What's new

will nrs keep breaking cyrax?

NariTuba

disMember
Uh, I consider consistent 2nd and 3rd place finishes in tournaments filled with the best players in the country to mean...YES, he 100% dominates.
Could you please list those for me? Ammount of majors played and of those how many Cyrax players in the top 3. Also who the players were.

EDIT: Even if its true that Cyrax had "consistent" placings in the top 3 this could be attributed simply to player preference... by that logic all characters that placed top 3 need nerfing till the end of time. Domination in the context of this thread means consistenly getting first place when played by different players using resets.

Past

Noob
The title should be renamed "Will NRS continue balancing Cyrax?"

I cant believe that people are trying to defend Cyrax's resets. Sub-Zero lost his and he is still a viable character. Bringing Jax into this does not change anything. If he loses his reset he will still be viable. It will be the same for Cyrax. A character does not need to be top tier to win.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
To be honest though there arent exactly that many Cyrax players compared to other characters like say Kitana or Kung Lao so obviously theres gonna be less at the top.

On top of that the Cyrax players out there arent usually top players in the first place, Maxter and Mustard being the only 2 I've ever seen place well.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Interesting points in this thread. I remember someone brought up a very good solution, which was just to increase his damage scaling after the reset. That would be simple and keep the character the same so that those who use him don't have to relearn him. Plus, it would make for lower damage combos. Cyrax is not much of a threat character, but if people are really willing to stop playing the game if he is not patched again than this would be the most easy and logical solution.
Unfortunately, I don't think adding scaling after the reset is possible; the problem is it counts as a whole new combo which restarts the damage scaling. If there was a way to get the whole thing to combo, it would require altering the properties of his moveset WHICH IS WHAT MAXTER BROUGHT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Please. Everyone read this carefully.

IT ISN'T ABOUT THE DAMAGE

Not once has anyone said "Cyrax needs the extremely high damage to win" (unless I missed someone saying that somewhere, but I don't think so)

You know what they say about things that aren't broken: don't "fix" them

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
To be honest though there arent exactly that many Cyrax players compared to other characters like say Kitana or Kung Lao so obviously theres gonna be less at the top.

On top of that the Cyrax players out there arent usually top players in the first place, Maxter and Mustard being the only 2 I've ever seen place well.
3 actually... Darth arma to me has the most complete cyrax ive seen on stream, not to disrespect mustard and maxter, cause i think they are more battle tested but i really like his cyrax.

Im going to try to change that number in the next few months as well : )

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Give Cyrax CSZ bombs and he won't have any more resets.

Then in two weeks time people will complain that Cyrax's bombs are garbage.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
i dont see any reason to close it, its still on topic and no one's throwing insults around or anything, its good discussion.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Look guys. Cyrax's make up was always going to cause trouble in a 2D game with no run ability.

Again, look at his design, a character that can spit bombs at 3 ranges, then throw out a net that is combo-able, and will catch a jump away attempt, and if you do it too close, he has a specific anti air move, it was always going to be tricky taming a character like this, and for me, there is an answer.

Scale his damage after a bomb hit, making his game play not centre around his combo damage, This character has all the tools to win, he doesn't need that damage, especially at the cost of one bar.

And because Cyrax players are so focused on using his meter on combos, they miss out and neglect his other very useful tools...:en Net that drains meter, :en Reverse kick command throw that starts low, and is 100% safe on block not to mention an:x that is an anti air with armour that is combo-able into and out of, which will lead to 50%+ a bomb afterwards:

JIP, :bp:fp :x, :fp Net, :l:bp, :fp:bp:fp - Bomb - Pressure...and that is never used, it makes me sick that a tool as good as that is over looked for a one bar combo.

Sadly, ALL this stuff is overlooked in favour of his large combos, and unless they get removed, Cyrax's true build and potential will never be used.

I like the way Cyrax is, a tricky character. But he should be tricky with average damage per combo of 25%, not 60%. id like to see his old tricks getting back but a huge nerf in his combos' average damage

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I like the way Cyrax is, a tricky character. But he should be tricky with average damage per combo of 25%, not 60%. id like to see his old tricks getting back but a huge nerf in his combos' average damage
Cyrax would survive perfectly well with 40-45%, one bar combos, everyone else does.

