What's new

Winter Brawl in Philadelphia - February 26th and 27th, 2011 UMK3, MKvDC & MKII

I hope every tourney is bigger than the one before it.

And SBVI will be the biggest MK tourney ever. You can bet on that :D

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Last year's Winter Brawl had 16 players, but the first tournament we held in 2010 at a local tournament on Long Island had 23 players because it was free and nearly everyone in the building played.

We continued to have turn outs into the teens to 20s, I believe Summer Jam had high 20s over the weekend but it was a 16 man tournament, and then Seasons Beatings originally had 37, but it dropped down to 34 by start time. Regardless we broke 32 by October and my goal was to draw 32 by NEC, which brings me to NEC.

When we approached 30 at NEC we capped the tournament at 32 and reached that goal. There were 6 or so other players around but no one who would have really brought the level up much and weren't terribly upset about not playing, because honestly a number of people who support UMK3 also excel in other games which is where they should be. Then a couple players showed up after it finished so basically there were about 40 people who would have played. That blew me away.

The difference between SBR and NECXI was basically the top star power. We had some players who didn't make NEC but as luck would have it they were replaced by fantastic players, and more so. The only way we could make a better tournament would be to combine the turn outs for SBR and NEC basically.

I expect about 24 for Winter Brawl but we could easily see 32 again. Of the players listed, I would say I expect with good likelihood 26 will be there. Storms there are some doubles on your list btw. However there are players not listed who might be coming. I just have to get some confirmations and I'll post a new list asap. Right now my list of 26 is:

1. STORMS
2. AC1984
3. Comeback Kyle
4. Hubbs
5. Tom Brady
6. Snake
7. Dark Rob
8. 9.95
9. REO
10. DC Hustle
11. Professor_Rouse
12. r0kzztar
13. Andrew Ryan (RISSING)
14. Krayzie Bone
15. ViciousShogun
16. BlueIX
17. REYTHEGREAT
18. Marvirrasta
19. Crazy Dominican
20. Shock
21. Summoning
22. SweetJohnnyCage
23. Dave2J
24. Julian
25. LI Joe
26. Kazi

Anyone who isn't on that list either has a long ways to travel, hasn't confirmed with me they will be there, or isn't usually there. Anyone who wants to be put on this list, just let me know and then I'll post it on SRK.

The MKII list will contain a number of those players plus the MKII exclusive players, and then of course the 3D games as well. I need lists for those games as well players.

fugee

Noob
fellas its not about outshining the other majors, its about keeping the game growing so we can get to a World Championship level. In all the years Ive played this game since 95 (starting with MK3) that is, I have never heard of any tournament on a world championship scale. Now that a lot of us have the connections and means to bring other talent from across the globe theres no reason why we cant strive to make that happen.

Noob
fellas its not about outshining the other majors, its about keeping the game growing so we can get to a World Championship level. In all the years Ive played this game since 95 (starting with MK3) that is, I have never heard of any tournament on a world championship scale. Now that a lot of us have the connections and means to bring other talent from across the globe theres no reason why we cant strive to make that happen.
Truth....

Tim, since you live close to him, please go shake this man's hand for me.

Of course, nobody is trying to one up someone else. We just gotta keep pushing everyone else to get bigger and bigger.

The first major West Coast tourney just happened this month, East coast is blowing up, and Midwest is coming together. Sounds like Florida is gonna have a good showing soon too.

All we gotta do is get everyone in the same place at once.

Only thing left is to get those guys from South America out here to challenge with the best players in the U.S.

Back on topic though, I really can't wait for Winter Brawl. I'll be looking forward some of the matchup possibilities in this list.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Of course, nobody is trying to one up someone else. We just gotta keep pushing everyone else to get bigger and bigger.

The first major West Coast tourney just happened this month, East coast is blowing up, and Midwest is coming together. Sounds like Florida is gonna have a good showing soon too.

All we gotta do is get everyone in the same place at once.

Only thing left is to get those guys from South America out here to challenge with the best players in the U.S.

Back on topic though, I really can't wait for Winter Brawl. I'll be looking forward some of the matchup possibilities in this list.
Any plans on attending?

