What's new

Winning face-to-face close-range combat in MKX

MKX is my first fighter, and I'm loving it. My online record is 525-400, but I win mostly with special moves and regular moves with extended range. When I find myself up in the face of the enemy, I do anything and everything to distance myself because I *always* lose the battle to pull off "regular" combos.

As Scorpion Ninjutsu, my wins are almost entirely based off of F2.

As Ermac Master of Souls, my wins are almost entirely from raw air Soul Balls (weird, I know, but 90% of online opponents fall for it repeatedly), and relentlessly D3 into F4xxSoul Ball.

As Shinnok Bone Shaper, I control space with Hell Sparks and his far reaching bone staff/spear moves.

Anytime an enemy comes near me, I block until I can back dash or jump away.

People who lose to me rage so hard about how I'm a noob, I'm skillless, I'm a pussy, etc.

To be honest I'm not completely dissatisfied with where I'm at, considering that I started three months ago from absolutely nothing. But I want to learn how to hang in close range fisticuffs.

I'm aware of frame data, but even so I just can't get my regular combos out fast enough. I always have a slight hint of hesitation, and right when I decide to attack, I'm a few milliseconds too late --- the enemy hits me first.

I don't know how to "train" on this particular point. Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Well, one of the easiest answers is find ways to transition in to damage off your fastest normals..I'm not familiar with Scorp, but look for strings and combo starters off his fast normals.

Additionally, you don't always have to strike first. Learn what you can punish and learn a couple good punish combos. When your in a phone booth with someone , let them sttike first. Block, punish.

The rest is reading and trying to anticipate what your opponent is doing. If he likes to let loose with the same thing every time, adjust, find a way to beat it or nullify it.

Throw is strong up close. Easy and it resets the situation letting you build your distance back and play the zoning game you seem to favor.