What's new

Your opinion on MGS5 - too repetitive?

I'm not hating or sth like this but can somebody tell me if I'm missing something here? This game is literally NOTHING like the other MGS games. I've been playing it for about 15 hours now and aside from the prologue, there is absolutely no story whatsoever, the setting never changes, and the missions are almost all exactly the same. None of the villains have shown up since the prologue either, not even the slightest mention of anything that happened prior to going to Afghanistan. Wtf is so great about this game, it's just skulking around an unnecessarily huge and empty desert with nothing to do but sneak up on the exact same looking enemies over and over. I'm a big fan of MGS and stealth games in general but honestly I would give this game a 6/10 so far (maybe even a 5) compared to 3 and 4 which I would both give a 10. I can't believe I'm saying this but that last CoD game was more inventive than this.

Does anyone else feel like this?

On the side note I have never played Peacewalker before, but I have played all the other MGS games.
Why did MGS5's gameplay didn't keep going the way it started like in the prologue?

From what I've seen, this game is a technological marvel. That said, the story (which is hard to piece together for the franchise as a whole) is for fans of the franchise really. Just because this game gets 10/10 or 9/10 from review sources does not mean it's a game for you. 10/10 usually means not the best game of all time (because that's subjective), but a game that should be in everyone's library (think of keeping a bookshelf of books and everyone saying you've had to read the bible at least once or some Ernest Hemingway). The gameplay is pretty simple. If you're good at interrogating, sneaking, you should be good for most of the game. If you're bad at stealth elements, I would tell people to not pick this game up, as the game does score you based on how efficiently you complete the objective. But of course it has to be repetitive, that's what an espionage game is. You get the data, you use your surroundings or gadgets, you escape with the data. Repeat ad nauseum. Not to mention the environment, although large, is either desert, base, or tropic local, no huge interactable building I've seen.
Why did MGS5's gameplay didn't keep going the way it started like in the prologue?
tldr; This is Kojima's swan song title, so of course it has to be amazing to kick it off. He couldn't just keep the dial turned to 11 the entire game, there's not enough resources or writing to allow that. In a stealth game, there has to be down time to plot and think. The prologue was amazing and supernatural action packed, which is not stealth, and I think would upset most fans if the entire game was like that.

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Can we close this thread? How are you going to talk down on the story and pacing of mgs5 if you haven't played peace walker. You won't know most of the cast if you haven't played peace walker. This game is still a stealth game I go through most missions unseen and uncaught. Turn the reflex off if you want a stealth game and not an action game. Th3 games pacing is excellent and there's more stuff to it. The mystery of the villains are phenomenal since you never know when they'll show up such as the skull squad. The game isn't repetitive due to the many options in stealth that you have imo. All buddies are useful and mother base development is great. You won't appreciate it much if you haven't played peace walker or ground zeroes.
THIS IS ABOUT BIG BOSS NOT SOLID SNAKE SO THE ONLY THINGS YOULL KNOW IS FFROM. 3. while missing vital knowledge from peace walker.

Noob
This game falls in a seriously weird place, im a huge MGS fan and im loving every second of this game, if im being honest. The story of Big Boss i so much more appealing to me than Snakes, but truth be told the stody is quite segmented and snook in between all the missions so you might not notice when something of relevance is actually happening.

You tell me you have been playing for 15+hours and no mention of the villains or anything? thats quite peculiar, unless you have been doing just sidemissions and free roam you shouldv hit atleast 3 boss fights so far...

@TopTierHarley Dunno if i agree with your prespective... this, like any other MGS game provides you with 2 options, stealth or guns blazing... And honestly this game does Stealth 10+ better and with more realism than any of the previous iterations. I respect your opinion tho, i firmly feel this MGS is not for everyone, you will either love it or plain hate it...

As a fan of MGS and iv played every single MGS so far, i really feel the only true brilliant Metal Gears from Kojima are Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear solid 5... The others have stuff that brings them down alot... in MGS2 Raiden is probably the worse part of that game.. the setting and the hour long codec talks really make that game so boring to play and watch... and MGS4 unfortunally is a huge movie with little to no interesting gameplay to go with it...

Just as a sidenote, the Cassettes have events that Big Boss was not present to witness, thus they contain story, that doesnt directly influence the Boss´s Point of view. The Cassettes Replace the Huge Boring Codec talks of the previous games that many ppl felt where unnecessary 90% of the time, and im one such ppl that agree the optional cassettes are a better means of delivery than Codec Talks...

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I played some MSG before and I was interested in the game, so I checked this thread.

What I'm getting from these comments is that the story is too confusing to be stand alone, that they gameplay is repetitive and that's how stealth games are supposed to be. But it's 10/10 apparently.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
This game falls in a seriously weird place, im a huge MGS fan and im loving every second of this game, if im being honest. The story of Big Boss i so much more appealing to me than Snakes, but truth be told the stody is quite segmented and snook in between all the missions so you might not notice when something of relevance is actually happening.