I think I have to focus my efforts on Final Round. There are more CBus people going so it will be easier split hotel/gas cost.

Still excited for this one though, it's gonna be big.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
1. AC1984
2. Nodoubt
3. Shock

Good shit guys, finally Simon wins one!

Nodoubt, good showing but will you STOP JUMPING AT KABAL?!?! kthxbie

Shock, your Sonya was gdlk!

Also a shoutout to Chris G and the Rouse bros, very good showing by all of you.

depending on where, but usually Mame in the NE.
wutttttttt

Why don't they use PS3 for MK2? I know UMK3 the best best one is DS, but why not 360? I would think MAME hinders getting new players and arcade cabinets are just hard to get unless you have a pad converter for JAMMA for the new school players...and MAME is...just off, LOL

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
DS? 90% of the stages lag and the controls are so damn small. There are several DS only corner jab infinites that you can't block and you don't get pushed out.

Even though it has it's problems, the 360 port is better than the DS one by far.

Tim Static

Adminerator
wutttttttt

Why don't they use PS3 for MK2? I know UMK3 the best best one is DS, but why not 360? I would think MAME hinders getting new players and arcade cabinets are just hard to get unless you have a pad converter for JAMMA for the new school players...and MAME is...just off, LOL
yea they do use PS3 for MK2 now. I forgot about that. but the 360 port is just off too. its easy for getting any kind of pad/stick hooked up too.

but yea, mame is off, and the DS port of UMK3 is godlike. wish i hook up a stick to it. :p

PS- my Umk3 cab has pads connected :p

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Right now MAME is the most convoluted, but the best option for getting everyone what they want. We just have to use it.

Congratulations to David Gem and AC1984 for their first tournament wins this weekend in their respective games. I will post more tomorrow, tonight I'll start uploading MKII matches and UMK3 tomorrow.

MKII 19 players: (top 3 for now)

1. David_GEM
2. btbb99
3. DCIguy

UMK3 30 players: (top 3 for now)

1. AC1984
2. NoDoubt
3. Shock

MKvDC (turnout total pending): (top 3 for now)

1. REO
2. Tom Brady
3. Rissing

Thanks again to everyone. Probably 50ish MK players in the house for all 3 games over the weekend. Impressive totals guys.

Edit: MKII Videos are going up now www.youtube.com/theultimatemk and hopefully will finish overnight. If not I'll resume where they leave off since they have a tendency of not completing in bulk uploads.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Damn…where do I start…

What a weekend….I had tons of fun playing and hanging out with the all the MK dudes. If it wasn’t for you guys none of that would’ve happened. Don’t wanna go cheesy and corny so here are the props:

NoDoubtArion – Congratulations on the great UMK3 performance. Very very good stuff man, I was literally blown away from your style…You got 1000 better than NEC and I hope that we will play some games offline soon. Even tho you started playing the game long after me, I feel like I have so much stuff to learn from you. Respect dude!!!

David_GEM – Dude, congratulations man, very good performance in MK2. I played you before and you totally deserved to win. Keep up the good work. Respect!!!!!

Shock – True giant in this game.Oh man…that Sonya blew my mind. At some point I didn’t even know what to do. Thank you so much man for doing all that you do for all of us. Without you and your endless desire and effort to keep MK alive, I wouldn’t even been playing the game. All of my accomplishments I owe to you the most. Thank you Matt….seriously…thank you!!!!!!!

REO – dude, congratulations on winning MK vs DC, unfortunately I came late on Saturday because of work and I couldn’t participate in DC but you my friend rule!!!! Your UMK3 skills are so sick, I almost got a heart attack after the match was over. Every time I play you I get totally blown away from your style, technical skill and sick mind game. Keep up the good work man!!!!!! Mad respect!!!!!!!!!

9.95 – Phil, thank you so much for everything you did this weekend. Also, thank you very much for the beautiful trophy. Your contribution to the community is invaluable. Without you this tournament wouldn’t have happened. With all the stress you got on your had, you my friend kept this event under control. Huge respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Rob – Dude, every time I play and hang out with you, I get so much positive energy. Your game skills have increased so much since the last time we played. Keep up the good work man. Couple more months and you’ll take over, believe me. Mad respect!!!!!!!!!!

