What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Bo' Rai Cho "Worst Character In MKX"

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Found this video on youtube, wanted to get y'alls opinion on it and its points. Sorry if there is another thread this belongs under.

The only thing i dont really agree with is the last like 2 minutes where he said he's a waste of a character and complains about the farting and puking.

Last edited:
Yeah... No. Until Necromancer gets free rushdown, perfect 50/50s, astronomical damage in the corner and GREAT setups, then Necromancer is still THE worst character in the game.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Can't watch the vid because of mobile, could someone send me a /watch?v= link?

Generally though, Bo Rai Cho has a balls hard time doing anything outside his footsie range (especially Bartitsu good grief), but he has such an insane amount of potential it's only a matter of time before a good Bo shows up and tears a tournament down.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie

Generally though, Bo Rai Cho has a balls hard time doing anything outside his footsie range (especially Bartitsu good grief), but he has such an insane amount of potential it's only a matter of time before a good Bo shows up and tears a tournament down.
Id like to see king make this happen

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I honestly think people are sleeping on Bo rai cho. His main problem comes when he has to face zoning (he is pretty free to Kenshi, which is saying a lot, they should buff his run), but his footsies are good and his close game is great.

Here it is man -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_YoIsw14bo#t=84-
(remove the - at the beginning and the end)

DDutchguy

I honestly think people are sleeping on Bo rai cho. His main problem comes when he has to face zoning (he is pretty free to Kenshi, which is saying a lot, they should buff his run), but his footsies are good and his close game is great.

Here it is man -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_YoIsw14bo#t=84-
(remove the - at the beginning and the end)
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Hiyomoto

Noob
OK, that's enough. I'm tired too see posts like "OMG HE HAS ~50% CORNER COMBOS AND 26 FR VORTEX OMG OMG" or "i can't win with character, he's worst in MK X"..

I definitely should to create Bo'Rai Cho guide.
They're not ready. It's a bit annoying to see these BRC hate threads considering that I feel he isn't really used correctly by a majority of the people complaining about him.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Are we sure its not just none of the Bo players being patient enough to get in against mkx zoning LOL

"I want to do my set play but its not fair I have to get innnnnnnn.."

DDutchguy

Just watched the video in its entirety. It's hard to disagree with a lot of the points he makes about what's bad about Bo Rai Cho. Sometimes he was also dangerously close to to making the non-argument of "X character has this therefore my character should have it too". Some of his buff suggestions like improving his forward and back dash sounded pretty good and interesting and so did some of his other suggestions.

Of course this is a video explaining why Bo is bad in his eyes. Because of this, he naturally didn't talk much about how Bo Rai Cho's mad mixups come into play, how he can vortex you into 40+% meterless, etc.

This video is what I kinda expected it to be: Someone taking Bo Rai Cho at face value, having played him for a bit and seeing that he has little going for him. That can all change once someone shows off how Bo Rai Cho works.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict

He does have a massive amount of potential, he is just on the cusp of being really damn good, but a lot of his footsie frame data needs adjustment, and his string gaps need closing (see 341, 413u4, 111, etc.) and he needs a fast reaching mid(bring b2 down to like 12-16 frames), then he is very tournament viable and he will still have weaknsses that make him not completely broken. As it stands now a majority of the cast can just d1/d3 and jump away and there is very little you can do about it without exposing yourself to a heavy punish, thats not even factoring in projectiles.

I would love to see someone sweep a tourney with bo and prove me wrong but literally every time ForeverKing has tried he has had to abandon the character as soon as he was int top 8 because anyone who knows what they are doing just has to poke after their strings and bo can't get started. It tears me up cause I love this character, seriously, he is the most fun character in the game, but without buffs he will never break top 7 in a major.

OK, that's enough. I'm tired too see posts like "OMG HE HAS ~50% CORNER COMBOS AND 26 FR VORTEX OMG OMG" or "i can't win with character, he's worst in MK X"..

I definitely should to create Bo'Rai Cho guide.
Hell yeah bro, i would love to study your guide, you have some of the best bo play period. Honestly i don't want him to be the best, hell I don't even care if he gets into top 15 characters, but a lot of his tools sabotage him as a character. I just want him to be viable, mid tier is fine. As it is now you have to utterly outplay your opponent, and they have to be relatively unfamiliar with the matchup to win. Some slight frame adjustments and he would be perfect. As it stands now he has the highest number of bad matchups in the game, hell I challenge you to show me a matchup that is in his favor. Again I love the character, and i really enjoy your play of him so none of this is intentionally disrespectful or anything, I'm just trying to understand the character.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Just watched the video in its entirety. It's hard to disagree with a lot of the points he makes about what's bad about Bo Rai Cho. Sometimes he was also dangerously close to to making the non-argument of "X character has this therefore my character should have it too". Some of his buff suggestions like improving his forward and back dash sounded pretty good and interesting and so did some of his other suggestions.

Of course this is a video explaining why Bo is bad in his eyes. Because of this, he naturally didn't talk much about how Bo Rai Cho's mad mixups come into play, how he can vortex you into 40+% meterless, etc.