You tell me you have been playing for 15+hours and no mention of the villains or anything? thats quite peculiar, unless you have been doing just sidemissions and free roam you shouldv hit atleast 3 boss fights so far...

@TopTierHarley Dunno if i agree with your prespective... this, like any other MGS game provides you with 2 options, stealth or guns blazing... And honestly this game does Stealth 10+ better and with more realism than any of the previous iterations. I respect your opinion tho, i firmly feel this MGS is not for everyone, you will either love it or plain hate it...

As a fan of MGS and iv played every single MGS so far, i really feel the only true brilliant Metal Gears from Kojima are Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear solid 5... The others have stuff that brings them down alot... in MGS2 Raiden is probably the worse part of that game.. the setting and the hour long codec talks really make that game so boring to play and watch... and MGS4 unfortunally is a huge movie with little to no interesting gameplay to go with it...

Just as a sidenote, the Cassettes have events that Big Boss was not present to witness, thus they contain story, that doesnt directly influence the Boss´s Point of view. The Cassettes Replace the Huge Boring Codec talks of the previous games that many ppl felt where unnecessary 90% of the time, and im one such ppl that agree the optional cassettes are a better means of delivery than Codec Talks...
Stated it wrong, meant to say it isn't primarily a stealth game. Sorry

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I played some MSG before and I was interested in the game, so I checked this thread.

What I'm getting from these comments is that the story is too confusing to be stand alone, that they gameplay is repetitive and that's how stealth games are supposed to be. But it's 10/10 apparently.
It's not repetitive though. Also it really isn't the writers fault someone decided to jump in at V. Just play or watch 3, Peacewalker, and Ground Zeroes.

Noob
Stated it wrong, meant to say it isn't primarily a stealth game. Sorry
Ahh its co0ol Harley ;) opinions are opinions they come in all shapes in sizes LOL...

This game is a love letter to Metal Gear fans, Honestly as a stand alone you might miss a lot serious plot points but really you shouldnt play any metal gear game without first playing its previous segments, you will be mostly lsot...

D

Deleted member 35141

Man Idk I'm loving it for the most part but a lot of the reviews never mention that you could do 6 missions in one exact location.
The stealth is great and general gameplay is fun, buddy system is cool( when upgraded), the main missions add fun and variety, but the side ops are shoot me boring which if you want the full ending you need most if not all done.
Graphics of course very good, my only other gripe which is in every mg game the 3rd person aiming is so far behind in the times.
Just my quick thoughts the game easily gets a 9 from me.

TKB

Noob
Ok, first off, if you haven't played Peace Walker, this game will have absolutely no context for you. IMO it is absolutely VITAL to play Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes first. These three games alone can stand on their own feet story-wise(although knowing what happened in snake eater with The Boss is pretty important too.)

Second off, how in the hell is it repetitive? You have literally ANY option available to complete an objective. Wanna go batshit crazy and shoot everyone? Go for it. Wanna sneak in carefully and take every soldier you find into your ranks? Go for it. Not to mention there's a million different ways for every mission to play out even if you're a badass at sneaking.

Third, the story is told through the cassette tapes you pick up. Of course there's the signature long cutscenes that all MGS titles have but to get the whole picture you have to listen to the tapes.

I'm one of the biggest metal gear solid fans around so I may be biased but this game is absolutely fantastic. It's basically Peace Walker on a MASSIVE scale with lots and lots of goodies and extra depth. Can't wait for MGO.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Read up on Ground Zeroes or Peacewalker at the very least before playing.
There's so much more to appreciate about the story and Big Boss's character if you know the MGS timeline beforehand.

Ryncage

Noob
Its no more repetitive than you make it.
Every game is repetitive, and i honestly have a hard time taking that criticism seriously.
Life, is more repetitive than mgs5, have you even seen how much time you spend eating and pooping?

Anyways, more to the point. Stop trying to play the game like its every other metal gear game. The world is open, and you can approach and tackle every challange and enemy in more ways than i can count. Experiment, and have fun. The story takes a backseat in this game but i dont think thats a bad thing.
If your just in it to approach every situation and mission the same way with the same loadouts, yes its going to get samey. But thats what happens when you only use 20% of whats been given to you.
The "repetitiveness" is on par with every other open world game, but imo its far more enjoyable to play around mgs5

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
This is my first MGS game (technically the second, since I've played Ground Zeroes) and HOLY SHIT, I'M HAVING AN AMAZING TIME. This game is fantastic in so many ways, not to mention the game keeps on rewarding you for everything you do (if you do it the way you're "supposed" to, at least).

I might be missing some tidbits from the story, but the Cassette Tapes do a great job on explaining the game itself to the player.

Seriously, it's one of the best games I've ever played, certainly the best one on the PS4 so far. And I'm still only at 40%.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Seems like you play MGS for the story and cinematics more than anything else. I say that since MGS4 had basically zero gameplay while the Prologue to this game involves pressing forward half the time. If you want more of that, this game definitely isn't for you. Kojima went full throttle on gameplay. If you're not imaginative enough in your gameplay, your experience is going to be pretty lame.