Summoning – dude…what do I say…had the best time ever playing MK1 and MK2 while we were drunk and talking metal!!!! Good performance in MK2 and 3. Always a huge pleasure to be around you and I cannot wait to play you again. Respect!!!!!!!!!!

Storms – Thank you so much man for coming, bringing the cab, do all the media, keep all folks updated…thank god the community has you. Your desire and love for the game makes other people happy. Mad respect man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krayzie Bone – Man it was a huge pleasure to finally meet you. We didn’t get to hang out much but I still feel happy. Huge respect for coming all the way from CA to play and support MK. Respect man!!!!!!!!

Aure – Oh man, one of the nicest guys I ever met. It was an honor and tons of fun playing and hanging out with you. Respect!!!!

Arez GOW – dude, what do I say….always a pleasure to hang out and play you…I have so much fun man…Stick to the vicious Night Wolf style man…Its sick!!!!!! I cant wait to play you next weekend man. Respect!!!!!!!!

DCI Guy- Congratulations on the good placement in MK2, truly you are a beast at that game and I think it is only a matter of time for you to dominate. Respect!!!!!!!!!!!

Btbb99 – Very good performance, incredible skills and sick mind game at MK2. Congratulations on the good placement man. It was a huge pleasure to hang you with you this weekend and I hope to see you soon again. Also since we both live in Philly, we can get together and play MK2 offline. Respect dude!!!!!!!!

Dookiebrain – Tons of fun being around you man. Good stuff at MK2 and thank you for coming again to support and play the game. Respect!!!!!!

Tom Brady – Great stuff at MKDC man, you are a giant at the game and your contribution for the community is invaluable. Huge respect man!!!!!!!!!!

Dan and THTB – I didn’t get hang out a lot this weekend with you but thank you for coming and supporting the game. Dan – you have a sick Sindel and Dontay – sick Sonya. Keep up the great work folks!!!!!!!

Rissing – Congrats on the great placement man, I didn’t meet you but still respect your skiils…being right after Brady and Reo means a lot. Respect man!!!!!!

Respect for the rest of the players who played MK - LiJoe, Chris G, Chin, The Rouse borthers, Sweet Johny Cage ,Kyle, Steve etc.

MAD PROPS to our viewers and media dudes. Its all about you guys….i bow to you!!!!!

- Tim Static, Scheiss, Juggs, Konqrr, Check, subzerosmokerain and I’m sure there were many many more. Thank you so much guys!!!! Seriously thank you!!!!

In the end I want to thank ded_, Hanzo, DC Hustle and Lex and Ninja Grinder for giving me some tips and ideas on how to improve my game. Without your help guys I wouldn’t come that far. Mad respect!!!!

Thanks BIG e and Hubbs for you support to MK and holding such a great event!

Ill see you all at ECT3!!!!!

P.S. MarkMan , I play traditional mk layout but I gotta give you credit for the panel. It feel awesome. Great job and respect. I’ll get one soon.

If i forgot someone, Ill come back and edit!

Good shit to everyone involved.

I'm going to spend half of today "working" and watching all of these matches. Can't wait.

And as for the console discussion, the 360 version is the best console port by far. But no controller mapping kills it and it will never be an option.

What about videos ? will they be available ? and where? thank you.
UPDATE: just read the news by shock on main, ok, we will wait for =)

Dark_Rob

Noob
Well another east coast tournament in the bag and for me this was one of the funnest ones yet. Winter Brawl 5 marks my 1 year anniversary since I started going to Big E tournaments, my first obviously being Winter Brawl 4. So much happened and I had so many great moments with so many great people that Im gonna have to really take my time writing this so I can remember it all.

First and foremost, Big Eric and Hubbs. Without you none of this could ever happen. You guys bend over backwards every single time to support MK and to have us at your tournaments and you'll never know just how much we appreciate what you guys do and how much the MK community is in your debt for everything you do to support us.

