What's new

YOMI and Hype...

haketh

Noob
If Yomi just set up an all day stream where they stream their casuals that'd probably end up being better revenue for the team than winning tournaments. Just get the most charismatic players to talk to chat from time to time and generate fuckloads of content for all of the viewers. Dunno why they're not doing it already!
I don't understand why they're not doign this

protools27

Rebel without a scene
I saw Dizzy on AvoidingThePuddle once talk about how at his local they do not play for pots. So there are no cash prizes and he is rather dominant there. He said the reason for no pots is that they felt it discouraged people to come and compete. The events lost all meaning and basically became a king of the hill vs dizzy who then went home with a pay cheque and no one else got jack.

This is kinda like Yomi. There is no doubting the skill they have, and as people have said they have incredibly strong match up experience due to the people in there local. Overtime this could be unstoppable, I mean the training at Yomi is beyond at the moment, no doubt.

The question if independent players are even going to try and compete with that after a while is one worth considering. Some talented kid might be going, I could play this game all day every day and sit in training room, but there is no way I will ever be able to beat these guys due to their match up experience.. why even bother. Is traveling so far and paying board and fuel or plane tickets even worth it?... then they pick another game that is all or mostly independent players as they feel they have a shot.

This is the hypothetical scenario that scares me the most.
There is that kid. His name is sonic fox. But seriously, the competition would be pretty much just as hard for any kid trying to climb solo to the top of the food chain. Even without yomi, beating people like reo and forever king would take a lot of time skill and dedication.

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
Instead of creating competing teams and leveling up, let's make a thread crying about how it's unhype that they're amazing at the game!
Yes, "crying" is what this thread is doing. God forbid we can actually just have an adult conversation where everyone simply discusses pros and cons, which incidentally, is what everyone was doing until your post.

And yeah, I'm sure threads like this is why "creating competing teams and leveling up" aren't happening. That's not a false dilemma at all you're presenting.

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
In the UFC the Jackson-Winkeljohn gym is generally considered the best gym to train at. It was never less hype to watch two members fight it out, and many of those have been championship fights. Its about the fighter, not about the team.
That analogy is highly flawed. Greg Jackson never had a sort of "monopoly" (not the right word, but bear with me) over elite fighters. When you consider the various Brazilian fighters, Xtreme Couture at one point, AKA, ATT, Alpha Male, etc... there were numerous elite camps. Jackson just happened to be considered the best by the consensus, but that was debatable.

But I agree that ultimately, it boils down to the individuals, but I wouldn't say it's "not about the team," because to an extent there is. For the same reason you hear people chanting "GGA! GGA!" when Dizzy beat Sonic Fox...

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
The only hype killer is YOMI vs YOMI. Just like GGA vs GGA, EGP vs EGP, EG vs EG, AK vs AK, RM vs RM, etc.
Agreed, but statistical likelihood means YOMI vs. YOMI is far more likely than the other match-ups you named, including in pools (keep in mind they're so many that they're ending up in each other's pools). But I do feel you touch on the biggest "hype killer," and it's that we see these guys play each other so often that match-ups between elite players lose some of their luster.

Nevertheless, the level of play is insanely good and it's a direct result of them training together so obviously the good outweighs the bad, but as far as competitive hype goes, I feel it's a pretty big blow.

Last edited:

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Instead of creating competing teams and leveling up, let's make a thread crying about how it's unhype that they're amazing at the game!
Who other than Reno can afford to make teams like this though? Yomi outsourced good players who have the life circumstances where they can play with each other offline all day every day. All the local scenes are at a disadvantage to that.

I don't blame them for it, as I've said on twitter there's no reason for them not to do this, but it does kinda make things unhype as far as rivalries/storylines go

coolwhip

Noob
Who other than Reno can afford to make teams like this though? Yomi outsourced good players who have the life circumstances where they can play with each other offline all day every day. All the local scenes are at a disadvantage to that.

I don't blame them for it, as I've said on twitter there's no reason for them not to do this, but it does kinda make things unhype as far as rivalries/storylines go
Sums up my exact feelings in three sentences.

It's easy to say "others should step up" but ultimately, that's a vague proposition. I'm sure Reno isn't the only one in the US who can afford to do this, but acting like YOMI set an example for every scene to follow is a bit rich.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
In the UFC the Jackson-Winkeljohn gym is generally considered the best gym to train at. It was never less hype to watch two members fight it out, and many of those have been championship fights. Its about the fighter, not about the team.
But we're not in a situation where we have dozens of players able to travel somewhere new and commit their lives to different teams, we only have one. MMA has numerous top teams, not just that one. ATT, Blackzilians, Team Alpha Male, Alliance, and those are just the big American ones. If there was no one who could afford to have training regiments like Jackson-Winkeljohn and it were just a few guys like them on top things would be less hype.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
No

It's gonna to be real talk no one else can handle

Btw I'm not even touching the " reo didn't plAy much" crap

i mean i was playing with him before he went down to yomi and he was only at a handful of sessions. i think that can reflect how much he was playing at the time.

also im referring to "that much" as the 10-12 hours you originally referred to. i dont know many people who can go days in a row playing video games for almost all of their waking hours without going insane after at least 5 days.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Not everyone can live having no job, career, school, etc and can leave home and play 10-12 hours every day

Level up? Yea not gonna happen w most people w actual jobs this quick
This is why access to good online play is so important to people who have other things going on in life. To be able to hop on at any given moment and play with others without having to modify or adjust timing and etc. It would make our community a lot more competitive over time.
For now, like most other people I'm going to be playing a few hours a week at locals and mostly training mode with any other spare time. The online to me can provide some knowledge on how to deal with certain things but it can hurt more than it helps.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Yes, "crying" is what this thread is doing. God forbid we can actually just have an adult conversation where everyone simply discusses pros and cons, which incidentally, is what everyone was doing until your post.

