What's new

Will RUSHDOWN be mad strong in MK11?

There's been discussion about zoning; there's been discussion about neutral and footsies; and with changes such as the addition of invincible wakeups - including a two-direction roll -, drastic reduction to armored options, separate offensive and defensive meters, automatic meter regeneration for both the attack and defender, and a seeming prevalence of setup potential among characters, and such neat things as comboing specials off of low pokes, i think it's about time we fired up the rushdown hype.

What i'm feeling hopeful for is that staggers will become incredibly strong, now that armor is not just nerfed, but entirely missing for some characters - though i also forsee a reduction in plus frames across the board, which shouldn't hurt staggers that much; oki will have a lot of variation among characters, with the inclusion of three invincible wakeup options (2 rolls, 1 attack) making walkback shimmies a powerful option and encouraging the use of character specific setups ala baraka flag into armored rush to absorb invincible attacks, geras delayed sand pillar at the end of a combo into walkback and sub-zero shenanigans with puddle and hovering iceball; a more pronounced emphasis on universal throw mixups, with throws now delivering crushing blow for incorrect teching, d1-special potentially being a throw punish, and throws also being used to counter invincible roll (afaik); corner seems to be especially important, since it helps with countering the now strong wakeup game and allows to engage in throw mixups without giving up distance.

But yeah, here's to that i can encourage some speculation and discussion on my favorite part of MK games.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I could honestly see now how my clickbait title about zoning totally fucked with some people on the other thread now lol.

On topic, I think rushdown will be good, but I like the fact that landing hits won't be handed to the offender on a silver platter just because they are the first to press the offense. They've stressed so many times that they are straying away from safe 50/50s which is awesome because it rewards proper reads on defense and gives more importance to the neutral.

Because wakeups are tied to a meter and you have to choose between a crappy short-ranged armor wakeup or a bigger anti-air wakeup with no armor, I think that there is potential for some absolutely GREAT oki setups after certain knockdowns. In the corner shit must get nuts if the opponent doesn't have any meter to escape.

I hope the next character they reveal focuses on up close offense.

Last edited:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The sheer amount of posts like this gets so tiring that one just stops reading the long ass OP’s after a while.
Gotta agree with you man.

I changed my thread title. It wasnt a good idea because people assume the OP's stance. I didn't know I'd start an unhealthy chain. Oops?

MAD STRONG
What is it with the vocabulary of people nowadays...?

I wonder if said "plain language" (-Steve Bannon) phenomenon has any correlation to peoples' desire for increasingly simplified gameplay mechanics in the, now, ubiquitous pastime of video gaming...

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAQAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAAHAHSHSDHASHDASHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!.

No.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Honestly, I don't think so especially when compared to MK X. That's not to say it won't be possible or even better with certain characters but it won't be MK X again and Thank God for that.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
To me this looks like the most balanced MK game so far. Who knows what's to come but less emphasis on the guess 50/50, Armor out for free turn steal, no more armor launching safe specials, no more building meter for throwing out 50/50's and projectile spam. It seems like they are focusing on neutral more, footsies and toned down many aspects of MKX/MK9 that rewarded agressor over defenders.
I'm sure we can do more damage than what's her shown but the idea that they toned down damage can be a good thing offering players more back and forth, not resting a match upon a couple misreads but instead a plethora of opertunities to overcome your opponent and adapt to their playstyle in game.

Potentially MK11 is the best fighting game I've seen. But we don't have much info on it, the gameplay we have seen was far from experienced or enlightened so I guess it's a waiting game until we get our hands on all characters and in the lab.