Shock! In a single word, just Shock! Shock is the foundation upon which all of this has been built. He started with nothing and built what we have from the ground up. His love for the MK community is unparalleled and we all love him back for never giving up, even when no one was playing Mortal Kombat at tournaments and for striving to make every tournament better than the last and get MK the respect it so rightfully deserves. Look how far weve come because of Shock.
But heres the thing about Shock, hes not looking for a medal for what hes done. Hes done everything for love of the game and the community. The best way any of us can thank Shock for everything hes done for us is to simply come down and play in a Mortal Kombat tournament, because thats all he ever really wanted in the first place.
Love you bro, your an inspiration to us all.

9.95(Phil). If Shock is the foundation, then Phil is the workhorse. Phil is the one that "makes shit happen" He brings order to chaos and turns dissonance into harmony. Its easy to imagine that if we did not have Phil we would likely go to these tournaments, get drunk and play casuals all day lol. He is absolutely THE most essential person we have in the community when it comes to running tournaments. There seems to be no limit on his ability to juggle multiple tasks at once and get them all accompished as well.
When we have a question, want to know something or get anything done at all, the person we all turn to is Phil. He is a natural leader and indispensible to the MK community, and he once again made sure everything went smoothly at Winter Brawl. Hes also one of my best friends. Thank you Phil and much love bro.

Storms! Bro your becoming old hat at this by now. Its always great to see you and I was glad I was able to mod your stick and give everyone a chance to check out the awesome MadCatz MK T.E. The roundtable discussion was a great idea and I think we all had alot of fun doing it. And as always thank you for lugging that giant UMK3 mega cab to the tournament. The new sticks and buttons felt great and just have to be broken in a bit more and they will be good to go. Also huge thanks for everything you do with regards to media and filming of the tournament itself. Without you we wouldnt have the thorough documentation of everything that goes down at these events.

Aure. Im really glad you came bro. Anytime you want to come to another one Il always be happy to give you a lift. You have a hysterical sense of humor, and your very laid back and intelligent. The drive home just flew by because of the convo we were having and I hope everything we talked about actually happens. Also thanks for all your tips and encouragement. Also thanks for going on all the food runs bro. If it wasnt for you I dont think I would have eaten once all weekend.

Reo. Reo has become my regular travelling buddy, as I think this is about the 4th tournament Ive brought him out to. To me Reo is the definition of what it means to be a high level player. He learns and adapts faster than any other player Ive ever met, and I still dont understand how the hell he does it. Its like magic watchng him do it. Reo does more than just play the game, he plays the player. I cant wait to get on some MK9 with him. Im gonna camp outside his house with a Playstation lol

Krayzie Bone! Man of all the people I had been dying to meet, I had been looking foward to meeting you for the longest time. When I first joined the MK community you were one of the main people I looked up to and respected I learned alot from you and still continue to. You are just as chill and cool in person as I had always hoped. And I had a great time any moment I got to chill,play and just hang out with you. Thank you so much for the supreme dedication and flying all the way from Cali to come to Winter Brawl. It really made my day to have you there and to have you be apart of the roundtable discussion to because youve done so much for all of us over the years.

Tom Brady. Tom has been going to touraments since the time of the dinosaurs. His first tournament win was against a T.Rex I think lol. But seriously Tom is another one of those people who sees so clearly the direction the MK community needs to keep moving. He is also a natural leader and spokesperson. Its always great to see you bro, and I think come MK9 your gonna get to see tournament MK take off like youve always dreamed it could. On some of the forums I think Tom is often misunderstood, but when you meet and talk to him in person it becomes instantly clear how much he loves the community and how much he wants it to succeed.

Gerchap. Man, what a nice guy. In fact I was disarmed at first by how a nice a guy he was.(snappy dresser to ) It was really great that you drove all the way down from Massachussets to support the tournament scene for Mortal Kombat.
Look I know there has been alot of history between TYM and MKU, but of I can go to a tournament and meet Gerchap, shake his hand, hang out with him, have a good time and talk with him and come away from it feeling good and knowing I had met a genuine and cool guy then I believe there is hope for us all. And I hope one day soon that the history between TYM and MKU can be just that, history. And that we can all begin working together for the greater good and prosperity of the MK community. All of us.

