What's new

Words of wisdom that have changed/effected your life?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Ok, bored, and this kinda popped into my head.

Do you have anything like this in your life? Some saying, or words of wisdom passed on by someone, that have genuinely changed your life in some way? Doesnt have to be profound, or over-the-top saccharine or anything, just, ya know, something you heard that has made a change in your life?

I'll go first of course.

So, I'm not a self-help kinda guy. Looking at a poster of a little kitten dangling off a bedsheet with a caption that says "Just Hang In There!" doesnt do anything for me. Two pairs of footsteps in the sand that become one when the light bill is due, doesnt do anything for me. All the accumulated wisdom of great prophets and poets and towering intellects.. it doesnt do anything for me. BUt there are two sayings that do. These two little tidbits of knowledge pop into my head almost every day of my life and have a PROFOUND effect on decisions I make, views I hold and pretty much everything else governing my day to day existence.

The first of the two, I read probably 15 years ago. Somewhere around there. Its noteworthy not just because of its effect, but its unlikely origin and, of course, the AMAZINGLY poetic language used. I came across this as part of a Facebook fitness group, a post that gets kinda shunted and shared around. People post self-help style shit on those all the time.. and back then, while far from a "bro" I was making a transition from fighter/boxer to bodybuilder/not-exactly-powerlifter.. I logged on one morning and this is what i saw:

"Just get up bro. Those extra 5 minutes of sleep dont make you less tired bro, they just make you late"

Yeppo. That piece of timeless poetry, double 'bro' and all, has had a PROFOUND effect on my life. Honestly. I read it, didnt think much of it, went about my day. The next day came, I needed to get up, I look at my clock and I have 10 minutes before I HAVE to be up. Like mission critical, no chance, MUST. I close my eyes to lay there for 10m.. And out of nowhere that damn quote just rolled across my mind. And I thought "Well, shit. I can sleep for 5-6-7-8 hours and still feel like shit and be tired.. so this 10m isnt going to help at all. Its just going to mean I dont get to enjoy a cup of coffee, but rather have to inhale the thing as it burns the shit out of me.. I'll get up".. and that is it. Countless times since then, any time I wake up, and have a little bit before I ABSOLUTELY must get up, that little quote just pops up, and I shrug, and drag myself out of bed.

Its not much, it didnt lead to some divine understanding of the greater universe and existence, it just helps me get out of bed a little easier every morning.. SO while its effect isnt, by itself, tremendous, its there almost every single day, and every time the same, silly, double 'bro' quote stands up, all in capital letters, right behind my eyes and it effects the decision that I make. Which in turn effects the decisions that I make throughout the rest of the day. A small thing, but mighty in its way.

Quote number two to come in a bit. i am tired of typing. i will say this, its a nod to my towering ego.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Whenever I did anything in life that I was unsure of accomplishing, getting a girl, be a starter on a team, even playing games with my old man I would always say "I'll try" and everytime I said that my dad would always quote the words of Yoda. "Do or do not. There is no try"

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
My dad always told me “don’t waste your time trying to reason with an unreasonable person, because it’s impossible and will make you look like the jackass.”

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
  • "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself"
  • "Offer help, not advice, in times of crisis"
  • "Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you, go home and play with your kids. If you wanna work here, close"
    (4:45 mark of
    )
  • this one isn't really a quote, but benefit of the doubt is huge for me...if you see/hear something bad about a person, open your mind to the possibility that they're in a tough spot, rather than jumping to the conclusion that they're a crappy person