This video is what I kinda expected it to be: Someone taking Bo Rai Cho at face value, having played him for a bit and seeing that he has little going for him. That can all change once someone shows off how Bo Rai Cho works.
Don't get me wrong you can surprise some people and do some serious damage but his real problem is that he has bad neutral. His damage is legit, but his mixups aren't that good. Bartitsu is the only variation that has an overhead that isn't either super risky or a hard knockdown. DM has good dd33 or roll mixups and pressure but you have to be drunk to do that and that is the most risky trait in the game. I'm also not saying that the character is completely terrible, he is just the worst in the game currently. Jason and goro moved up, bo moved in.

Skedar70

Noob
I think he is right. Despite BRC having a good close up game he has big issues getting in and I haven't face any good ones online. I do think he has to work harder than any character to get through zoning.

Hmmm. My first problem with this trash is that he's talking about any variation other than Bartitsu; infinitely better than DB and DM. Those variations have trouble opening up the opponent and lack the tools needed for the slightest bit of space control.

With Bartitsu, you are able to check your opponent with F1 and D4. They are very good pokes and must both be utilized to demonstrate to your opponent that the area from short to intermediate range is off limits to them. You have to own that box. Often times, this is the first step taken to open up your opponent.

Next: to fart or not to fart? The question has been raised many times. The answer is, and I say emphatically, YES! It is an important and versatile tool. Once you figure out the ins and outs, your Bo has taken another important step. It is easily used as an anti-air for those cats that now want to jump in after being tired of getting popped in the head and ankles with that Kane. Read your opponents movements at all times. You're looking for the slightest forward movement. In combination with good ol' intuition and instincts, you're now able to set a very useful trap. It leads to big damage. Mmm, such fun.

Onward. Now, your next tool. It can serve the same purpose as the raw fart as an anti-air, but is to be used when your opponent has a head start. D2. The best uppercut in the game and it isn't even close. Master it to the point you don't miss. It's that good. Now you're slapping people beyond the point they just jumped from. They're getting closer to the spot you want them. The corner. So, now you own the box. You also own the air. It's a no fly zone. Bo's now dominating a portion of the stage and we haven't even had to get up close and personal. But, he's about to.

At this point, 7-8 of 10 opponents are beyond frustrated. It's time to put in work. Someone is abou t to get those hands (and kicks.... ha). Mixups, mixups, mixups. We all know what Go is made of in there. You having the option to rushdown your opponent now, assuming you have been aware of spacing (very important). In his rushdown game, b3, 1+3.... F3, 1+3 are dynamite at 21% and extremely hard to avoid. Especially, if you've baited an opponent that has the ability to neutralize Bo with a slide or roll by rushing and then getting on block just before wake ups and such. Punish these guys with full kombo. Make them aware of the fact that if they miss, it is going to hurt. A smart opponent will take that into consideration at some point. You now have your opponent on its heels. B3, 1+3 or F3, 1+3. Lots of corner carry; 21% a whack. If you have them near the corner you now have the F3, 4 pop-up option to full kombo. Nice.

So, we have them in the corner. No has tons of options here. Personally, that mid starter string that everyone says is so slow works great. B233 cancelled into low Kane or monkey flips (low or OH option) at any point during the string. Your opponent is confused if you're mixing it up right, so they're hesitant to move or panicking if they have no meter to armor out.rushdown be many, many frames into your B233 by the time your opponent reacts after waking up once you get a feel for how many players react to having their backs pressed against the wall. His B2 strings are his big damage strings. Work it in. I find it rather easy myself as "slow" as it is. It is intended to be used at appropriate times. Learn them. Spinning Kane opens up your B2. Break that armor once or twice and check out your opponent's reaction. You now own him.

What does all of this equal and how will your opponent's strategy be altered? This is when they zone, zone, zone. Patience and more patactikombo is an area of concern, but there are a couple of tactics that can be utilized vs most characters. Sumo stomp. Sneak them in. It's possible more times than not. Play head games. Fake the stomp and then rush them and own the sky with that D2. It works like a charm for me. Another tactic I use is to time the release of their projectile and jump it while rushing them down to full kombo them. It has worked rather well for me against many members of the cast. You also have the option to armor through the projectiles of some cast members. So, there are three options right there. Familiarize yourself with which tactic works best against each character. You'll be surprised at how many of these Zoners you can now outsmart. Also, Bo can outzone a few cast members with his stomp.

Bo is now a viable opponent against a great deal of the cast. There are obviously some things in between all of this that are required, but I won't do the job for you. I've given you the blueprint. Learn Bo in and out. His strings and their uses. He has a couple that can cause major confusion if utilized properly. Master his 11 and 12 strings into raw fart to extend kombos after pop-ups for good, meterless damage. Control the tempo by changing the pace. Do it different ways at different times. Be quick, don't hurry. D3 into monkey flips is great after resetting your opponent with Kane snag. Get creative.

Keep all of these things in mind and then some. He has so many options . Discover them. I could go on and on. But, anyway, there's my two cents.

I'll leave you with this:
There ain't no mountain high enough
There ain't no river wide enough
To keep BO from getting to you, baby!!
Bahaha! - B_JunkyardDog_J