Sweet Johnny Cage. Man of all the moments, I will never forget the epic tourament match I had with SJC in UMK3. For me it was hair raising and a real nail biter. John loves MK and has ALWAYS been one of our biggest supporters. And I know he has huge plans for MK9 at ECT3. All around John is one the coolest guys I have ever met.

Li Joe. Joe is a world renouned fighting game player. Hes known all over the world as a great player in Street Fighter. But his roots are in Mortal Kombat and he has never forgotten that. Thank you so much man for being part of the roundtale discussion and givning us your insights on what we have to do to make MK9 succeed and make it the biggest tournament MK yet.

DanCock. It was great to see you again bro. You did a great job running the MKDC tournament and your a diehard supporter of tournament MK. I hope you keep coming out to these and having a great time as well.

MarkMan. Dude, great freaking job on the "Ultimate edition combat panel" Thanks for the Madcatz T shirt as well as everything your doing to support MK and to support MK9's future at tournaments. As someone who has actually gotten to play on the new Madcatz MK stick, let me tell you guys exactly what Madcatz has done. Its no secret that the original Madcatz SF4 T.E. stick is the most popular, most used and best selling arcade stick in the history of arcade sticks. You cannot go to a tournament without seeing them everywhere and in nearly everyones hands. Now with the "Ultimate edition combat panel" Madcatz has given every player that already has one and wants to play MK9 and easy way to turn they're T.E. into an MK stick. And it WORKS. It works really well. Take it from me because Ive played on it. No one will be dissapointed and it will work excellent for MK9. Just remember for MK you gotta put a battop and a circle gate on the stick for even more authenticity.

Btbb,Dookiebrain,David Gem and DCI guy. ClassicMK all up in Winter Brawl and handlin buisness in MK2. It was great to again see ClassicMK make its dominance in MK2 felt and a tremendous performance between Btbb and David Gem in the grand finals. Congratulations to David Gem on the win. Great showing guys. We did it right this time. MK2 was up early and then we got it blasting on the projector for all to see.

Summoning. One of my favorite guys. The purest player out there. He plays to have fun, he doesnt care what place he comes in or how well he does in tournaments. He just wants to play and have a good time and thats what hes all about. I can sit and play casuals with Summoning forever whether in MK2 or UMK3 I dont care I just have a great time playing with him. Come MK9 Il be on XBL every night with this dude.

AC1984!!! The champ! Simon showed what he was made of this weekend. He played one of his best tournaments ever and walked off with the championship at the top of a very tough bracket.

No Doubt Arion. Man how good is this guy! A tremendous showing in the UMK3 tournament coming in 2nd. And this all from someone who has still been only playing the game for far less than a year. No doubt is a future champion in the making. A year from now no one will be able to touch him.

Riu 48. I had a good time talking to you when you came to my room for some UMK3 casuals friday night. Great stuff man and its good to see you coming out to tournaments more and more.

Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez. I had a really good talk with you outside the hotel about MK9 and it was really great to see a top Street Fighter player so excited for MK9 I really like your idea about having a get together whn MK9 gets released and streaming it.

Arez GOW. Eric Im so glad we were able to get you down bro. You had a really solid performance in the UMK3 tournament and I was glad to see you do so well. Our H.Smoke vs Ermac matches afterwards were also a high point for me. Alot of fun my man. And your just alot of fun to be around. Much love bro.

Im sure Im forgetting tons of people and If I remember I will add them later. But so much happens it such a short span of time its overwhelming trying to remember everything. So please understand If I forgot you it wasnt intentional or malicious. Its just so much information to process at once.

Last but not least I want to give a shout out to everyone on the stream from TYM,CMK,MKU,UMK that watched the stream and supported us and Mortal Kombat at Winter Brawl. Thank you guys.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
UMK3 videos going up now, some videos get cut off in the beginning here and there because I forgot to hit capture but they are complete for the most part.