What's new

Will tag mode ever be taken seriously?

Saw alot of money tag matches post Evo, and they were very entertaining. I know people say its broken, but I still think think it would be nice to see in it tourneys every once in a while.

oops. could someone move this to the mk9 general discussion?

Gosh I hope not. I say leave that random broken shit to Marvel. :)

It would be a huge mistake for NRS to even try and make the tag mode better for MK10. Waste of resources, waste of time. They should just concentrate on the core gameplay, frame data, 2D hitboxes, training mode and netcode.

Seems like every tag game ever was broken, so I don't see that as a valid excuse from trying to play it competitively. I want to see pros break the game!

on that note: do you have links to those matches? I've been dying to see tag in the hands of people who aren't "scorpionking69" or "camaroboobs420" on the couch with their friend whos just waiting to do a naked xray and rage quit when it fails.

@vulcan: you realize all of those things would improve tag mode

I really like tag, 2v2 tag is better imo because you have to by sync with your partner so they can be ready to continue juggles or be ready for that safe tag in. It adds a shitload more strategy like when to hard tag or how to make a safe tag or when should i juggle, all that and meter management is gonna be insanely hard to balance out between two ppl. Its going to take alot of work to be really broken. I've yet to see an EASY to do 100% combo in singles or 2v2, and if there is one for 2v2 it most likely takes meter and eliminates half of ur opponents team so that leaves ur opponent alone with full meter so theres alot of possibilities for comebacks.

PS: The next tournament at 8bit is going to have a tag side tourny, everyone's going to be new to it but we'll see wat happens, idk if its going to be streamed yet

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Gosh I hope not. I say leave that random broken shit to Marvel. :)

It would be a huge mistake for NRS to even try and make the tag mode better for MK10. Waste of resources, waste of time. They should just concentrate on the core gameplay, frame data, 2D hitboxes, training mode and netcode.
This.
Tag is basically a cute extra. Something fun to do at parties. I say leave all the broken tag combos and shit in there (Hell, why not?), but there definitely shouldn't be any manpower really spent on making it better/balancing it.

how the hell is tag mode broken?
check out tyler lanterns youtube page. he has many tag combos shown where the damage ranges from 60 - 80% and even some beyond. they seem extremely difficult to pull off, especially with two players playing on each team. I think the high damage combos are good though, cause without it, you would probably see a large amount of time out matches in high level play.

check out tyler lanterns youtube page. he has many tag combos shown where the damage ranges from 60 - 80% and even some beyond. they seem extremely difficult to pull off, especially with two players playing on each team. I think the high damage combos are good though, cause without it, you would probably see a large amount of time out matches in high level play.
i've seen some off his tag combo videos. first off all, when he is doing those combos(or when anybody does combo videos) they are not playing real matches. second you could do 60% combos with some characters in one v one.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
While it is a nice interesting mode to have. I really hope it never becomes accepted as a legitimate gametype among tournament level players.

Whats wrong with big combos? For one theres only like 1 100% combo, and second theres 2 characters and a breaker. Theres alot of strategy and communication involved in 2v2, its not like everything is easy in 2v2 mode.

Metalic

Noob
Tag's fun, but it shouldn't (and likely won't) ever be taken seriously in MK9. The combo damage isn't the problem - most of the Youtube combos are 3 bars on top of high damage being somewhat needed in 2vs2, or else the matches would be extremely slow. The problem is everything else in tag mode. It's not exactly polished, and without good support it probably won't be. Kind of a catch22 for tag mode if you will. Things like the KL/Cyrax glitch are making it very unattractive, so it probably won't get the constant support it needs to be a legit mode. On top of that it just doesn't feel that...smooth to play, for me at least.

aj1701

Noob
I think the bold part is important. If any jackass can do an 80% combo in tag, thats one thing. But lets see what actually happens. I'd be suprised if the fighter being comboed didn't quickly build enough meter to break it.

Before ruling it out as broken, lets see some high level tag play. I mean, that's what everyone was saying about broken characters and KL before Evo right? Why should tag be different?

While it is a nice interesting mode to have. I really hope it never becomes accepted as a legitimate gametype among tournament level players.
Care to explain why not?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I can't even do combos that often because a Tag Special ( down foward tag ) can be done with a dash and a tag(so Foward Foward Tag)...which is annoying as hell.

Justice

Noob
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of tag mode being refined for competitive use but I don't see it catching on personally. It is a lot of fun to play and exciting to watch but at least for MK9 it's too glitchy to catch on.

Dark Eve

Outworld Ninja
My opinion about tag is pretty simple. I wouldn't mind playing tag with my fiancee since it be sorta like entertainment like Test Your Luck, but personally I rather stick with the single character play since that is what I'm more familiar with. Now it would be different to see tag in tournaments so I wouldn't mind seeing it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think in a 4 player 2 on 2 is more tournament style it can be more competitive, one person controlling two characters is one thing...4 people at once, 2 on a team timing the crazy TT combos together is another...and there was that one tag team teams tournament few months ago I think in Florida, heard it was fun if I'm not mistaken.