What's new

Will MK12 finally bring Cross Platform play to Mortal Kombat?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
After Sony's acquisition of Bungie, and all the talk about Sony games being on multiple platforms / rival consoles, do you think we will finally be able to have a unified MK community across PC, PS, Xbox, and all the other comparable platforms? Do you even want that?

My opinion, I've been waiting for the 1-console future for a long time. It will be great to finally have 1 MK community across all the platforms.

IMO Having the option of crossplay that can be changed in the menu is a given. Some games are already doing this so it makes sense for fighting games going forward. As long as we are given a choice and it's not forced than I don't see a problem with it.

After Sony's acquisition of Bungie, and all the talk about Sony games being on multiple platforms / rival consoles, do you think we will finally be able to have a unified MK community across PC, PS, Xbox, and all the other comparable platforms? Do you even want that?

My opinion, I've been waiting for the 1-console future for a long time. It will be great to finally have 1 MK community across all the platforms.
I hope so. Crossplay is something I expect to see a lot of this generation and certainly seems to be the direction Microsoft wants to go in.

Whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Crossplay really has little to do with the devs and more to do with the companies who make hardware or own the networks their games are made for.

I'm going to get a Xbox Version this time.. with the acquisition of Activision/Blizzard M$ has a metric ton of content that they can make exclusive at a whim.... the hardware is good and most importantly you can actually buy it, playstation is still impossible to get anywhere... and also they have integrated Xbox Live directly into Windows 11 so all Xbox MK Players will already have cross play with PC Players. So the only people that will hold up cross play is Sony as by default, right out of the bag the Xbox version will already be 1/2 way to full cross play.

It seems to me that the best option for cross play, is Xbox... as it is already cross play with PC, and then if they can make a deal it can Cross with Playstation they will.

so all Xbox MK Players will already have cross play with PC Players.
Sadly that's not the case (yet), but is something they hope to add in the future. Currently, the Microsoft Store (PC) version of Mortal Kombat 11 can not krossplay with the Xbox console version.

Now that I think about it, wasn't/isn't there cross play between Xbox and PS is some mode in MK11?
Yes, there's krossplay between Xbox One/Xbox Series/PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5, but only through a specific room. There's no shared Kombat League or anything.

The same goes for current to last gen. It's no shared between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, as I understand it. You still need to use the Krossplay rooms. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Onilordasmodeus

Yes, there's krossplay between Xbox One/Xbox Series/PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5, but only through a specific room. There's no shared Kombat League or anything.

The same goes for current to last gen. It's no shared between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, as I understand it. You still need to use the Krossplay rooms. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.
PS4 and PS5 can't play together? That is crazy.

I really want FULL crossplay between the versions.

The specific Krossplay rooms, and in Kasual matches if you enable the Krossplay (beta) toggle.

I do wonder why they never enabled it for Ranked as well? Seems to work fine the few times i've played people on PS.

Onilordasmodeus

As I understand it they can, but only via the Krossplay rooms. So not Kombat League or anything.

You can read the official FAQ here: https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040410273
It's just weird to me that the PS4 and PS5 are treated as completely different platforms. Then again I guess it isn't that crazy as that is how it has been for all the PS consoles, but I guess having been on Xbox for the last gen, and seeing how MS has kind of merged the X1 and the Series console communities into one (not to mention all the backwards compatibility for the 360 and OG Xbox) I sort of thought Sony had already started going in that direction.

It's just weird to me that the PS4 and PS5 are treated as completely different platforms. Then again I guess it isn't that crazy as that is how it has been for all the PS consoles, but I guess having been on Xbox for the last gen, and seeing how MS has kind of merged the X1 and the Series console communities into one (not to mention all the backwards compatibility for the 360 and OG Xbox) I sort of thought Sony had already started going in that direction.
It's the same with Xbox One and Xbox Series though, as I understand it. Crossplay is only through the special Rooms, and there's no Crossplay yet between the console versions and the Microsoft Store PC version.

Considering aspects of crossplay with the game are now in "beta" forever, I'm hoping they'll take what they learn and apply it properly, and in greater measure, between the platforms for their next game.

My expectation: Full crossplay will exist between PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and Microsoft Store (PC), but not with Steam or (if this version will exist) Switch. At best, they'll have limited crossplay with those platforms, and certainly not Ranked.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Sadly that's not the case (yet), but is something they hope to add in the future. Currently, the Microsoft Store (PC) version of Mortal Kombat 11 can not krossplay with the Xbox console version.
that is because it was made before... all the new games will be. They would have to make significant changes to mk11 to do that... but the next game will be made for this new system, which is now the default.

that is because it was made before... all the new games will be. They would have to make significant changes to mk11 to do that... but the next game will be made for this new system, which is now the default.
We hope that'll be the case. We don't know for sure yet. I do think there's a very good chance.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
If they leave their PC version of the game with exploits like they did with MK11, I don't see PC participating in any sort of cross platform play ever.

As for consoles, they already pulled it off for Xbox/PS in casual matches for MK11 so it's a possibility for full cross play moving forward.

If they leave their PC version of the game with exploits like they did with MK11, I don't see PC participating in any sort of 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 cross platform play ever.

As for consoles, they already pulled it off for Xbox/PS in casual matches for MK11 so it's a possibility for full cross play moving forward.
that's right , but pc fans are widely spread and they have an influence on how these decisions are made

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It better be, everyone's big on playing fighters on PC these days (I don't know why), and I don't wanna play a next gen fighter on a PS4 because PS5s are still a freaking myth and don't exist.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
IMO Having the option of crossplay that can be changed in the menu is a given. Some games are already doing this so it makes sense for fighting games going forward. As long as we are given a choice and it's not forced than I don't see a problem with it.
Why would it matter if it was forced? Is the connection worse when across platform?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
apart from combo macros that weak minded fucks use, what other exploits are there?
I would think macros alone would be enough to turn people off.

I couldn't tell you tbh. I was speaking generally as far as crossplay between console users and PC users. Not specifically FGs or MK11.