What's new

Would Mortal Kombat benefit from the 'chip damage does not apply after 1%' mechanic?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I'm in the camp that thinks good defense should be as viable as good offense in a game, so I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Not to mention, it is kind of anti-hype to watch a guy just kind of fall after getting chipped out

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Seconded.
Although, in a game like IGAU or a potential sequel, it might make a bit more sense. Good idea, just not for Kombat.
I play BlazBlue and they have this in the game where certain moves won't chip you or if you barrier guard. Once barrier guard is gone tho, back to chip damage. I'm fine with or without chip, but as far as all MKs go...it will always be present.

The main problem I have with this idea is that it would disproportionately screw over characters without good 50/50s.

As an example, let's say I'm using Kitana and you're on your last legs. All you have to do is crouch block - if I jump, or you see me go for b2, you just switch to stand block straight away. Effectively my only chance of eliminating that last 1% of health is by getting a lucky throw in.

Compare that to, say, Swarm Queen D'Vorah, who can relentlessly pressure with safe 50/50s and has an orders of magnitude higher chance of landing that last hit.

tl;dr No, it wouldn't benefit.

Solignac

Noob
They lower Quan Chi's hex spell chip from 3x to 1.5x.....
They lower Quan Chi's hex spell chip from 1.5x to 0
1440574994093.jpg

I get what you're trying to say, though. You want to see the heroic 1% comebacks but I just don't see it happening. It's more interesting to see a player play full on aggressive rambo mode when they know they can't get touched, rather than just blocking forever and getting that right guess.

TLDR: Not fair for the person who got them to 1%

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Blocking forever and getting the right guess. I love that better than Rambo style. <3 neutral game.

Anyway, as much as I like the OP idea for MKX I just don't think it would work. MK is a different kind of fighting game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Meh...

I think MK would benefit for more depth if there was a perfect guard system that would prevent chip and meter build, like a just frame guard perfectly timed at string impacts, normals or specials.

But NRS hasn't fully convinced me yet on mastery of their core system mechanics, there is always some faulty issue, reason why block breakers are currently useless and cost a lot more than evening the odds.