It's like the MGS2 of this generation. Lots of polarization. I'm not talking about gameplay alone either. The story/characters have people cursing Kojima.

Last edited:

Noob
And to add on what ppl have been saying so far, this game has SO MANY UNLOCKABLES, references, Easter Eggs, "Spoilers Ahead" You can even have Jehutys Arm Tech as a weapon in this game... When i got it my jaw feel to the floor on how awsome it was...

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
The story is horrid, its devoid of emotion, mainly with "Big Boss" and the scarce Ocelot, Kaz was turned into an edgy loser and nearly every outside aspect is garbage, Quiet is in every way nothing but a pair of titties, she simply has no real purpose. The ONLY truly great character is Huey, so glad he's there.

The gameplay is fine, the buddy system breaks a few missions and it get repetitive fast with constant rescue missions, SOME OF WHICH GET REPEATED.

Overall, 6.5/10.....at least its better than Guns of the Patriots........hmm

Gofer_MK_

Banned
This game is PW on big consoles. There are 3 mission variations, kill, extract or steal. You constantly do missions in the same bases. The plot is crap, real ending is cut out. Mother Base is absurd, you fulton over 100 guys who suddenly become your most loyal soldiers (wouldnt they revolt if they were outnumbering the original crew? They have weapons, etc....). You create new equipment but in rankings are penalized for using it... You can fulton others but not yourself... you have to run 10 miles to get to the chopper... yep solid 10 out of 10... this game is nothing that MGS fan expected or wanted.... Oh, and it will get GOTY instead of Witcher 3...

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I am a Metal Gear Fanatic, but overall I am pretty upset about this game. The game play is revolutionary for a sandbox, that is the biggest plus. Ive never had the game stop me in my tracks and say,"hmm can't do that." However most mgs fans play for the story and literally half of the game is missing! The entire third chapter was cut. If you have the collectors edition you can get a mock up of the ending to chapter three where they show unfinished scenes and story board pictures of the actual ending. 2nd chapter is basically rehashed chapter one missions and the story is basically carried through only the tapes. Its amazing the difference between the Chapter 1's progression compared to Chapter 2's progression. if you haven't played peacewalker and gound zeroes this game will be difficult for you to follow. I am just more upset personally that there wasn't any real character development of Big Boss.

Noob
This game is PW on big consoles. There are 3 mission variations, kill, extract or steal. You constantly do missions in the same bases. The plot is crap, real ending is cut out. Mother Base is absurd, you fulton over 100 guys who suddenly become your most loyal soldiers (wouldnt they revolt if they were outnumbering the original crew? They have weapons, etc....). You create new equipment but in rankings are penalized for using it... You can fulton others but not yourself... you have to run 10 miles to get to the chopper... yep solid 10 out of 10... this game is nothing that MGS fan expected or wanted.... Oh, and it will get GOTY instead of Witcher 3...
That is your opinion dude... This game is exacly what i expected and wanted and iv played every MGS... No hour Long Codec talks thats already a huge improvement... And honestly you are way overthinking everything... Firstly Th fulton of soldiers is complitely plausable, 50% of them turn because they are contracted and have no real alligiance to their original contracter, so in fear of being killed they simply turn loyal to the Boss, its quite a simple concept actually...You are penalized for Using powerfull weapons cause it would be easy to just bring a tank and destroy everything to get S ranks on all missions and get the rewards associated with such acomplishments, makes all the sense actually... The fulton yourself part i give you that one, but at the same time it would be pretty stupid if you could escape every situation by just fulting yourself out of the missions instead of having to actually use your wits and gear to help you escape... I respect your opinion, but it feels that most of your points are founded in the fact that this was not your ideal MGS so your lashing out cause you dont like it... I myself love the game but i do have my grips with it as well...

I am a Metal Gear Fanatic, but overall I am pretty upset about this game. The game play is revolutionary for a sandbox, that is the biggest plus. Ive never had the game stop me in my tracks and say,"hmm can't do that." However most mgs fans play for the story and literally half of the game is missing! The entire third chapter was cut. If you have the collectors edition you can get a mock up of the ending to chapter three where they show unfinished scenes and story board pictures of the actual ending. 2nd chapter is basically rehashed chapter one missions and the story is basically carried through only the tapes. Its amazing the difference between the Chapter 1's progression compared to Chapter 2's progression. if you haven't played peacewalker and gound zeroes this game will be difficult for you to follow. I am just more upset personally that there wasn't any real character development of Big Boss.
Honestly i feel the story problems are something caused by everything between Kojima and Konami... i really believe that they pretty much cut funding on him for certain things... But again the tape thing seems to come up a lot and what most ppl dont get is that in previous MGS the story is told to you in Hours and Hours of Codec long talks that are skipable but not optional, Here they have tapes, it falls under the same concept but this time around they present the bare minimum for you to understand the story if you know its background, and then provide more insight into the details via the tapes... Alas opinions i do get some ppl really enjoy the codec aspect of the previous games, im not gonna defend it but i respect those who enjoy it, it comes down to tastes i guess...