REO

Undead
This is why the past MK games were the shit. There was no patching involved, you either put up or shut up. Massive cries and tears did nothing, you were forced to better your game if you wanted to compete. Not to mention, everything "broken" in this game is child's play compared to what everyone had to deal with back in the day:

shura30

Shura
What Im saying is that people need to be more humble when preseting their arguments.
i'd say welcome to the internet
if you plan to enter any thread with 100% good intentions well, you already failed
you should focus on solid and good statements ignoring trolls bs

People will be discouraged to participate in tournaments if a character is stupid OP and keeps winning tournaments...
we're lucky that at this stage mk is (considered) fairly balanced
so you have character variety even if tournaments partecipants are still the same with minor additions since evo2011

mk longevity don't need any other bs than currently have (input bug, random meter drain etc etc)

cyrax need to touch you once to either win the round or to gain a ridicolous advantage
and i've already told you that exNet usage is not what it should be
so you have a character capable kill the main defense against big damage (breakers) who already have insane damage due to an exploit to the engine

if cyrax will move down some tiers it will be better for some other characters that need to struggle the whole time for half bar damage still getting raped once a net trade from fullscreen

and they couldnt possibly prepare for all possible outcomes of such a large scale game.
as far as my memory can go back in fighting game history
every time there was an otg capable special/tag character
there was big unescapable damage and cheapness, cyrax had an infinite with the same pattern in mk3 too
so since humans can evolve you should expect mistakes to never repeat with time

Was KL spin nerf proof that the move was OP (hence not intentional)?
yes
but now it's just a good move
previously, a successful spin bait (for some characters) meant nothing right now it's an high risk/reward situation which still keep kunglao a viable tournament character..

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Can anyone produce actual match footage of a full cyrax reset besides the one time Maxter caught Chris G?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I miss the Bojutsu :(. And Quan Chi's dual broadswords. And enormous 3-style combos...

Give us back Deathtraps? Deathtraps would be sexy...

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Can anyone produce actual match footage of a full cyrax reset besides the one time Maxter caught Chris G?
Again...they can't complain about that one, that particular one is escapable.

People are complaining about the ones that involve the net which are inescapable...or at least i think they're complaining about those ones.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Again...they can't complain about that one, that particular one is escapable.

People are complaining about the ones that involve the net which are inescapable...or at least i think they're complaining about those ones.
Even better. Can anyone produce footage of anyone using an entire 80%+ combo reset in an actual match? (I'm betting they can't)

Mine (and maxter's) whole point is, due to the nature of the game, patching out his resets would require altering properties of the rest of his move set. This fucks with how the character is played as a whole.

Cyrax's damage out put ON PAPER is really high, but that's not how things happen IN PRACTICE.

Because of this, it doesn't make sense to fuck up a character over something THAT ISN'T A BIG DEAL. Cyrax IS NOT god tier/broken tier/lag tier/hat tier/on a high tier by himself. WTF people?

If they can find a way to reduce Cyrax's ON PAPER damage output to appease the lynch mob without screwing up his moveset, I don't have an issue with it and I don't think Maxter would either.

IF THEY CAN'T, LEAVE HIM ALONE.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Even better. Can anyone produce footage of anyone using an entire 80%+ combo reset in an actual match? (I'm betting they can't)

Mine (and maxter's) whole point is, due to the nature of the game, patching out his resets would require altering properties of the rest of his move set. This fucks with how the character is played as a whole.

Cyrax's damage out put ON PAPER is really high, but that's not how things happen IN PRACTICE.

Because of this, it doesn't make sense to fuck up a character over something THAT ISN'T A BIG DEAL. Cyrax IS NOT god tier/broken tier/lag tier/hat tier/on a high tier by himself. WTF people?

If they can find a way to reduce Cyrax's ON PAPER damage output to appease the lynch mob without screwing up his moveset, I don't have an issue with it and I don't think Maxter would either.

I do it all of the time. And when I don't, my opponent either breaks or dies before it reaches 80%

Are you saying 80% resets are not a big deal? See you in 2 weeks.

[EDIT]

I think a damage nerf would of been fine. I honestly don't believe he can be fixed either.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

But how much damage do you actually take? I'd on average he gets 50% out of his combo's. Still a ton... regardless. I understand what you're getting at though. I think we'd all like to know what exactly would break his move set though?

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Have to agree on that, i never thought i'd say it but he literally can't be fixed.

Let's say they do in fact remove his net resets which are his sure fire inescapable damage resets without altering any other aspects of the character.
Even if they do that, yesterday by accident i found a reset that can't be rolled or jumped out and about 80% of the EX wakeup attacks in the game won't work, i tried this particular reset with sektor's EX TU and the bomb interrupted it and launched him. Im not planning on releasing it nor using it, it's probably the most broken thing cyrax has right now.

Oh and it does 70%+ damage so yeah, im not adding wood to that fire fellewrsss!

Sadly, the only way to "fix" cyrax to please the masses is to just give him CSZs bombs, plain and simple.

galindo

Noob
krayzie has done that sometimes to me even online lol.

and well
yeah theres not much they can do to "fix" him, without removing big parts of his game.
easy way out would be to do a damage nerf...i would be content with that move.