What's new

Question - Reptile Your Most Used Variation for Reptile

Which Reptile Variation Do You Use the Most?

• Total voters

SwegZero

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO
I use Deceptive the most, but I want to know what other variations people use and why. I like Deceptive because your opponent can't react your mixup, combos for others do less damage and I just want to see Reptile's beautiful face.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I play noxious primarily. I probably play no variation secondarily. I like to go too far when somebody disrespects me in a match by making sure in the rematch I show them they're helpless. I feel Nimble is the 2nd best variation. Reptile excels in the corner and nimble can corner to corner an opponent. That is priceless. Noxious however doesnt require meter for his noxious fumes and that is the selling point for me. Reptile has plenty of need for meter already so I don't like relying on a tool that also needs meter. Deceptive is strong. Don't get me wrong. It's just the lesser of 3 solid variations IMO.

huh

Noob
Noxious. Besides requiring less meter, it is extremely good when you put the opponent on his last 5%. Most of them start to panic and end up making mistakes, or straight up dies from the fumes. Either way it gives you an advantage at the end of matches. I can recall several times I've won matches due to this mind disturbing property of fumes.

Also, because one of the most fun things I experience in MKX is to just run towards a hopeless enemy on his last pixel. Priceless

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Yeah strictly noxious for me. Ive seen people say its his worst but honestly its about on par with the other two. Reptile is already really meter hungry and nimble and deceptive eat up even more (for great tools mind you). Noxious gets his perk for free and even if you dont get around to activating it you still reap a reward.

Ive seen alot of reptile footage where deceptive and nimble reptiles dont ever get a chance to activate they're traits essentially playing no variation.

On top of this he makes comebacks virtually impossible with a high enough life lead. I think a lot of people dont realize that noxious isnt just passive .20s over time, every hit your opponent lands on you deals damage back to them. Multi hitting specials like lius bicycle kick can really drain theyre health.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
I play noxious primarily. I probably play no variation secondarily. I like to go too far when somebody disrespects me in a match by making sure in the rematch I show them they're helpless. I feel Nimble is the 2nd best variation. Reptile excels in the corner and nimble can corner to corner an opponent. That is priceless. Noxious however doesnt require meter for his noxious fumes and that is the selling point for me. Reptile has plenty of need for meter already so I don't like relying on a tool that also needs meter. Deceptive is strong. Don't get me wrong. It's just the lesser of 3 solid variations IMO.
Yeah strictly noxious for me. Ive seen people say its his worst but honestly its about on par with the other two. Reptile is already really meter hungry and nimble and deceptive eat up even more (for great tools mind you). Noxious gets his perk for free and even if you dont get around to activating it you still reap a reward.

Ive seen alot of reptile footage where deceptive and nimble reptiles dont ever get a chance to activate they're traits essentially playing no variation.

On top of this he makes comebacks virtually impossible with a high enough life lead. I think a lot of people dont realize that noxious isnt just passive .20s over time, every hit your opponent lands on you deals damage back to them. Multi hitting specials like lius bicycle kick can really drain theyre health.
being meter hungry it's not a drawback if you ask me, Reptile builds meter pretty fast.... Noxious is basically variationless Reptile until the opponent is down to 5% health, nothing in noxious enhance his tools or complements his footsies.

for instance, in Deceptive, you get to confirm f21 into ex invisibility, wich leaves him plus on block and able to combo on hit, you also get an hit confirmable plus on block low (b3xxexinvis) wich also acts like a flash parry... ex invisibility can be used to punish gap in the strings with it being completely safe if the opponent is baiting you, allowing you for a punish or, at worst, pressure... and you are freaking invisible! sure they can armour the invisibility cancels, but hey, it's cool to make a read.

i dont know much about Nimble, but i know his set play in the corner is pretty strong. Safe basilisk setups, armour breaking, insane corner carry, really damaging combos from almost unreactable mixups.

so Deceptive has a more solid neutral, invisibility and plus frames, Nimble has the set play to win in the corner. What does Noxious have? denying combacks... alright it's good to deny combacks in this game, specially against characters like takeda / jacqui or even Nimble... but you're left with a less solid neutral and you have to commit to unsafe stuff in order to get the hit.

if the players you saw are not utilizing Deceptive and Nimble tools in a match then they're doing it wrong...

Last edited:

Cienfuegos

When I put ice on, I am Sub-Zero
I use all of them, but I've switched from maining noxious to maining deceptive, love the armor on invisibility. Nimble is really fun but I gotta practice those corner carries.

Syzoth

being meter hungry it's not a drawback if you ask me, Reptile builds meter pretty fast.... Noxious is basically variationless Reptile until the opponent is down to 5% health, nothing in noxious enhance his tools or complements his footsies.

for instance, in Deceptive, you get to confirm f21 into ex invisibility, wich leaves him plus on block and able to combo on hit, you also get an hit confirmable plus on block low (b3xxexinvis) wich also acts like a flash parry... ex invisibility can be used to punish gap in the strings with it being completely safe if the opponent is baiting you, allowing you for a punish or, at worst, pressure... and you are freaking invisible! sure they can armour the invisibility cancels, but hey, it's cool to make a read.

i dont know much about Nimble, but i know his set play in the corner is pretty strong. Safe basilisk setups, armour breaking, insane corner carry, really damaging combos from almost unreactable mixups.

