuels his motivation to keep breathing and have hope that his race will once again rise up!

6. Shao Kahn: 'Nuff said.

7. Blaze: Most broken playable MK character in the history of the franchise.

Got tired typing like a nerd with 1-5; so I was like fuck it with 6-7!