What's new

Question WTF Practice Mode?!?

Justice

Noob
I'm working really hard trying to get random Arc Kicks out of my footsies and kombos and getting really frustrated. Part of it is that my muscle memory isn't remembering the new technique as fast as I would like, but part of it is my frustration with Practice Mode.

I'm doing my thing and I start getting random Arc Kicks so I check the pretty much useless input display to see what I'm doing wrong so I know what to fix. But sometimes I'll see this:

[]
[]
O
:d
:l
A
A

but Sonya will do Jab Jab Arc Kick?!?!?! WTF izzat? Sometimes I'll do it early and get [] [] :dO:l and get an Arc Kick. Still annoys me but at least I can say that I input the movements too early and Negative Edge took over.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything else but it's soo frustrating when I'm trying to level up and the game itself is spitting out garbage.

You're talking about d4 ms f1 pretty much, right?

If find that if you wait just a fewww miliseconds after pressing d4 it comes out much more consistently

Justice

Noob
You're talking about d4 ms f1 pretty much, right?

If find that if you wait just a fewww miliseconds after pressing d4 it comes out much more consistently
Thanks dood. I know what I'm doing wrong I just keep doing it rofl. I realized after I started typing it was more a rant about Practice Mode than really anything to do with Sonya.

The frustrating part is when I speed up to try to get my execution up to battle levels. I have this annoying habit of moving the stick too early in preparation for the cancel. It's just re-training my muscle memory is all. It just doesn't help when Sonya does the wrong thing and then I look at the inputs and they're right....

Ohh, yeah training mode is really buggy sometimes. I use a dualshock and when i was first learning reptile 321 dash njp bnb i would have the weirdest inputs, yet the right thing came out. I would have like 3 2 1 b d f 2 u 2 3. It's just kinda buggy lol

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What is probably happening is you are doing all of the inputs too fast so when it gets to the 4 part you have done the d, b and release 4 which gives you negative edge and the arc kick comes out.

Slow down.

I'm working really hard trying to get random Arc Kicks out of my footsies and kombos and getting really frustrated. Part of it is that my muscle memory isn't remembering the new technique as fast as I would like, but part of it is my frustration with Practice Mode.

I'm doing my thing and I start getting random Arc Kicks so I check the pretty much useless input display to see what I'm doing wrong so I know what to fix. But sometimes I'll see this:

[]
[]
O
:d
A
A

but Sonya will do Jab Jab Arc Kick?!?!?! WTF izzat? Sometimes I'll do it early and get [] [] :dO:l and get an Arc Kick. Still annoys me but at least I can say that I input the movements too early and Negative Edge took over.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything else but it's soo frustrating when I'm trying to level up and the game itself is spitting out garbage.
hello,
u use stick?
I also had the same problems with the inputs but i found a very good solution, with this db and df are disabled:

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
If you want it to be even more consistent you don't even want to release 4 until MS comes out. That way you totally eliminate the negative edge button press when releasing 4. D4(hold),B2 (release 4 as soon as MS comes out). Also, make 100% sure that the poke is coming out before you finish the motion for the MS input so you never get the naked special. I just started messing around with Sonya a few days ago and had the same issues with randomly getting arc kick and kiss from D1 xx MS

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You have to do a move with careful input several hundreds of times based on your reflexes and coordination and muscle memory, before that move becomes natural. I have shit reflexes, I need to work real hard to reach good execution. People like REO probably have far better skill to begin with.
Bottom line is: Just keep doing it until you get there.

You have to do a move with careful input several hundreds of times based on your reflexes and coordination and muscle memory, before that move becomes natural. I have shit reflexes, I need to work real hard to reach good execution. People like REO probably have far better skill to begin with.
i guess if reo would main sonya u would see also from him input errors.
look, the game is one and half year since release but highlevel sonya players still do input errors (gamerblake, morty)
i say thats not because the inputs are too difficult, its because input bug and negative edge.
not every char has trouble with this thing, but sonya i know for sure.
some ppl say skarlet and rain have also troble with the input bug and negative edge.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
look, the game is one and half year since release but highlevel sonya players still do input errors (gamerblake, morty)
i say thats not because the inputs are too difficult, its because input bug and negative edge.
some ppl say skarlet and rain have also troble with the input bug and negative edge.
Which would lead to me bashing the game again but I won't bother.
Injustice will be out soon, we'll see if they improve one bit.

