What's new

Would you like to see Gear Augments return?

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
I'm not sure how many people were even aware that Gear Augments were a thing considering they were mostly for single player. But, as someone who mostly played Towers of Time on MK11 until I'd gotten comfortable with playing online, I really enjoyed the creativity augments brought to the table. Whether it's making your character stupid OP (I mean, who doesn't love playing as Raiden and actually feeling like a god.) or helping with grinding coins, souls, hearts etc for the Krypt. It was a really dope concept.

The Jinsei augments specifically were insanely dope, and super fun to play around with.

Would anyone else like to see them make a return?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Personally I never play 1P in MK that much. Only played it in MK11 cause I had to in order to unlock gear for characters I wanted to play. I prefered the injustice 2 gear system, you got gear by playing online too. I'm guessing if it's something their casual players liked then it's most likely to come back in some way.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I never really used them tbh and the gear system was very disappointing in general. Some characters had fantastic gear options, others had pure trash. Augments were pretty pointless in my experience.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
No thanks. Just give us simple arcade towers like back in the day, nothing more. I want gear/costumes/brutalities etc. to be easily obtainable as opposed to months of waiting or hours of grinding.

No more augments, stuff locked behind timed events, and 60 types of towers. NRS should stop overcomplicating things.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Personal opinion? Eh. Augments were only useful for the farming aspect because NRS decided to add that level of grind in the first place. Kind of an ouroboros circular reasoning that I didn't care about much as someone only ever in training mode or online.

However, MK11 sold >15m copies as of 2022 so I'm sure there's QUITE a few people who played towers almost exclusively. I'm sure there's a large enough audience out there for NRS to warrant the development time, especially considering they used the unlock system as a monetization opportunity. I highly doubt we've seen the last of the Towers of Time and gear augment concepts.

I honestly wasn't a fan of the kustomization system in Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. Too convoluted.

How it was in Mortal Kombat XL was excellent, save that DLC characters needed extra skins as well.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Pretty indifferent on them. My understanding from some stuff NRS people have said in streams that they know how many people play Towers and it's "a LOT". Something is working I guess. Augments were pretty background if you don't care which seems like a good space for them to exist.

I really didn't like all the IJ2 gear stuff. It took way too much manual maintenance to manage a constant stream of mostly garbage gear. I suspect it was regretted on their end too given some of the inventory issues they had to deal with during the game's active life.

I get not wanting to deal with the overgrind the game demands. (I totally didn't unlock Frost 4 times, and complete 2 head challenges, ect and totally not tired of grinding at all). I think it's they way they want it though, but if cross play is more complete having to do it more than once would probably improve. I did learn you can farm some early per-character costume stuff just doing single fight towers when they show up and it's much faster than just grinding whatever.

That said, not sure people that don't want to grind really care about augments

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It is a tricky one. People on this forum and in the "competitive" FGC scene for MK have a very narrow view of the game, but it is the games ability to offer play options for so many people that makes it so popular. A good example is the gear in Injustice 2. Most people around here never played with those gear items and levels, but according to NRS it was over 90+ percent of players played in that mode for online vs. If you go into IJ2 now that is the only place you can get games, with most people there now having max level and gear move options. So something that feels universally hated, can in fact be super popular and very successful. The augments for the towers is one of those things. Around here people just focus on "pure" 1v1 play... but that is simply not how the HUGE majority of players play the game.

Towers will be back. Boss Towers will be back. Augments of some kind will be back. Stage mods will be back (like shake or low grav etc etc)... no doubt... or at least something similar.

My understanding from some stuff NRS people have said in streams that they know how many people play Towers and it's "a LOT".
It's very casual friendly, so makes sense. I dabbled at the start to see what it's about... then didn't touch it for ages. In fact the last time I played them was when online play was broken for me for 3+months.... I guess that's one way to force people to play them.

It took way too much manual maintenance to manage a constant stream of mostly garbage gear.
If you like dealing with sort of thing then i guess it could be fun. But spending time rummaging through menus/options to find bits that work together to maximise power/points etc. really isn't my idea of fun.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
No thanks. Just give us simple arcade towers like back in the day, nothing more. I want gear/costumes/brutalities etc. to be easily obtainable as opposed to months of waiting or hours of grinding.

No more augments, stuff locked behind timed events, and 60 types of towers. NRS should stop overcomplicating things.
Agree with the cosmetics being more easily obtainable, hard disagree on just having the simple towers.

For people who play mostly offline, whether it's because of internet issues or not being totally comfortable playing against randoms in a competitive sense, having SOMETHING to do is a must.

Obviously more competitive online players aren't gonna care about that, but it's necessary.

For people that play single player it's usually

-finish the story mode
-Do the towers for each character to see their endings
-Do the Krypt

Then after that, that's it. There HAS to be something there to keep offline gamers engaged. Whether it's crazy towers, augments, etc. Although I do agree that online players shouldn't be forced to grind offline stuff for cosmetics and brutalities. But I just think NRS in general has an issue with overtuning numbers when it comes to that. (we all know where we were when they added legendary gear to injustice 2)

There should be a balance, but they shouldn't completely strip that stuff away imo.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
If you like dealing with sort of thing then i guess it could be fun. But spending time rummaging through menus/options to find bits that work together to maximise power/points etc. really isn't my idea of fun.
The thing with IJ2 gear though was inventory space was limited and stuff you might have an interest (even if that was just cosmetically) could just end up discarded if you didn't keep up on it - per character. Was not great. Wasn't a fan of any of what IJ2 was trying to do in general with massive chunks of the game that didn't apply to the competitive side of things.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I couldn't stand the IJ2 gear... but that dose not negate the fact that a LOT of people did. Infinite inventory no stats and no move links and it would be fine. I actually preferred the customisation in IJ2 to MK12... though as time has gone by MK12 dose have a metric ton of options now.