And yeah, I'm sure threads like this is why "creating competing teams and leveling up" aren't happening. That's not a false dilemma at all you're presenting.
How much stake do you have in tournaments? 0. You're the least qualified person to make this thread lawl.

Believe me, they're not winning because they're 'YOMI', they're winning because they're goddamn MIT, DJT, Michelangelo, Slayer and Forever King. They were winning in MK9, they were winning in Injustice. Saying "they're only good because they play 24/7" is silly. And yeah, what else there is but step it up? They still play the same game under the same rules as everyone else. I'm sorry people being good is "unhype" to you guy from across the world.

coolwhip

Noob
How much stake do you have in tournaments? 0. You're the least qualified person to make this thread lawl.
Which is exactly why the OP explicitly mentioned how it's looking at the issue strictly from a VIEWER's perspective.

Believe me, they're not winning because they're 'YOMI', they're winning because they're goddamn MIT, DJT, Michelangelo, Slayer and Forever King.
Uh, that's literally what I said. YOMI has recruited elite players, so of course they're going to do well. But thanks for the earth shattering info.

They were winning in MK9, they were winning in Injustice. Saying "they're only good because they play 24/7" is silly. And yeah, what else there is but step it up? They still play the same game under the same rules as everyone else. I'm sorry people being good is "unhype" to you guy from across the world.
Please show me where I claimed they're winning cause they train 24/7. My whole point is actually that this is sort of like an "all star" team, where a bunch of exceptionally good players are brought together.

Of course this would require for you to actually read and understand instead of resorting the usual "lol Lebanon" response which has literally nothing to do with anything. In fact, in this very thread, I mentioned how the positives actually outweigh the negatives for YOMI, but this strictly focuses on one aspect. Most, including me, have said that YOMI cannot be faulted for doing what they're doing.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable reply, as always. I'll add it to your immeasurable contributions to all things Kitana and that Reptile thread where you scolded everyone who downplayed him only to somehow claim, in the same thread, "I dropped him because I'm not maining a bottom 5 character again for 2 years."

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Which is exactly why the OP explicitly mentioned how it's looking at the issue strictly from a VIEWER's perspective.
How is in an "issue" then? Boo hoo I get quality matches on stream this is terrible :(
Uh, that's literally what I said. YOMI has recruited elite players, so of course they're going to do well. But thanks for the earth shattering info.
You can close your eyes and imagine there's no Yomi tag. Problem solved.
Please show me where I claimed they're winning cause they train 24/7. My whole point is actually that this is sort of like an "all star" team, where a bunch of exceptionally good players are brought together.
Have you even read the thread?
Of course this would require for you to actually read and understand instead of going on the usual "lol im coolwhip" response which has literally nothing to do with anything.

Expect it does. If you were Arturo and views were taking a hit then maybe yeah giving them less stream time would be a fix. Maybe if you were a person spending 1000 a month traveling everywhere then maybe I could see your point a little bit. But no, you're a stream monster. I'm sorry great players make you a sad stream monster it's so unfair to you.
In fact, in this very thread, I mentioned how the positives actually outweigh the negatives for YOMI, but this strictly focuses on one aspect. Most, including me, have said that YOMI cannot be faulted for doing what they're doing.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable reply, as always.
what's the purpose of this thread? What's the end goal? Seriously what do you want to happen after making this thread?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Believe me, they're not winning because they're 'YOMI', they're winning because they're goddamn MIT, DJT, Michelangelo, Slayer and Forever King. They were winning in MK9, they were winning in Injustice. Saying "they're only good because they play 24/7" is silly.
They're very good players, yes, they're not just good because they're "yomi". But it's no coincidence they're seeing consistent results where others aren't. It's hard for grassroots scenes to keep up with that level of knowledge and experience, no matter how good the players are. Maybe it's just early and things will change later on. It's just making things not that interesting right now.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
They're very good players, yes, they're not just good because they're "yomi". But it's no coincidence they're seeing consistent results where others aren't. It's hard for grassroots scenes to keep up with that level of knowledge and experience, no matter how good the players are. Maybe it's just early and things will change later on. It's just making things not that interesting right now.
We're not at that level because none of us play each other anymore, and no one ever gets casuals at the break. Also because we aren't Mit djt mike slayer fk. And yeah it's not coincidence that they always get top placing even during mk9 and Injustice.

what's the purpose of this thread? What's the end goal? Seriously what do you want to happen after making this thread?
Perhaps he wants some discussion on the questions he posed in the OP? If it doesn't interest you or if it is beneath you to respond in a civil or useful fashion, someone can post a screenshot letting you know where the back button is on your browser so you can make a graceful exit, stage left.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Perhaps he wants some discussion on the questions he posed in the OP? If it doesn't interest you or if it is beneath you to respond in a civil or useful fashion, someone can post a screenshot letting you know where the back button is on your browser so you can make a graceful exit, stage left.
With Coolwhip? Nah. Theres always something. *checks join date* oh ok that makes sense.