Justice

Noob
hello,
u use stick?
I also had the same problems with the inputs but i found a very good solution, with this db and df are disabled:
Yep! I use a Qanba Q4 Limited Edition Kindvu Pink stick. I like that adapter you posted pics of but I would rather learn to avoid bad inputs than get a crutch like that. Besides, I use my stick for as many games as I can to help get comfortable with it so I'd be removing that gate constantly.
Solution D4(release 4),B2 . Problem solved.
I have come to realize that my problem is with "hand syncing" meaning my left and right hands aren't doing what they're supposed to at the proper time. Somehow, I've gotten into the bad habit of "buffering" my control inputs in preparation for the cancel which ofcourse means I get Arc Kick instead of MS since I'm moving the stick too early.
If you want it to be even more consistent you don't even want to release 4 until MS comes out. That way you totally eliminate the negative edge button press when releasing 4. D4(hold),B2 (release 4 as soon as MS comes out). Also, make 100% sure that the poke is coming out before you finish the motion for the MS input so you never get the naked special. I just started messing around with Sonya a few days ago and had the same issues with randomly getting arc kick and kiss from D1 xx MS
Great idea! But I play on stick and the 4 and the 2 are on the same finger so I can't hold one and hit the other :(
I know. It's just like I tell everyone else: Shut the fuck up and play :p It's just I have learned this bad habit that's now killing me with higher execution kombos so I have to go back and unlearn my habit. It's making it that much harder since my muscle memory wants to keep doing the wrong thing and I'm saying that's wrong and my hands are like "WTF dood?"
I think it's more that noone is perfect. Anyone can drop a kombo at anytime given the right amount of pressure. It's just harder to pressure someone like REO into making a mistake.

Thanks again for all the tips guys! I really appreciate the helps! I just gotta learn to control the rage when I see an Arc Kick and keep training my hands to do things properly. And like Konqrr said:
What is probably happening is you are doing all of the inputs too fast so when it gets to the 4 part you have done the d, b and release 4 which gives you negative edge and the arc kick comes out.

Slow down.

Yep! I use a Qanba Q4 Limited Edition Kindvu Pink stick. I like that adapter you posted pics of but I would rather learn to avoid bad inputs than get a crutch like that. Besides, I use my stick for as many games as I can to help get comfortable with it so I'd be removing that gate constantly.
yeah i got more then one stick and this with mod gate is only for mk xD
disabling db and df is extremely comfortable for me,
u should try it, u can simply change to regular gate if u dont like it :)

Slow down.
sometimes is not possible to perform inputs slow :(
but to eliminate negative edge u have to press and hold an button!
example kung lao: 1121 spin <-- if u do it too fast spin wont came out because engine register spin motion with the 2 button, but if u HOLD 2 spin will come out no matter how fast u perform the combo :)
btw shout outs to pad players :D

Justice

Noob
yeah i got more then one stick and this with mod gate is only for mk xD
disabling db and df is extremely comfortable for me,
u should try it, u can simply change to regular gate if u dont like it :)

sometimes is not possible to perform inputs slow :(
but to eliminate negative edge u have to press and hold an button!
example kung lao: 1131 spin <-- if u do it too fast spin wont came out because engine register spin motion with the 3 button, but if u HOLD 3 spin will come out no matter how fast u perform the combo :)
btw shout outs to pad players :D
I only have the one stick and I'd rather teach my hand proper inputs. But, I am keeping it in mind if I get a job and can afford a second stick so that at least I can perform better in tournaments while I train to not need it :D

Actually, you should try slowing things down. I have found that even with a character as execution heavy as Sonya, the inputs can be done surprisingly slow. Like for the kombo I listed in the first post, I whiff the reset at the end a lot because I'm rushing the inputs. Think of it like training to do the standing 1 juggles in the corner; there's a steady rythm to it. If you do it too fast, the 11 part string comes out and your opponent hits the ground due to recovery. If you do it too slow, they hit the ground in between your Jabs.

Justice

Noob
That too, but the game is flawed to hell as well.
I see this as an excuse. There are people like Pig, REO, Brady etc. that can play this game on a high level. So what's the difference between them and me? Practice, practice and more practice :D

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I see this as an excuse. There are people like Pig, REO, Brady etc. that can play this game on a high level. So what's the difference between them and me? Practice, practice and more practice :D
The game being flawed does not contradict the fact that experience increases skill, bro :D It's just another fact.