so Deceptive has a more solid neutral, invisibility and plus frames, Nimble has the set play to win in the corner. What does Noxious have? denying combacks... alright it's good to deny combacks in this game, specially against characters like takeda / jacqui or even Nimble... but you're left with a less solid neutral and you have to commit to unsafe stuff in order to get the hit.

if the players you saw are not utilizing Deceptive and Nimble tools in a match then they're doing it wrong...
Noxious not only deals the final hits in a clutch gameplay my friend, it also helps wind the opponent down to the clutch gameplay. Every second your opponent takes unblockable damage from your poisonous gas aura. When they touch you they also get an extra tick of damage. Then ofcourse that stacks with your already ongoing offense. Noxious has 39% in the corner meterless which is nice though it does come off a mid. The armor can be reserved for armoring through gaps. Comboing off OH mixups. Sliding past projectiles/pouncing past projectiles. Breaking combos. Extra slow or extra fast acid balls. The stuff Reptile needs his meter for.

Deceptive is solid for precisely as you stated. However flash parring require a hard read typically and can easily fail wasting your meter if your timing is off or your read is incorrect. The invisibility is a boon to your mixups however its also a con to your gameplay. You can't see Reptile either. That can lead to mistakes that'd never happen if you could see. I don't struggle to open up my opponent when they can see me so being invisible comes as a low priority for me. Deceptive has one hit damage invulnerability. That is a bigger perk to me.

Reptile is so strong in the corner that nimbles corner carry carries more weight for me than its damage potential though it's there.

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Noxious not only deals the final hits in a clutch gameplay my friend, it also helps wind the opponent down to the clutch gameplay. Every second your opponent takes unblockable damage from your poisonous gas aura. When they touch you they also get an extra tick of damage. Then ofcourse that stacks with your already ongoing offense. Noxious has 39% in the corner meterless which is nice though it does come off a mid. The armor can be reserved for armoring through gaps. Comboing off OH mixups. Sliding past projectiles/pouncing past projectiles. Breaking combos. Extra slow or extra fast acid balls. The stuff Reptile needs his meter for.

Deceptive is solid for precisely as you stated. However flash parring require a hard read typically and can easily fail wasting your meter if your timing is off or your read is incorrect. The invisibility is a boon to your mixups however its also a con to your gameplay. You can't see Reptile either. That can lead to mistakes that'd never happen if you could see. I don't struggle to open up my opponent when they can see me so being invisible comes as a low priority for me. Deceptive has one hit damage invulnerability. That is a bigger perk to me.

Reptile is so strong in the corner that nimbles corner carry carries more weight for me than its damage potential though it's there.
Yeah all of this. I don't see noxious as being better than the other two variations but it is definitely on the same level.

Although reptile is great at building meter he still goes through it quite quickly. You can never have too much meter. That extra bar that he saves can mean the difference between life and death. As an added bonus when your opponent is near death and you have a good life lead you can actually just stop blocking and attacking and just let them combo you as much as possible to gain even more meter for the next round while keeping them from building any off blocked attacks.

On a side note. What is this 39% meterless corner combo you speak of?

Syzoth

Yeah all of this. I don't see noxious as being better than the other two variations but it is definitely on the same level.

Although reptile is great at building meter he still goes through it quite quickly. You can never have too much meter. That extra bar that he saves can mean the difference between life and death. As an added bonus when your opponent is near death and you have a good life lead you can actually just stop blocking and attacking and just let them combo you as much as possible to gain even more meter for the next round while keeping them from building any off blocked attacks.

On a side note. What is this 39% meterless corner combo you speak of?
just tested to make sure the percent is right and its actually 40%. My bad. Corner: 34 gas f421 db3 microstep back d2 f421 bf4 40% meterless.

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
just tested to make sure the percent is right and its actually 40%. My bad. Corner: 34 gas f421 db3 microstep back d2 f421 bf4 40% meterless.
oh yeah okay. you said a mid so i was like "oh my god does f41 gas combo?". yeah i do 34 gas f412 bf2 141 f412 bf4. 40% as well but i find it easier.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam

you dont necessarliy need meter for all the stuff you mentioned, you can get a 25% meterless from the OH mid screen and regular pounce and slide works just fine to get a knockdown and oki.. meter management is an important aspect of the game, you dont always wanna spend meter in every possible situation.

flash parry does not require an hard read, it's completely safe and leads to full combo if you land it, if they delay wake up you get free pressure or 50/50 in the corner... after playing deceptive for a while i can say that i know exactly where i am when invisible, it becomes mechanical after many hours spent with the character. reptile lacks good staggers, and being able to confirm f21, wich is a long af mid, into ex invis, enhance his neutral a lot.

i forgot about invulnerability, another perk to add to his already great arsenal

Syzoth

you dont necessarliy need meter for all the stuff you mentioned, you can get a 25% meterless from the OH mid screen and regular pounce and slide works just fine to get a knockdown and oki.. meter management is an important aspect of the game, you dont always wanna spend meter in every possible situation.

flash parry does not require an hard read, it's completely safe and leads to full combo if you land it, if they delay wake up you get free pressure or 50/50 in the corner... after playing deceptive for a while i can say that i know exactly where i am when invisible, it becomes mechanical after many hours spent with the character. reptile lacks good staggers, and being able to confirm f21, wich is a long af mid, into ex invis, enhance his neutral a lot.

i forgot about invulnerability, another perk to add to his already great arsenal
Guess it's agree to disagree my friend:) I do think Deceptive is good I just prefer noxious.