What's new

Question Your secondary, and why you play them.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
No thread like this, and I'm curious about why we play the characters we play in this game. Do you like them? Do they cover a weakness? What are the reasons you guys pocket who you pocket?

For me the only reason I pocket Mileena is because I used to main her, I'll probably be pocketing Cassie in favor of Johnny once I get the hang of running (shoot me, I'm a SF player first lol)

E

Eldriken

Unstoppable/Relentless Jason.

The main reason I ever decided to even give Jason a chance is because of the sound effects his special moves made in Unstoppable/Relentless. The sounds for choking, necks breaking, backs breaking, etc are all so well done.

It just so happened that I wound up thoroughly enjoying the character. It also helps that he got a slew of absolutely amazing buffs and Unstoppable is an insanely fun variation.

Sulfur

Unstoppable/Relentless Jason.

The main reason I ever decided to even give Jason a chance is because of the sound effects his special moves made in Unstoppable/Relentless. The sounds for choking, necks breaking, backs breaking, etc are all so well done.

It just so happened that I wound up thoroughly enjoying the character. It also helps that he got a slew of absolutely amazing buffs and Unstoppable is an insanely fun variation.
I've seen a couple dudes play Jason, I'd be lying if I said his moves aren't cool as hell.

E

Eldriken

I've seen a couple dudes play Jason, I'd be lying if I said his moves aren't cool as hell.
He also has some of the best Brutalities.

His Unstoppable-specific one and Relentless-specific one are effin' godlike. They're probably my two favorite ones in the game.

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
I use Johnny cage a bit, mainly because sub zero feels slow and it's nice to have a quick overhead. Mileena and kotal kahn are just plain cool and fun to play.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Idk they keep nerfing my mains.

Day one main GM Subz.
Then Summoner/Sorecer.
Then Tempest Lao.
Then Sektor... Etc etc.

At this point I play about 7 dif chars.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
secondary shinnok: Helps me take down Reptile's tough matchups
tertiary Johnny cage: Picked up because a friend thought he was less than viable (stunt double specific) proved him wrong - loved the mind games.
4th: Kung Jin (ancestral): zoning mixed with mind games - awesome conversions - at the time hadnt seen an ancestral player
5th: Scorpion: Was teaching a friend MKX basics. had alot of fun with scorpions conversions and hellfire pressure.
6th: D'vorah: absolutely dominates the sub zero matchup (atleast for me)
7th: Kenshi (possessed): Saw potential in a character most people wrote off. After aweing a few KOTH's it was hard to stop.

I play 14 characters. I want to play the full vanilla roster. I only play the first 4 in tournaments. The full roster goal didn't begin until I had 10 characters and was gaining so much match up knowledge by playing the characters I fight. As someone who only plays MKX competitively I have time to spend with each character learning ins, outs, mixups, mind games, conversions, etc. Though I want to play the full roster I won't ever compete with anybody out of the first 4 and I play them much more often.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
My secondary is a three-way-tie between Gunslinger, Kenjutsu, and Spectral.
I've managed to have the most fun in ranked with these three variations.

This is also a really good thread, and it's hard to believe that no one has made this yet!

Edit: I like using Gunslinger because playing a character with a cowboy hat is just so badass
I play Spectral because flying is actually possible in this game, and I feel he's underused
Kenjutsu's recent parry buff is amazing and I've always loved parry characters (now I don't have to try Kotal Kahn :DOGE)

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
I main Scorpion (primarily Hellfire but I also use Ninjutsu)

My secondaries are:

Sub Zero Grandmaster
Triborg Smoke

I really tend to pick characters that I think look really cool aesthetically and as long as I enjoy their playstyle I generally stick with them. As for my secondaries in this game they were basically carry overs from MK9. I mained Smoke in MK9 so I had to pick him up when he was released and the first character that I learned in MK9 (basically brought me into the FGC and tournament play) was Sub Zero so Subby and the clone hold a special place in my FGC heart.

Sulfur

My secondary is a three-way-tie between Gunslinger, Kenjutsu, and Spectral.
I've managed to have the most fun in ranked with these three variations.

This is also a really good thread, and it's hard to believe that no one has made this yet!
Yeah I found it hard to believe too, ah well it's always fun starting fun lil' discussion threads like this.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
Main: Shinnok
2nd: Mystic Ermac
3rd: Ninjutsu Scorpion
4th: Stunt Double Johnny Cage
5th: I think im going to give spectral a shot.

The only reason why i picked these characters up is because they handle takeda pretty well. I hate takeda.

Sulfur

The only reason why i picked these characters up is because they handle takeda pretty well. I hate takeda.
You picked up 3 dudes just to kill Takeda? lol.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin

:DOGE

Landonio

n00b
Lord Sonyer (Covert Ops) and Sub (GM). Sub was my original main until he got his initial nerf, then I rocked it with Sonya until Kenshi got buffed last year. Kenjutsu Kenshi has been my main ever since.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
Well I picked them up for takeda. and I realized they fit my style. which is keeping control of the neutral game

Sulfur

You don't understand my hatred for Takeda man. I despise that character.
I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of his character but gameplay wise idk, he's not a huge problem (least when I used to play this game, haven't fight him in XL)

Hiyomoto

Noob
Online - Jacqui (all variations) because of her stagger, chip potential, high damage, and amazing walk speed. Great overall character.

Offline - Kotal or cut throat Kano because mixups and great footsie characters